https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rB36UGoP4Y

Anyone see it. At least the first episode free

Pretty good for at least a pilot

Uhtceare

• +20/-9
    • View Profile
Re: cobra Kai
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:59:16 AM »
I'm watching the series right now. Got the trial subscription. I'll cancel it before I have to pay, of course. I've already got Netflix and Amazon prime, I ain't buying a third.

That said, this series is really good. The middle-aged, washed up former villain from the "Karate Kid" movies sees a kid getting picked on by 6 guys. He beats the shit of them without even trying, and the kid he saved becomes his student. He teaches the kid some moves, and the kid tries to beat up the bullies just like his teacher. There's only one problem: his teacher is a fucking action-movie-villain. An action movie villain, even a tired aging action movie villain, can take on six guys and beat their asses. A regular person can't do that shit. So the kid gets beat up and now the former villain has to deal with all the complicated repercussions.

Basically it's a drama about what happens after the credits roll on something like "The Karate-Kid".

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
I watched the first two episodes.  It was surprisingly good.  I like that it doesn't take itself seriously but it isn't a parody or anything.

I'm also surprised to see they are setting Daniel up as somewhat of an antagonist.  I'm sure he'll come around but so far, it's Johnny who's the anti-hero.  I'm wondering how much of an influence current internet culture has had.

Uhtceare

• +20/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
I'm on episode 8. LaRusso's cousin and two of his henchmen come at Johnny with crowbars and a baseball bat, and he beats their asses. I like how they alternate between showing how sad and pathetic his life is, and how genuinely badass a martial artist he is. Every time I see someone about to attack him, I'm like, "why are you fucking with the former boss-fight villain? He's got nothing to live for, he's pissed off, and he could kill you like he was stepping on an ant."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:01:24 PM by Uhtceare »

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:48:14 AM »
I'm also surprised to see they are setting Daniel up as somewhat of an antagonist.  I'm sure he'll come around but so far, it's Johnny who's the anti-hero.  I'm wondering how much of an influence current internet culture has had.

That's an interesting premise, though I think it would be weird if Johnny was intimidated by Daniel.  Daniel barely won the tournament via points and looked a lot weaker than Johnny.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:48:58 AM »
I’ve seen two episodes. I want to like this but the acting is pretty bad.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »

That's an interesting premise, though I think it would be weird if Johnny was intimidated by Daniel.  Daniel barely won the tournament via points and looked a lot weaker than Johnny.

Daniel has money and influence now and that how he's trying to screw over Johnny.  Also liked hearing Johnny's version of what happened between him and Daniel. He forgot to mention he only lost because of the illegal kick to the head though.

therock

• +50/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
They mention the kick in the first episode. Daniel just counter With Jonny did a illegal leg attack with an elbow or something

That tourment goes by Thunderdome rules

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »
I just watched the first two episodes. I maybe get the notion of Daniel as an antagonist, but he's not a villain. He actually still seems like a really genuinely good guy, actually, he just has is head in the sand. It's neat that they gave like bully-created PTSD, though, almost. Like despite his success, he's still, deep down, that kid who was almost killed by bullies and is terrified of that. Just the THOUGHT of Cobra Kai coming back triggers him.

I kind of want to get YouTube Red to finish this.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 05:04:51 PM »
Do like I did and do the free trail and cancel.

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »
Finally got around to watching this. I really enjoyed it until the finale where Hawk and Miguel went all superevil out of fucking nowhere. Miguel spent the entire season being a really good kid and the Jiminy Cricket to Johnny, and then--out of the blue--he goes full Ric Flair at the tournament just because he had one sad day. It was a complete character swerve, and I didn't love it.

That said, his doing the Crane Kick or whatever in his first match was awesome. Everything else about the finale was weird. 

therock

• +50/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 02:59:29 PM »
Now that we saw it, and a lot of us got a free trial

The conseus seem to be it was good...but was it good enough to actully pay for when season 2 comes around