Herochat

Infinity War Spoiler Thread

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity War Spoiler Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
I remember people liking it, but as more films came out they started focusing on specific aspects they enjoyed rather than the end product. Hemsworth has been great as Thor in every appearance.

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
One of the best things about him is that you can tell he's having fun playing Thor.
Truten forever!

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
I remember people really loving the first Thor movie but for some reason, once Dark World came out, they started hating both.

Yeah, this was a strange about face from fandom that I noticed as well.

A similar one happened with the Raimi spider-Man movies around the time the Amazing Spider-Man films were being made.  Suddenly, a large chunk of the fandom hated the Raimi movies and always had and anyone who liked them weren't true fans.  This is despite the fact that the first two Spidey movies were considered the best superhero movies ever and are still usually on peoples' lists.  Once the MCU version came, people weirdly liked the Raimi movies again and more people seem to hate the ASM movies now.  Fickle people.

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »
I've liked every Spider-Man movie so far. Some were much better than others, but they all had great moments and I don't regret watching them at all. I think I own all of them except ASM 2, actually.

Not BAMF

• +21/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
The Raimi movies are weird to me. I enjoyed them all a great deal in theater (even 3), but all three fell far in my esteem upon subsequent viewings on DVD. I think the whole "OMG I LOVE SPIDER-MAN" thing kicked in in theater, but when not amazed at the newness of each flick, I realized they were SUPER hokey.

The only two Spidey flicks I have been able to rewatch and still enjoy have been the first ASM and Homecoming.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/09/25/show-9-25-18-mad-sweets/ An Avengers team-building exercise, drinking games, and a review of the Batman/Joker/Harley Quinn classic, Mad Love)

« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
It's not just about the cheapening of abstracts. Thanos being an eco-terrorist is inherently more interesting than him being a stalker. There's something inherently silly about stalker Thanos. I keep expecting Death to go to the Living Tribunal and get a restraining order on him.

Whereas Thanos the eco-terrorist speaks to a modern issue: how far should we go to fix things like global warming? Is the Chinese one-child-policy actually a good idea? Should we forestall economic development that would allow people to feed their families today because it might destroy the world tomorrow? There's a weight to eco-terrorist Thanos' critique of the universe. There is no weight to stalker Thanos' wanting to bang a chick out of his league.

But if Thanos's motivation is population control because resources are limited, why wouldn't he just use the gauntlet to create more resources?

Also, couldn't Strange just use the portals to cut off Thanos's arm like he did with one of his soldiers?

More resources means would mean a population growth. Which means cullings on a regular basis or keep crwatong resources.

Thanos didn't want to become a good and monitor the universe. He wanted s one-shot deal. To correct the universe, not rule over it.
I don't feel like that's really a one shot either, though. Is there a guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen again?

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
Thanos asking the Collector "Where is the stone?" kind of seemed like a throwback to Frankie Four-Fingers in Snatch.

NeoGreenLantern

• +90/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
It's not just about the cheapening of abstracts. Thanos being an eco-terrorist is inherently more interesting than him being a stalker. There's something inherently silly about stalker Thanos. I keep expecting Death to go to the Living Tribunal and get a restraining order on him.

Whereas Thanos the eco-terrorist speaks to a modern issue: how far should we go to fix things like global warming? Is the Chinese one-child-policy actually a good idea? Should we forestall economic development that would allow people to feed their families today because it might destroy the world tomorrow? There's a weight to eco-terrorist Thanos' critique of the universe. There is no weight to stalker Thanos' wanting to bang a chick out of his league.

But if Thanos's motivation is population control because resources are limited, why wouldn't he just use the gauntlet to create more resources?

Also, couldn't Strange just use the portals to cut off Thanos's arm like he did with one of his soldiers?

More resources means would mean a population growth. Which means cullings on a regular basis or keep crwatong resources.

Thanos didn't want to become a good and monitor the universe. He wanted s one-shot deal. To correct the universe, not rule over it.
I don't feel like that's really a one shot either, though. Is there a guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen again?

Probably but but it would take billions of years.

« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »

Probably but but it would take billions of years.
Why would it take billions of years?

(either way, by definition, that's no longer a one shot thing)

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
To the Hemsworth/Thor discussion:

I think Thanos6 hit the nail on the head with Hemsworth's performance, showing he had fun. And he's definitely injected that experience into his recent run as Thor. He's been more himself.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/01/15/marvel-thor-ragnarok-chris-hemsworth-blown-away-response/

Uhtceare

• +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »
I think Thanos may have been hoping that everyone would see the light, so to speak. That is, that when the universe saw how great things are now that the population is chopped in half, they'd start doing it on their own from now on. This wasn't a permanent solution; it was his big play to do the convincing he couldn't do back on Titan. He's deeply deluded, in other words. He's very sure that everyone is going to respond to his act by going, "wow, things are great now, we should start culling the population on our own from now on. Thanos is our hero! He showed us the way!"

NeoGreenLantern

• +90/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »

I still have that tie-in issue of Quasar.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »
I don't know why, but for some reason I took special notice of how T'Challa and Steve Rogers smoked everybody and took a giant leap in on the initial charge. They were running fast as hell lol.

NeoGreenLantern

• +90/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2018, 07:24:27 PM »
yeah they blasted  past everyone. Not surprising when Cap's jogging speed is 26mph