Herochat

Battle of the Week: Starscream vs Soundwave

AP

• +109/-55
    • View Profile
Battle of the Week: Starscream vs Soundwave
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:11:53 PM »
Nominated by Imperial.  IGN versions of both.

Starscream VS Soundwave
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:20:35 PM by AP »

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Week: Starscream vs Soundwave
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »
Soundwave’s much smarter than Starscream but Screamer is a warrior with better firepower, and is the fastest Seeker in jet mode. In robot form, these two already had a fistfight in the G1 comic and it was even.

Soundwave’s best hope would be to read Starscream’s mind to figure out his tactics but I doubt Screamer would give him a chance.

Edge to Starscream.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
The Null Ray edges SWs sonic disruptors but if he releases his tapes, its game over for the 2nd in command.
Ravage
Laser Beak
Ratbat
Rumble
Frenzy

Almighty Tallest

• +3/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
Starscream is 2nd in command, but Soundwave is who Megatron goes to to get shit done and has so much faith in him because of his loyalty. He's way more capable than Starscream. At least it seems that way most of the time since Scream is usually incompetent.

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »
Soundwave’s much smarter than Starscream but Screamer is a warrior with better firepower, and is the fastest Seeker in jet mode. In robot form, these two already had a fistfight in the G1 comic and it was even.

Soundwave’s best hope would be to read Starscream’s mind to figure out his tactics but I doubt Screamer would give him a chance.

Edge to Starscream.

Yeah I think that is the direction I am leaning toward as well. Soundwave certainly can win, but Starscream is more of a military fighting type guy, quite a bit faster, has a better energy weapon, and is more likely to go balls to the wall right away imo.

Soundwave's more mercurial nature should shift longer going fights towards him. But I think Screamer wins enough in fairly short order to take a close majority overall.
Sig : Sydney Maler

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
Starscream is 2nd in command, but Soundwave is who Megatron goes to to get shit done and has so much faith in him because of his loyalty. He's way more capable than Starscream. At least it seems that way most of the time since Scream is usually incompetent.

Soundwave’s loyalty went out of the window pretty quickly in the movie once the Deceps were ob board Astrotrain. As for the question of Starscream’s effectiveness and competence and even which is second in command, that depends on whether we’re talking about the G1 comic or cartoon. In the comic, Starscream was more intelligent and kept his scheming to himself but literally had his wings ripped off in combat against Prime and was put into a coma by a single punch from Galvatron. Prime KOed Soundwave in the comic with one punch and he also got decked by Huffer and Gears, as well as getting stomped by Deaths Head ... however, Starscream ceded command of the Decepticons to Soundwave in the absence of Megatron and Shockwave

In the cartoon, Starscream is a fool but he’s strong enough to deck Megatron with a surprise punch in one episode and his null ray is probably the most respected Decep weapon after Megatron’s fusion cannon. Soundwave looks good in the initial fight on the Ark but doesn’t accomplish anything else on the show in combat and he’s little more than a mindless drone who can’t use the words ‘I’ or ‘me’. He is nothing without his tapes.

I assumed Ravage and co weren’t included in this.

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »
Shit, just saw this was IGN. Ignore everything I said!

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
All I’ll add is that in various media and in various circumstances, Megatron states that he is well aware of Starscream’s longing to rule and of the perpetual potential danger he poses; however, all of that is outweighed by his value as Air Commander and his effectiveness in battle. That’s clearly not referring to the way Starscream’s portrayed as comic relief in the G1 cartoon of course, where even fucking *Jazz* embarrassed him once

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 05:26:54 PM »
I can't go against Soundwave

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
Humans inferior. Starscream superior

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +78/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 05:28:48 AM »
Soundwave in a straight-up fight. Starscream is a front runner and coward at heart. Unless the fight starts with him attacking Soundwave from behind, he loses.

Also, Skywarp > Starscream in speed. Both are better than that idiot Thundercracker, though.

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
Soundwave in a straight-up fight. Starscream is a front runner and coward at heart. Unless the fight starts with him attacking Soundwave from behind, he loses.

Also, Skywarp > Starscream in speed. Both are better than that idiot Thundercracker, though.

Dunn about Dreamwave but Skywarp and Thundercracker both had a top speed of about mach 2.5 in G1 whereas Starscream’s top speed was mach 3; he was the fastest Seeker except for Thrust’s short term boost. Skywarp could teleport but Starscream was stronger with better firepower. Like I said, in G1 he fought Soundwave to a standstill in s punchout.

Soundwave is ten times as smart as Starscream except in the cartoon where he was a droning dullard. He’s a planner and comms guy though, not a fighter. Starscream is rash and arrogant but he’s a warrior ... one of the best the Deceps have. He can give any Autobot short of Optimus Prime a run for his money when he’s not written for cheap laughs

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
Am I misremembering or wasn't Starscream a scientist?

AP

• +109/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »
Am I misremembering or wasn't Starscream a scientist?

I think so.