Herochat

Nostalgia is so Toxic

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia is so Toxic
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
I'm just not sure UB's not trying a play here.

I mean most things he mentioned up there as what he likes can be construed as at least somewhat nostalgic.

King Kong's been fighting monsters on his island for almost a century now.

ultrabender

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 12:27:16 PM »

I mean most things he mentioned up there as what he likes can be construed as at least somewhat nostalgic.

Most of the things I mentioned were from the 2010's era (Well except Chowder that was made in 2007 and ended in 2010).

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
I'm definitely a nostalgia fiend. I think it has alot to do with the way wider cultural changes have affected the way movies or tv shows are written and made. We've gone from an era where entertainment media was primarily if not solely about entertainment, to an era where it's increasingly used to push progressive political agendas such as ethnic diversity, feminism and gay acceptance.

Also, unapologetic masculinity is much less fashionable than it used to be, and this is so deeply embedded in US culture now that Hollywood is often forced to hire Australians when they need someone who can convincingly portray a gruff, macho man type. This is partly why my personal action movie collection is dominated by films from the '80s and early '90s.

We just became best friends.

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »

Most of the things I mentioned were from the 2010's era (Well except Chowder that was made in 2007 and ended in 2010).

current incarnations of things from past eras

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
I'm definitely a nostalgia fiend. I think it has alot to do with the way wider cultural changes have affected the way movies or tv shows are written and made. We've gone from an era where entertainment media was primarily if not solely about entertainment, to an era where it's increasingly used to push progressive political agendas such as ethnic diversity, feminism and gay acceptance.

Also, unapologetic masculinity is much less fashionable than it used to be, and this is so deeply embedded in US culture now that Hollywood is often forced to hire Australians when they need someone who can convincingly portray a gruff, macho man type. This is partly why my personal action movie collection is dominated by films from the '80s and early '90s.

We just became best friends.

ultrabender

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
I hate how nostalgia extremist often generalize that all new modern things are bad, Its like they want to wallow in their own nostalgic vomit.

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »
cool story bro

ultrabender

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
cool story bro

I've never understood why it really hurts them that much?, modern streaming media with new original shows is really cool.

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »
Prolly cuz a lot of modern stuff is a estrogen saturated deviation from the original.
Adult Swim handled this correctly.

Xerxes in regards to Dan Harmon NOT being fired when his baby raping parody video was exposed.

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 09:31:43 PM »
cool story bro

I've never understood why it really hurts them that much?, modern streaming media with new original shows is really cool.

Hey, so long as you commit to the character man

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »

Do people really complain much about the fact that you can stream stuff now? Or is it more about the content, like the dumbed down and/or PC-policed reboots/continuations of classic franchises like Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator and Ghostbusters?

Or how about the increasing trend of action and horror films being made with a PG-13 rating in mind? Like the theatrical cut of Die Hard 4, where John McClane couldn't even utter his signature "Yippee ki-yay, motherfucker!" line without the last two syllables being drowned out by a gunshot. It's almost paradoxical, when you consider that age ratings have generally gotten more lenient in the last thirty years (certainly in the UK, and I assume the US as well), yet filmmakers are now using that as an excuse to make new action and horror films less hardcore than older ones in order to achieve higher box office revenues.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »

Also, unapologetic masculinity is much less fashionable than it used to be, and this is so deeply embedded in US culture now that Hollywood is often forced to hire Australians when they need someone who can convincingly portray a gruff, macho man type.

I kinda get the impression it's more about Hollywood scouting American sportsmen for masculinity roles & then realising they can't act rather than, "Hollywood is often forced to hire Australians..."

I mean the only 3 current macho Aussie actors I can think of is Jackman, Hemsworth & Worthington & they're not exactly saturating the action genre right now.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 07:35:44 PM »
And in America we got the Rock for that.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
Why do people hate on Momoa so much?

His acting ability is on par with some of the great action heroes of our time (Arnold, Sallone, Van Damme...) plus he's got the looks that gets the female market in too.

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 10:16:17 PM »
Momoa is more than passable. Anybody saying otherwise is fucking stupid.