Herochat

Infinity War Spoiler Thread

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« on: April 25, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
Just got back from seeing it about an hour ago.

its Thursday morning here - have posted review with spoilers below in white font so, as long as the theme doesnt change in the next 24 hours or so it should be ok (can delete otherwise and post later).

SPOILERS BELOW

The Good

- Theres some great action sequences - at its worst its just enjoyable on this front alone. The fight on Titan has some pretty awesome scenes with Thanos vs Strange for example.
- Brolin's Thanos was really good IMO.
- The ending with half people dying and then a somewhat ambiguous final scene with Thanos pained expression finally giving way to a subtle but rather satisfied smile.
- The humour for the most part worked well - the stuff between Thor and Starlord was good, Drax in general, Parker/Spiderman...
- Some surprising but welcome cameos/small roles - Dinklage showing up to play a Dwarf (who are actually giant sized), Hugo Weaving returning as Red Skull
- The Black Order were well done i thought - bit of a shame to see Ebony Maw buy it halfway through.

The Bad

- Its just got too much going on. In some ways it feels like a step back to the first Avengers film where the first third of the film was quite choppy in the way it had to introduce a bunch of different characters to the audience and each other. That was a bit unexpected because by the time we got to Civil War everything fit together pretty well and the "tons of people" thing felt like an advantage as characters could be brought in to the story and interact without a lot of buildup and exposition.
- The first 20 minutes is the worst in this respect - jumping from Asgard to Earth to a big exposition scene. It gets better when Thanos' ship arrives however.
- The score. This was probably my biggest problem with the film - it just doesnt emootionally fit whats happening onscreen half the time and tends to hit really melodramatic notes that sometimes risk making things onscreen seem slightly ridiculous. The soundstrack isnt really abig deal for most people but i honestly feel this would be a much better film if the Russos had had someone like Henry Jackman to work with again - with a more restrained score a lot of stuff would have felt more natural IMO.
- In terms of too much going on sometimes when you have so many deaths, near-deaths, fights things can get a bit anti-climactic. Fortunately things dont get too bad on this front. The fact that Thanos wins at the end helps to stop the feeling that you are seeing the heroes get improbably saved at the last minute again and again (I had a strong feeling Hawkeye was going to shoot the Mind Gen out of Thanos' hands at the end).

Other

- Though i really liked the depiction of Thanos I wasnt really sure that his motivations worked here. He doesnt want to kill half the universe because he is in love with death or evil or crazy - he just has a genuine belief that overpopulation is the greatest risk facing life in general and that everyone would be better off if there were less people.
- There were some pretty crazy feats and power level stuff - Thor surviving the heat/energy of a star for 30 seconds or so, Iron Man surviving getting hit by a star relatively unscathed. OTOH Cap apparently is able to resist Thanos one arm and survives a punch to the head even though Thanos clearly overpowerered Hulk earlier in the film. So its probably a bit nonsensical if you try to make everything fit together - OTOH I guess the net effect is to make the Cap level guys look really good if they dont sem to be that far off the Hulk/Thor level people given some of the stuff they survive in terms of attacks.
- The Infinity Stones/Gauntlet seemed a bit strangely depicted as did Thanos usage of them. When he gets the reality gem he should be pretty much unstoppable as portrayed on Knowhere. But the Stark/Starlord/Strange team still give him a good enough fight. The gauntlet appears to be badly damaged if not destroyed by the act of killing half the universe at the end which just seems weird. The Gauntlet doesnt seem to give omnipotence and omniscience as in the comics or if it does Thanos doesnt really use it as he might. In the comics he has to make a conscious choice to make himself slightly vulnerable but in the film - even with the full gauntlet he could apparently be taken by surprise and almost killed by Thor.
- Surprised by some of the people who didnt show up - Hawkeye is mentioned but doesnt appear at all. Despite the scene from the first trailer Hulk doesnt show up in Wakanda - its all Banner after the first 10 minutes.
- Clearing the playing field by offing much of the cast is a good move for the second film. Off the top of my head it feels like they chose to focus on the original Avengers in terms of who survived, probably because this is likely to be their last film.
- Surprised that Fury shows up just to get killed off

Summary

Its not one of the best films IMO but its pretty good. As said it suffers from some of the same issues as the first Avengers film in terms of introducing so many different superteams/worlds. There are a fair few deaths but some of them are either not given much room to have impact (Loki, Heimdall) or in the back of your mind you aren't sure if they wont be brought back at some point (Gamora, Vision, obviously the half the universe). It finishes stronger than it starts though which play in its favour.

END SPOILERS
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:30:30 PM by Fifthchild »

AP

• +100/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Spoil the movie here.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity War Spoiler Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »
I feel like this is going to wreck ICT.

Poor Hulk, Hulk, him not showing back up for the reason of getting punked out, pisses me off.

Thor survives the heart of star, lol.

"Superman moved a tetonic plate though!"

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:01:44 AM »
Its not stated that thats why he doesnt come back - from the movie Banner doesnt really seem to understand but he attributes it to the fact that the Hulk now has a personality of his own and that they dont get along. From interviews it does seem to be the case that the encounter with Thanos effected Hulk in some way but we'll have to wait to the next film to see how it plays out.

Bandido

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:54:40 AM »
*Narrows eyes*

Are not jokes made of Banner's defeated-Hulk syndrome?

Insane Titan

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 01:30:24 AM »
Saw this at midnight showing, fucking awesome, exactly what you’d a massive crossover comic to look like in screen.

Rage.Of.Olympus

• +9/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:40:11 AM »
Just got back from watching it. Great movie. The Thor scenes were so awesome, on the second viewing, I am bringing lotion.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
Yeah it was insanely dense but I felt like it worked well as it has been earned at this point. I thought it was right up there with the very best Marvel films (although obviously extremely different from something like Winter Soldier). Off-hand I'm struggling to think of many/any other films that can match it in terms of ambition and scope (although those aren't necessarily indicative of quality, it's something pretty exciting to see on-screen).

Everyone had some cool moments, even Hulk's beat-down was preceded by a cool entrance and it's at least mitigated by Thanos having the Power Gem (Loki seemed to think Hulk was a threat to Thanos and he has experience with both). Stark's new armour and Thor get most of the stand-outs I would say but Cap's entrance was very enjoyable.

Thor's battle board shit is insane, the sun thing was the icing on the cake but Thanos with the full gauntlet suggests that he could have been one-shot killed by his new hammer/axe had it hit him in the head rather than the torso (the thrown hammer also flat overpowers a direct concentrated blast from the full gauntlet on it's way to impaling Thanos).

Really expected Stark to buy it and genuinely did a little gasp when Thanos stabs him even though I expected him to die there, if/when he does die it will feel like the end of a very special era in many ways.

Still don't like ninja whip Dr Strange but he does a few more exotic things vs Thanos at least. And he uses the time gem to view millions of possible alternate futures and seems to have set the ball rolling down the direction of the one single future in which Thanos loses by handing over the time gem in exchange for Stark's life.

The ending was great. Probably expected it to end with Thanos triumphant to set up the last Avengers but it's still a pretty bold decision to end with such a big villain win. I imagine some parents taking their kids probably weren't expecting the movie to end with loads of major characters dying in anguish, Spider-Man whimpering that he doesn't want to die as he melts away into ash etc. If you weren't a comic nerd and weren't familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet storyline etc I imagine it's quite a shocking finale.

Loved it, am seeing it again on Sunday so I hope I'll catch a few things I missed first time around, there really is so much going on.

Cheers.

Bandido

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Thoughts on whose left and what the play of part 4 will be?

I've heard this biggest critque of this film to be a problem with expectations of it being relatively standalone, but it's still very much, Infinity War -Pt 1.

80sBaby

• +31/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
I like that the only heroes left are the original 6 Avengers and War Machine. Seems fitting.

Also Hulk is totally scared of Thanos, which makes sense.

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
25 years of waiting for this and the payoff was worth it. I'm going to see it at least twice more.
Truten forever!

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »
Holy shit did this movie bring it in terms of comic battles brought to life. I’ll have to let it settle before I decide if the story was done well, but the fights?  Amazing.  Strange vs Thanos and Thor vs everything are particular standouts.

80sBaby

• +31/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
Couple of quick highlights:

We got to see the BP vs Black Dwarf scene from the comics.
Cap's entrance saving Wanda and Vision.
This was a Thanos movie, costarring the Avengers. I loved his characterization.
And I called the Captain Marvel stinger at the end.

This also explains why Ant Man & Wasp is coming out after this movie. It likely takes place just before this film starts or at the same time.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 11:17:57 PM »
Couple of quick highlights:

Cap's entrance saving Wanda and Vision.

Badass scene.

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 11:38:23 PM »
I really loved this movie. It was the big epic crossover throwdown I expected. I actually felt bad by a lot of the deaths even Peters even though I know he will be back. The stinger was pretty awesome too with Fury's last words being what will probably be the actors actual last words. Cap legit looked defeated at the end too.

I'm a little disappointed by The Hulk not showing up at the end though. And the fact Tony and Cap never get a reunion.