I have acid reflux

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
I have acid reflux
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
Like, the real hardcore kind

So I can't really eat anything without feeling intensely nauseous, and alcohol is right out

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
Re: I have acid reflux
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »
That sounds unfortunate. Sorry to hear. I assume you have seen a doctor or two; is there anything you can do to mitigate it? Do you have to eat bland, shitty food, or does it not even matter?
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/12/04/show-12-4-18-animated-feature/ (The Top Ten cartoons based on comic book characters!)

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
Bland is best, am on some high end prescription stuff that's helping

But no fried foods, no alcohol, no fatty foods, no chocolate, no spice, no peppers, no tomatoes, no apples, bananas are supposed to be fine for most AR people, but not me, and no white bread, but rye and whole wheat is fine.

I can't eat anything italian, which is my favourite fucking food, basically

On the other hand, I exercise every day, eat right and way less, and am now 265, down from about 289, so there's a very real, very nice silver lining, here

But fuck I want a drink

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
Are you getting enough fiber and probiotics in your diet? I have some acid reflux issue and regular intake of both helps a lot. Especially the probiotics.

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
Draino

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:46 PM »
What meds are you on

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »
probably draino.

Bran Mak Morn

• +16/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
Yeah I get it pretty bad too especially hours into my sleep.
That acid burn kicks in & it's sheer pain.

This sounds silly & simple but it works for me...

Apparently sleeping on your back, stomach or right side allows some of the stomach's acid content to be able to flow up into the oesophagus causing the reflux.

However sleeping on your left side allows some of your internal organs to put pressure on your oesophagus restricting the acid from flowing up from your stomach.

Honestly, the moment I feel that burn coming on, rolling onto my left side alleviates the pain.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:30:20 PM »
Take a handful of Warfarin followed by a shot of tequila. You'll be fine
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 03:45:08 AM »
I have acid reflux/GERD as well. It used to be really bad. To the point where the acid got into my lungs a couple of times. Felt like they were on fire, and I could not breath even decently.

A key for many is finding one's triggers, and avoiding them. Hot/spicy food and certain food flavorings were among the worst for me. I drink only rarely and very carefully now as well. No late night eating either. Omeprazole capsules and otc Zantac, along with those changes, have helped to control it.

If you have problems at night, try elevating your sleep position. Either with a wedge pillow, or by placing something strong and hard (like bricks) under the top corners of the bed. I never did the latter, but my Doctor said it helps some patients.

Whatever you do, don't try the apple cider vinegar folk "cure." Unless you actually like a trip to the hospital. That's exactly what happened to someone I knew. Soda pop intake is another thing that reflux patients often have to watch.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:50:53 AM by Imperial »
Sig : Anna Nystrom

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »
I don't drink pop, and I can't sleep wedged up like the way many people have recommended

I don't get the burning, but feeling sick as shit after certain things and never puking. Further diet restrictions and continued prescription in-take has cured just about everything, but my stomach still gurgles sometimes

I take Dexilant, which I used to take after waking up, but now take before bed and now my throat isn't raw in the morning which is nice

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
Not sure if you mentioned it, but try to avoid eating a good three or so hours before you go to bed.

Ask your doctor about prokinetic meds to tighten your (ahem) esophageal sphincter.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 02:35:53 AM »
Not sure if you mentioned it, but try to avoid eating a good three or so hours before you go to bed.
Yeah not doing this has helped majorly with night-time reflux, as well as taking my dexilant an hour before bed.

I overstated the case earlier, I am pretty frequently fighting nausea and indigestion. It's sporadic, but usually worse in the late evening, and especially after eating supper. I need to schedule a scope and find out what the fuck is going on in my tum tum
Ask your doctor about prokinetic meds to tighten your (ahem) esophageal sphincter.
This would probably be helpful

God I miss alcohol, but the hangover mindset with a constant awareness of my stomach is just not worth any amount of goodfeels I might have that night.

shadowknight

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
Try organic greek yogurt NOT the fat free version. Also if you can get it eat some Kimchi and  half in hour before you eat  take a tablespoon of Bragg Apple vinegar in half a glass of water.

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
Yeeeeah that stuff is for heartburn

Not what I have