Herochat

Spider-Man II

Uhtceare

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
Spider-Man II
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »
It's amazing how well this film holds up after so long. Raimi is in top form here.

The Shuruku Demon

• +25/-7
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man II
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
I rewatched all six Spidey movies on DVD a few months ago, and it's still my favourite of all of them, and one of my favourite superhero films of all time.

Whiskeyclone

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
I watched the first one again, or at least a good chunk of it, in a hotel room a couple months ago. It was fun noting how much of Raimi's pulp-horror-comedy sensibility is still at play in it and how over-the-top silly it is at various points. I feel like that didn't all register with me when it first came out. Like the Bonesaw scene - Bonesaw clearly intends to hurt/injure/kill the fuck out of the volunteers they send against him. There were a lot of other, smaller scenes that would be even better examples, but they're all there if you watch any 30 minutes of it.

The Green Goblin Power Ranger costume still sucks hard, though.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
I watched the first one again, or at least a good chunk of it, in a hotel room a couple months ago. It was fun noting how much of Raimi's pulp-horror-comedy sensibility is still at play in it and how over-the-top silly it is at various points. I feel like that didn't all register with me when it first came out. Like the Bonesaw scene - Bonesaw clearly intends to hurt/injure/kill the fuck out of the volunteers they send against him. There were a lot of other, smaller scenes that would be even better examples, but they're all there if you watch any 30 minutes of it.

The Green Goblin Power Ranger costume still sucks hard, though.

Yeah, Raimi still managed to get a little Evil Dead in there, especially in part 2 with Doc Ock waking up in the hospital.  That is a straight up horror scene.  Then there's the lingering shots of screaming women when he attacks the city.  It's campy fun.