Herochat

Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
I'm curious as to your thoughts about the most disastrous runs on certain books. Basically, the ones that are not only bad, but actively jeopardize or damage the franchises held within?

My choices (at least what's on my mind now):

The Clone Saga writers & editors: Well duh. I think there's maybe 2 or 3 characters in all of comics that could have survived this. Peter smacking his pregnant wife in the face (with fewer excuses than the mentally-ill Pym did) is only like the seventh-dumbest thing to happen in it.

Legion of Super-Heroes (Giffen & Bierbaums): Giffen, left to his lonesome, created the "Five Years Later" era, drew rubberfaced hideous art, brought in his goofy sense of humor to the forefront, and ended up doing so much damage to the franchise that it was fucking CANCELLED AND REBOOTED only a couple of years after he left. He even admitted he blew up the Earth just because he knew the editors were switching and wouldn't have time to pay attention. It's possible that no single creator has damaged something so much- the "Reboot" era came off of this, and we wouldn't see the "proper", original Legionnaires again until the mid-2000s, when Geoff Johns... ignored everything from Giffen's solo run.

The Teen Titans (Dan Jurgens): Terrible '90s characters, and a Teen Atom thing that was stupid. Pretty much killed the concept of the Titans dead until Devin Grayson rebooted it with the '80s cast.

The Teen Titans (Jay Faerber): Okay, so he blames his editor, who forced the "New Kids" on him. But the "Jesse Quick sleeps with her mom's fiancee" and "DEO Kids" story arcs were completely awful, and pretty much put the bullet in this generation of Teen Titans forever. Every arc after this is more inspired by the "Young Justice" kids being added in.

AP

• +94/-54
    • View Profile
Re: Most Disastrous Comic Book Runs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
Chuck Austen's runs on X-Men and Avengers were pretty bad.

Also, did the Ultimate universe ever really recover from Loeb?

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
One More Day.
(The Amazing Spider-Man #544, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24, The Sensational Spider-Man (vol. 2) #41, Amazing Spider-Man #545).

I know there were a lot of fingers in that pie, but i firmly believe the big fat middle finger belonged to Quesada.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:55:21 AM by Riv1 »

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
Giffend 5YL is among the great legion runs ever.. Up to the Greater Darkness. It jumped the shark when the Berbums took over with that sw6 shit.. Which Bendis later coped with the original 5 X-Men being time displaced.

Propeus The Fallen

• +26/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
Jay wrote The TITANS. And I'll cut him some slack that the first half issues were good and that's proof enough that that idiot editor ruined things.

And I know Joe Q sucked for what he did to Spider-Man...but JMS and the Stacy Twins...how the hell was that every going to turn out to be a good idea??!

Chuck Austen's X-Men run. I have never seen so many dumb stupid plots and the worst messages told in the most idiotic way possible. You had Polaris suddenly becoming a super bitch/super insane. Oh and Nurse Anne. I think my personal favorite is Nurse Anne calling Ice Man being a racist towards other mutants. Oh, and the comment she made to Husk about Chamber having no mouth to...do things with. And to make it worse, you had Marvel using the stupid black leather uniforms that looked dumb in the comics and some horrible art and inking.

Bendis Avengers: I don't care if the damn thing sold. So did the Tranformers movie. Bendis has a lot of weaknesses...and one of the biggest is that he's horrible at team books. He constantly has members on the team he does not have any idea what to do with (Dr. Strange, Sentry). The usual problems he has with dialogue (every character pretty much being the same) and my personal favorite, how he ruined The Scarlet Witch. Kurt Busiek spent years building her up to be a great character and potential leader of the Avengers--then in a few issues, Bendis has it she's been nuts.

Bendis X-Men run. Yep. Let' see we got legendary "Iceman is gay" that--is possibly one of the meanest, stupidest things ever. Oh, pretty much all the problems of the Avengers but he amped up another trait of his: making characters jerks. Beast got hit hard with this as he became totally unlikable. And the funny thing is, because, stupid, the one character he wrote nicer was...Magik. The insane evil girl! WTF?! Hell, he even angered up Dazzler. And you also had the usual Kitty Pryde fanboyism until she went to Guardians of the galaxy...also written by Bendis. And you also had the usual storylines and characters Bendis had no idea what to do with or end.

You also had loser new mutants that no one cares about and I think have just vanished.

Ed Brubaker (Deadly Sins and other X-men stuff). I believe the start of the X-men going down was right here with him. It's like he wanted to tell a Chris Claremont story, but he couldn't do it. It was just all so uneven. The worst thing he did was to Prof X when he it turns out he sent some random kids to die and didn't tell anyone. Oh, and remember the classic "who is the 3rd Summers brother" and everyone was guessing for years--turns out it was some new character named Vulcan.

Vulcan. I swear, if it was for Kid Superman Prime coming out at the same time and his "I'll kill you to death" this character would be remembered as one of the worst and stupidest ever.

Brad Meltzer Identity Crisis. ...This was supposed to be a homage to the Silver Age. Hint: it was everything the Silver Age wasn't.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
Identity Crisis was a blatant post Watchmen deconstruction, obviously.

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Dan Jurgens on Thor

Roy Thomas/Mark Gruenwald/Ralph Macchio Thor run. Totally retconned the Lee/Kirby gods to some generic gods created by humans 2000 years ago. The franchise still suffers from the unnecessary retcon and Thor continuity is a total mess.

Pak Hulk. Seriously undermined the character of the Hulk for random power level bullshit.

Paul Jenkins Hulk. Retconned Merged hulk and created the worst deus ex machina for random Hulk personalities to emerge.

Lobdell Superman. Just garbage through and through.

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
Somebody help me out here.

The worst run on Hulk i recall was where it never even featured the Hulk? It was just Banner running from some conspiracy shit, boring as Fuuuuck.
I wanna say it was Bruce Jones, but cant confirm.

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »
It was Bruce Jones

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
^^^Thanks.

Thanks, now i know who’s grave to spit on.

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
Keith Giffen Legion is one of the greatest comics runs ever. It was only derailed after SW6 nonsense and Mark Waid nonsensical Valor run.

LOSH v3 50, Magic Wars, Mon-El destroying Time Trapper, Princes Projectra killing Nemesis Boy etc are some of the most memorable scenes in comics ever.

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
^^^thats on point.

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Upper_Krust

• +12/-37
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »
Dan Jurgens on Thor

Awesome run.

Roy Thomas/Mark Gruenwald/Ralph Macchio Thor run. Totally retconned the Lee/Kirby gods to some generic gods created by humans 2000 years ago. The franchise still suffers from the unnecessary retcon and Thor continuity is a total mess.

Interesting rather than great, but hardly disastrous.

Pak Hulk. Seriously undermined the character of the Hulk for random power level bullshit.

Pak's run was great and only the very end went into a totally bonkers strokefest.

If you want a disastrous run on anything it's Aaron's Thor run that has undermined everything the character ever stood for.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:00 AM »
Jurgen's run had the most annoying, wordy take on "Thor speak" imaginable for the first like 40+ issues, and used the exact same battle formula for nearly all significant encounters until the Reigning started.  The Reigning was then decompressed as hell, giving us a near-villainous Thor for years, and then had a rush job nonsense ending because he ran out of time.

I know you liked it because it had action that modern comics lack, but books used to have more action in general than modern comics.  It's "good" by comparison, not on its own merits.

Jurgen's was basically Defalco with better ideas, but worse execution.

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 01:28:46 AM »
Yeah, some of the choices so far i’m not commenting on, as they arent necessarily bad, just not what someone wanted done.   

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK