Herochat

Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs

Propeus The Fallen

• +32/-6
    • View Profile
Re: Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 04:33:32 AM »
Yeah thats the one.
Not sure how disasterous it was, but it bored the piss out of me.

Not disastrous at all! It's my favorite Avengers story ever.

Yeah. I liked it too. Kurt Busiek wrote the best Ultron and Kang stories ever.

And if we're talking about boring Avengers story. Probably going to get grief for this...Hickman's Avengers run was boring. "Everything dies" Yeah yeah. I never seen anything that had so many character, expanded so far into the universe, such repercussions...and it put me to sleep.

I think New Avengers (might be wrong, it was all a drag so it blends in) with the Illuminati being the worse. I mean, you had Beast---and you couldn't let him be funny at least once? Heroes being jerks and destroying other worlds because--well, that makes me support them.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2018, 01:16:52 PM »
Yeah I thought there wasn't much pop or excitement to most of Hickman's Avengers - it was told very clinically.

Bill Mantlo seemed to really go out of his way to gut everything about Alpha Flight over the course of his painfully long and poorly-written run to the point that his successor had to very clearly find a way to re-establish large chunks of what Mantlo had f-ed with.

I feel like there have been an FF run or two that should fit here.

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
^^^sonofabitch, how did i not remember Mantlo’s run?
I hated what he did on AF.
Thing is, unless i’m mixing up my runs, he actually did a couple things i enjoyed duringhis time, but he never followed up on those things, or handled them badly.
Towards the start of his run, AF in space, i loved that concept, but it was over too quickly.
Towards the end the leaned down team of Vindicator, Sasquatch, Jeffries/Beta Flight kids, and what looked like Jade Dragon in the wings had me excited, as did the Dream Queen arc, which ended in complete shit.
Most everything in between was aaaaawful. I only kept up w. it because i was a completist at the time, i didnt know enough to cut bait and invest in something else.

Wealth & Fame he ignores, breaking scourge, is his reward. Look out!