« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 07:50:59 AM »
Oh and I swear I thought Willow died irl lol

AP

• +93/-52
    • View Profile
Re: Solo a star wars story
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
Where was Clint Howard?

He was the ring master in the droid arena that L3 grabbed by the face.

Heh.  I'm surprised I didn't recognize him.

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
Oh and I swear I thought Willow died irl lol

You're probably getting him mixed up with Verne Troyer.

AP

• +93/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
That's racist, probably.

80sBaby

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
^^^^^^Hahaha

No, I really was thinking of Willow but due to how old I figure he is.

AP

• +93/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
^^^^^^Hahaha

Warwick Davis was a child when he was in Return of the Jedi and was in his 20's when he did Willow, so he's not too old.

Master

• +40/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
Just saw it. Really really good without being great. But the best part? No stupid shit plot holes or dumb character moments. No prequel garbage exposition scenes.

This also needs a sequel. Or will Boba after be like the sequel?
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

80sBaby

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »
^^^^^^Hahaha

Warwick Davis was a child when he was in Return of the Jedi and was in his 20's when he did Willow, so he's not too old.

Ok, gotcha.

Just saw it. Really really good without being great. But the best part? No stupid shit plot holes or dumb character moments. No prequel garbage exposition scenes.

This also needs a sequel. Or will Boba after be like the sequel?

I agree this needs a sequel. Also I was surprised Thandie Newton was in this.

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
And Lando is amazing in this. But no, I don’t think he warrants his own movie for THIS stage of his life. Why? Lando is not a hero at this point in his life. He is pure smuggler and swindler. He does care for others, but he is not willing to sacrifice his life for a greater cause.

With the death of L3, it seems like he is riding solo for a while. If you center a movie around him, my big worry is that they would make him be the reluctant hero.

Han is a cocky jerk with a heart of gold. He doesn’t go looking to for good deeds, but he will help others when push comes to shove. Lando is a cocky jerk who would rather live to swindle another day. He doesn’t have his hero turn until Empire, and that’s mostly due to getting cornered by the Imperials and having no choice but to join the fight for good.

80sBaby

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
And Lando felt guilt.

However, I disagree that he wouldn't make a good protagonist. The Lando series Marvel put out last year was pretty good, imo. They showed he cares for others in his reaction to L3's death. You can make him sympathetic.

Also, love how he dipped out with no hesitation in this film lol

AP

• +93/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »
As for a sequel, the movie is doing very poorly, so I doubt it will get one.  If they go ahead with the Boba Fett movie, they might bring in Han and resolve the Maul/Qi'ra thing while they're at it.

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
The Boba Fett  movie can easily be about Crimson Dawn vs the Hutts with Fett and Han stuck in the middle.

Riv1

• +50/-1035
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 12:54:32 AM »
Boba Fett. That one’s not a big deal for me.

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »
It’s sad that TLJ tainted the brand (say what you want about TFA being too safe, but it was wildly popular with audiences) and that the Lord and Miller firing tainted this film’s rep in advance. Because it is entertaining without being super connected to the storylines of the prequels or OT.

It’s a pre-Rebellion period where the young Empire is firmly in control. While the Empire is definitely portrayed as over-bearing, I didn’t get the feeling that people viewed them as evil. Han clearly saw enrollment as a good way to escape the crime syndicate of his world. He starts to get the idea that the Empire isn’t being 100% just and noble during the infantry battle (“This is their planet... we’re the hostile.”), but nowhere is the Empire talked about or treated as a force of pure evil.

I liked that the criminal factions were the bad guys, and that people like Han, Beckett, and Lando have to carefully navigate jobs for the criminal factions to make a living while avoiding the Empire and avoiding pissing off any big fish.

It really was a different story-telling venue within the larger universe. A sequel where Han, Chewie, Lando, and Boba Fett are working for Jabba to undermine or steal from Crimson Dawn? Where Han has to deal with Qi’ra and Maul? Yes fucking please.

Qi’ra and Enfys Nest were also better female characters than Phasma, Hondo, and Rose. Qi’ra is an actual damn three dimensional character and I like that she’s living by a new philosophy after getting stuck behind. Han is all about the score and living free (and making scores to continue living free from the government and syndicates). Qi’ra is all about survival, and while she has a soft spot for Han, she will ultimately choose the safety of climbing the Crimson Dawn ranks to the danger of a life on the run.

Compare Qi’ra to the mess that was Rose. “I was born into slavery like these poor poor abused kids... LET’S FREE THE SPACE HORSES!” “We can’t sacrifice our lives to kill the First Order and save the galaxy... even though that is what everyone in the Resistance signed up for... and what Hondo did a moment ago... LOL, kiss me!” And Hondo was a one-dimensional character with no purpose other than to have someone Poe had never met before (makes no sense when the Resistance is less than 500 people and Poe is their #1 captain) so that we could have that stupid mutiny subplot.

And unlike Phasma, Nest actually got to do things like (1) be a badass in a fight, (2) show some cleverness/smarts, and (3) not die. Nest also has Two Tubes from Rogue One working for her, so her pre-rebellion actions clearly have an impact down the line, inspiring and funding others to fight back against oppression.

Phasma has cool armor though, so... I guess resurrect her again for Episode IX, right guys?

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
Boba Fett. That one’s not a big deal for me.

If the character doesn't interest you James Mangold doing a Star Wars film reaklly should.

It really was a different story-telling venue within the larger universe. A sequel where Han, Chewie, Lando, and Boba Fett are working for Jabba to undermine or steal from Crimson Dawn? Where Han has to deal with Qi’ra and Maul? Yes fucking please.

We are probably putting the cart in front of the horse since we don't know if Boba Fett will continue were Solo left off but I love the idea. Especially when you consider Han ends up on the outs with Jabba and Fett so Han would probably end up being a frenemy turned secondary Antagonist to Fett.