Herochat

Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs

Not BAMF

• +13/-12
    • View Profile
Re: Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 08:06:05 AM »
Yeah, people are REALLY altering the word "Disastrous" to mean "Mildly annoying for a while".

But hell, I can do that, too.

Dan Slott on Spider-Man.
https://gotstratosphere.com/ - Ghosts Of The Straosphere

Riv1

• +48/-1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »
^^^thanks for agreeing.

In my case, Grant Morrison X-Men (bare chest leather Wolverine, Cat Beast) was a disaster, as i (personally) found it pretty awful.

Propeus The Fallen

• +23/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
The only thing about Grant Morrison's run was the school actually had students. ...Too bad we only got to focus on the more annoying ones (Angel coming to mind the most). And I know it's minor, but I really liked Beast girlfriend Trish Tilby and the way she was treated and forgotten.

Panthergod

• +40/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
Morrison X Men saved the franchise.

Clownprince23

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
Chuck Austen's run on Action Comics was really bad. They ended up firing him and getting someone to come in under a pen name to finish the last two issues because they couldn't find anyone else.

Panthergod

• +40/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
Chuck Austen's run on Action Comics was really bad. They ended up firing him and getting someone to come in under a pen name to finish the last two issues because they couldn't find anyone else.

It was the editor Eddie berganza iirc

Riv1

• +48/-1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »
Thats fucking awesome.

Clownprince23

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »

It was the editor Eddie berganza iirc

I read that it was an editor, but the source I read wasn't sure. And no one wanted to associate their name to it.

Clownprince23

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
Yeah, people are REALLY altering the word "Disastrous" to mean "Mildly annoying for a while".

But hell, I can do that, too.

Dan Slott on Spider-Man.

I liked his Superior Spidey, but when Peter came back and became a newer version of old Tony Stark I lost interest. A friend told me that it got better, so I'm gonna try and give it a shot.

Propeus The Fallen

• +23/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:21 AM »
Here's one. Dan Didio's classic....Countdown. I could go all day about what was wrong with that one, but I think  the main thing is...it was pointless. All of it. Grant Morrison ignored it for his Crisis story...which also deserves a mention. :)

And I've heard things about Inhumans vs X-Men.

Chris Claremon's second run was pretty horrible. He introduced the next evolution of mutants and they were horrible, his overwordiness of his comic where he described everything to the point I wondered why there was an artist, the lame C level at best villains he kept using for some insane reason, ignoring everything that people wrote after him making everything confusing, breaking up Angel and Psylocke...for her to get with Thunderbird. Just some guy who joined the team off panel. Heck, the only reason he was named Thunderbird was because Clarement admitted he just liked the name.

But to be fair, after Austen, he did get another run and it was much better and improved on everything from the second run, but---yeesh, that second run of his was horrible.

Thanos6

• +18/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 12:04:21 AM »
I didn't like the start of Jurgens's Thor, but I quite enjoyed The Reigning, myself.
Truten forever!

Kallor

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »
I didn't like the start of Jurgens's Thor, but I quite enjoyed The Reigning, myself.

It was leagues better than the run prior to Odin's death, I liked The Reigning for a while too, but (imo obviously) it went on too long and more importantly botched the ending due to Jurgen's being rushed off the book.  If he'd paced himself better that wouldn't have been as glaring an issue.

Mightily Oats

• +76/-578
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 01:53:00 AM »
Joe Kelly's X-Men was awful, too

Seems like most people write shitty X-Men

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 07:19:01 AM »
Keith Giffen Legion is one of the greatest comics runs ever. It was only derailed after SW6 nonsense and Mark Waid nonsensical Valor run.

LOSH v3 50, Magic Wars, Mon-El destroying Time Trapper, Princes Projectra killing Nemesis Boy etc are some of the most memorable scenes in comics ever.
Giffen and LEVITZ was good. Giffen by himself managed to leave the book with only a couple years left in its lifespan. Continuity DIED a couple years after he left! That's virtually the DEFINITION of failure.

It's not for nothing that the resurrected, Legion of Three Worlds/"Unboot" Legion completely ignores everything from Five Years Later.

And yes, people are just using "runs I didn't like" and "Worst runs" as "Disastrous". That's improper. The runs I refer to in the original post are ones that actually damaged the characters and franchise. Each left the book in a decidedly worse state than they began.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:21:47 AM by Jabroniville »

Riv1

• +48/-1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
It's not for nothing that the resurrected, Legion of Three Worlds/"Unboot" Legion completely ignores everything from Five Years Later.
Huh.
Never noticed that!