Herochat

Nostalgia is so Toxic

ultrabender

• +2/-2
    • View Profile
Nostalgia is so Toxic
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
Many people these days can be so hateful, negative, closed minded, and neophobic about modern cartoons, movies, and live action TV shows. Its just disgusting, The nostalgic people often say "Modern Media pale in comparison to classic Media". They cannot move past their nostalgia and refuse to move on, also too afraid to watch and give new series a chance.

Honestly, I enjoy new movies like the MCU, Pacific Rim, Kong: Skull Island. cartoons like Adventure Time, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Chowder, Wander Over Yonder, Young Justice. For live action TV shows The Tick (2016), Walking Dead, and Daredevil.

Its good to move up with the times to watch new things and not be stuck with 1980's/1990's nostalgia.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia is so Toxic
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
I can see that.
A lot (not all) of the shows, movies, i enjoyed growing up, i wouldnt want to be stuck watching again.
Same cant be said for music though. If i liked it then, chances are i -still- listen to it now.

scourge broke first

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
Many people these days can be so hateful, negative, closed minded, and neophobic about modern cartoons, movies, and live action TV shows. Its just disgusting, The nostalgic people often say "Modern Media pale in comparison to classic Media". They cannot move past their nostalgia and refuse to move on, also too afraid to watch and give new series a chance.

Honestly, I enjoy new movies like the MCU, Pacific Rim, Kong: Skull Island. cartoons like Adventure Time, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Chowder, Wander Over Yonder, Young Justice. For live action TV shows The Tick (2016), Walking Dead, and Daredevil.

Its good to move up with the times to watch new things and not be stuck with 1980's/1990's nostalgia.

The Avenger's Earth's Mightiest Heroes is almost universally loved around these parts and I think it can stand up to just about animated series in actual quality. I think there's room for both nostalgia and enjoying the classics. One trend I don't like is trying to do classic action material as comedy shows. Like I'd much rather Teen Titans than Teen Titans Go--is that a nostalgia thing? I don't think so.

But as to a lot of the media you mentioned, people seem to really enjoy it. Pacific Rim had everyone going crazy. Superhero movies are almost universally better than they were two decades ago. etc.

On the other hand, the original Indiana Jones series was great, the Crystal Skull? No thanks. I think there's a lot of attempts to cash in on nostalgia that fall flat. Maybe making people say that things aren't like they used to be? Still think most (at least in the herochat sphere) can appreciate something quality and new though.

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
Agreed, most of time I see people complaining about remakes are when the remakes suck or they sh!t on the original characters. if they're good. I very rarely see people complaining.

HalloweenJack

• +39/-9
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
hh.

'new'

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
Agreed, most of time I see people complaining about remakes are when the remakes suck or they sh!t on the original characters. if they're good. I very rarely see people complaining.
Examples?

I only ask because i see ppl complaining regardless, so i want to see what are considered the shitty remakes.

scourge broke first

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »

Way to go out on a limb there, buddy, it must have been nerve-wracking to admit to liking all those shows people love.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
Don't think less of me guys, but I thought Winter Soldier was a great movie. 

HalloweenJack

• +39/-9
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »

May God Almighty have mercy on your miserable soul.

ultrabender

• +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »

That you mentioned is an awesome Captain America movie.

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
Examples?

I only ask because i see ppl complaining regardless, so i want to see what are considered the shitty remakes.

1998 Godzilla was considered fairly bad, so was the remakes of Overboard, Bewitched, TMNT etc.

HalloweenJack

• +39/-9
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »
 see also Psycho, Footlose, the Pink Panther

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »
Is OVERBOARD out already?

scourge broke first

The Shuruku Demon

• +33/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
I'm definitely a nostalgia fiend. I think it has alot to do with the way wider cultural changes have affected the way movies or tv shows are written and made. We've gone from an era where entertainment media was primarily if not solely about entertainment, to an era where it's increasingly used to push progressive political agendas such as ethnic diversity, feminism and gay acceptance.

Also, unapologetic masculinity is much less fashionable than it used to be, and this is so deeply embedded in US culture now that Hollywood is often forced to hire Australians when they need someone who can convincingly portray a gruff, macho man type. This is partly why my personal action movie collection is dominated by films from the '80s and early '90s.

HalloweenJack

• +39/-9
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
Is OVERBOARD out already?

yeah I think it came out the week before or after Infinity War