Herochat

Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James

Quan_the_Antagonist

• +7/-7
  • Eternia’s Greatest Nemesis
    • View Profile
Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
I’m curious to see where people are these days.  The tide is turning.  Who is the G.O.A.T.?

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
The one undefeated in the finals and never faced a game 7.

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:37 PM »
Jordan takes it.   Jordan would average over 40 in today's rule favoring perimeter play.

I would put Lebron at 2 all time bumping Kareem and the gap between them is getting bigger.

Quan_the_Antagonist

• +7/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
Jordan takes it.   Jordan would average over 40 in today's rule favoring perimeter play.

I would put Lebron at 2 all time bumping Kareem and the gap between them is getting bigger.
Ok ?  That doesn’t probes he’s better than LeBron.  He’s a scorer but LeBron isn’t far behind and he’s a bettering passer and rebounder.  His stats are on another level and I’m also a Jordan guy but this idea Jordan is the end all be all without a debate is ridiculous. 

Quan_the_Antagonist

• +7/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:28:24 PM »
The one undefeated in the finals and never faced a game 7.
So you’d argue Terry Bradshaw is a better web than Aaron Rodgers because he has more super bowl wins.  Pretty ridiculous.  Jordan also never faced any team comparable to the Warriors. 

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
Not sure what a web has to do with this but yeah

Quan_the_Antagonist

• +7/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
Not sure what a web has to do with this but yeah
Team accomplishments alone don’t determine superiority.  The compete body of work, opponents, competition, etc. 

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +79/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:08:04 AM »
If rings are what it takes, nobody is touching Bill Russell. Also, rings are a TEAM achievement, so it's a stupid measuring stick.

People always talk about how "Jordan would be lights out in this era!", but completely skip over the idea of putting Lebron in the 80's & 90's. Lebron would still be Lebron in ANY era because he is an athletic freak of nature. Who is going to guard him from that era of ball? He's a PF in size and strength with guard speed and skills. There are/were maybe a handful that could have (Scottie had the length, Rodman the size and tenacity come to mind), and even then it's going to take everything they've got all damn night just to keep him from scoring more than 25. Players NOW are bigger and stronger and he's still making them look stupid on a nightly basis.

The "tough guys", The Mahorns and Oakleys of that era aren't guarding him out on the perimeter; they're too slow and plodding. He's breezing by them and throwing it down or pulling up for a mid-range shot. They don't have the ATHLETICISM, period.

Mike was a better scorer, no doubt, but that was his game. He has a lot of individual accolades; so does Lebron. If we're talking stats, he's going to end up in the top 20-25, at least, in EVERY major category (he's already approaching top 5 in points and top 10 in assists). Lebron's approach is completely different and he only looks to take over when he needs to. Which, lately, is every fucking game because he's playing with bums picked up off the street and thrown into a Cleveland uniform most nights.

Mike didn't do SHIT until he had Pippen, and that still took several years. Playing one-on-one against each other made them BOTH HoF greats (they'd play after practice, usually). Lebron managed to take Wally Szerbiack(sp) and the dude that fucked his mom (Delonte West iirc) to the Finals in his 3rd or 4th year in the league, in his early 20's. Yeah he lost...to the G.O.A.T. coach and a team with several dudes that will end up in the HoF (Parker & Duncan, at least). Give Mike that team and they'd get swept, too.

The only knock on Lebron is that he, after playing through 2 contracts with bum-ass Cleveland, went to Miami. That's literally it. And all to chase the rings y'all keep judging him by. And then? He led his hometown team to the last 3 Finals, against a team with 3-4 all stars on it, snagging another title. If you try to follow that up with "well, if it wasn't for Kyrie..." I'll hit you with "If it wasn't for Paxson & Kerr...". Don't even start with that nonsense.

Lebron is RIGHT NOW #2. When it's all said and done, he'll be #1. The fact that we're even having this debate while he's still, literally, the best player in the WORLD at 33 with no signs of slowing down is pretty indicative of where he's going to end up, barring any drastic or career-ending injuries.

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »
If Lebron can win the finals this year many would no question put him at number 1.  4 rings would be plenty as I don't put so much in the championship argument considering bball is a team sport.  Jordans Bulls also never beat a team as good as the Warriors.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:50:25 PM »
I have Jordan ahead but barely. LeBron is very close.

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
Still Jordan
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »
Still Jordan for now. LeBron will finish his career ahead in numerous ways.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
Jordan for me. The eras they played in do play a part. Jordan was a lights out defender in his day, but I dont know how good he'd be in today's game where you can handcheck opposing guards to close the speed gap. However, I think any losses defensively would be mitigated by what he would gain offensively. Young Jordan was basically a healthy Derrick Rose with slightly better shooting. Prime Jordan with that lethal midrange would be unstoppable in today's game. I think Bron would more or less be the same in any era, as he is the best pure athlete maybe the world has ever seen (the fact that he hasn't had a major injury after 15 years playing the minutes he does is INSANE). Too strong for some, too quick and skilled for others. My heart of hearts cant give Lebron the goat title because Jordan showed and proved and was as clutch as they come, but I feel like Lebron can do more with less. If he hadn't loss that Finals series against the Mavs in his first season with the Heat where he played like shit...I feel like Lebron supporters might have a leg to stand on. But he didn't, so its Jordan for me.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 05:23:31 AM »
Rose isn't shit to Jordan. What the hell.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 05:59:47 PM »
Jordan's game in his youth was roughly analogous to a healthy Derrick Rose. Super explosive, could blow by anybody and finish at the rim going a thousand miles an hour. Russell Westbrook has the same kind of athletic ability but Rose and Jordan could always finish at the rim no matter how fast they were going. Westbrook can't.