Herochat

Solo a star wars story

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
Re: Solo a star wars story
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »
I feel like Boba Fett continuing the groundwork laid in Solo is not guaranteed... but is likely. 75% likely.

There is no Solo sequel in the works currently. The next films are Ep IX and then Boba Fett, which is likely followed by something from the new trilogy (as Lucasfilms seems to be doing saga film, “Star Wars story”, saga film, etc). So unless Solo 2 is 4 years out, they probably just continue shit in Boba.

And hey, 4 years is not so long... but Disney is pushing Lucasfilms to produce like Marvel. They want billions years from each franchise.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »

And hey, 4 years is not so long... but Disney is pushing Lucasfilms to produce like Marvel. They want billions years from each franchise.

Does Disney understand the saying,"Less is better."?
It's not so much the pumping out a movie every year but the merchandise saturation in between is ridiculous.

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »

It's not so much the pumping out a movie every year but the merchandise saturation in between is ridiculous.

Is it? I cant say I've felt particularly surrounded by Star Wars merchandise in the past few years unless I was standing in the Star Wars toy aisle at KMart or whatever.

I think this film suffered from:

1) A genuine, general audience disenchantment with The Last Jedi
2) Bad buzz/pre-release stories about Lord & Millar getting fired etc
3) The idea of a young Han Solo film where he is played by some unknown, very much not-Harrison-Ford actor is not necessarily instantly appealing. Its the sort of thing that people would be curious about but the idea that this was guaranteed to make ridiculous amounts of money (without major buzz/WOM) seemed misguided.

therock

• +45/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »

Well it worked for marvel they figure

But differnet is marvel allows for more broad range of stories.  Since you talking about decades of very varied comics by multiple offers. Some character who started out in there own universe, there own seperate generas. and multiple versions

While the star war universe seem center on the skywalkers struggle.  And that not even factoring they saying the extended universe didnt happen.  I mean how many times can we see the fucking Death Star

Now they could do smaller stories. Like something set any a bounty hunter universe, not involving anyone we seen before. make it smaller budget, and make Jon Wick money. But they want infinity war money...and not every movie going to make that per year

Last Jedi was them trying to break away from the old stories but they did it in a fuck up way

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
Yeah, Star Wars has trouble branching out.  When it comes to Star Trek, they can always pick a different time period and have an entirely different ship and crew.  At Marvel, they have a wide variety of characters and genres to play around with that can keep things fresh.  Even the James Bond franchise reinvents itself every few years despite them all being about one dude.

Star Wars is highly reluctant to branch away from the Empire and Skywalkers.  I hated that they brought back the Empire and the Not-Palpatine in the sequels.  They should have created an entirely new set of villains.  Or they could have gone to the EU books and brought in that race who hated technology.  Or they could have had the Knights of Ren be the bad guys as they keep getting teased in the new films but never do anything.  If they wanted to take the franchise in a new direction, getting a new set of villains is the way to go.  With the "A Star Wars Story" movies taking place between the OT and PT, there were plenty of chances to do Empire flicks for the old school fans who wanted to see Stormtroopers while the sequels did its own thing.

Uhtceare

• +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
I think the very nature of the Star Warsverse makes branching out difficult for much the same reason that it is difficult to branch out from the Narniaverse: in both cases good and evil are something extremely pure and defined. There's not a whole lot of room for ambiguity and nuance in a universe where evil is actual stuff that warps you after you start on a certain life-path. Star Wars, Narnia, LOTR, they are all about Epic Good vs Epic Evil, and that makes for a good self-contained story or two, but doesn't lend itself to a long-term franchise. Comics are better with this sort of thing, because there is more ambiguity, and it isn't clear if Good and Evil are even objective things.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »
I think the very nature of the Star Warsverse makes branching out difficult for much the same reason that it is difficult to branch out from the Narniaverse: in both cases good and evil are something extremely pure and defined. There's not a whole lot of room for ambiguity and nuance in a universe where evil is actual stuff that warps you after you start on a certain life-path. Star Wars, Narnia, LOTR, they are all about Epic Good vs Epic Evil, and that makes for a good self-contained story or two, but doesn't lend itself to a long-term franchise. Comics are better with this sort of thing, because there is more ambiguity, and it isn't clear if Good and Evil are even objective things.

Star Wars has redemption stories, so there's room for grayer ideas than good vs evil.  Rogue One certainly showed a darker side of the Rebellion and the prequels showed that the Jedi didn't always make the best decisions.  Aside form that, you can still have good vs evil and branch off.  The sequels could focus on a different group of ultimate evil guys and make it fresh.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »
Really enjoyed it a lot. The force is great and all but I really liked seeing a Star Wars movie where they never mentioned it. Enjoyed the scoundrels. Part of me hopes they do the sequel that this is clearly open for though part of me knows I would not enjoy it as much

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 09:45:35 PM »
I'm avoiding seeing this. Much like with Logan's origin, I think it will take the mystery out of Han Solo a bit and not live up to the hype.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 06:52:11 AM »
How he gets his cool last name is kind of dumb, but it doesn’t have much hype to live up to. RT only has it at about 71%

Personally was only hearing luke warm to negative things so was very pleasantly surprised.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Yeah, the last name thing was dumb, but it’s very good action-heist movie.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
How he gets his cool last name is kind of dumb, but it doesn’t have much hype to live up to. RT only has it at about 71%

Personally was only hearing luke warm to negative things so was very pleasantly surprised.

I meant the hype of his somewhat mysterious past. I think some characters are better when their pasts are left a bit mysterious.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• +90/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
I never saw Han as a character with a mysterious past. Not like Wolverine or Boba Fett anyways.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 06:06:16 AM »

Is it? I cant say I've felt particularly surrounded by Star Wars merchandise in the past few years unless I was standing in the Star Wars toy aisle at KMart or whatever.

It's not just the toy aisle.
A lot of food snacks & drinks are now permanently packaged with a Star Wars theme regardless of whether there's a Star Wars related movie on screen.
Our local plant nursery now stocks Star Wars designed pots & gnomes.
And the local pet shop now has a range of Star Wars costumes you can dress your dogs in.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 04:27:14 AM »
I never saw Han as a character with a mysterious past. Not like Wolverine or Boba Fett anyways.
That's because we knew all we needed to by the Mos Eisley scene where he kills Greedo and is hired as the pilot, who he was before Ep.4 doesn't matter. All he character growth happens in the OT.