Herochat

Battle of the Week: Red Sonja vs Shanna, The She-Devil

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Week: Red Sonja vs Shanna, The She-Devil
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
Hmmm, Having read a bit more, I think Cho Shanna takes Sonja. She lacks formal fighting training but is as strong as a dozen men - more importantly, she is very difficult to hurt and is just as ruthless as Sonja, if not more so. She takes on a meat-eating dinosaur the size of a megalosaurus with her bare hands and comfortably holds her own before using a massive stake to impale it.

I still think Sonja takes Savage Wolverine Shanna ... she’s as strong as Cho Shanna and can run over 50 mph but there’s no evidence she can take the same punishment and she definitely isn’t as vicious.

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 02:12:04 AM »
Cho Shanna definitely beats Sonja. She’s not only stronger than Captan America but also has his preternatural fighting intellect. One of her allies in the island says he’s encountered many Tyrannosaurus Rexes over the years, has tried different methods of stopping them and only lots and lots of bullets have worked. Shanna, after easily shaking off a swipe from its tail, instinctively figures out how to beat a tyrannosaurus almost immediately. In a mire tecent series, she kills two sabretooth cats the size of polar bears - she snaps the neck of one, breaks the fang of the other and uses it to stab it through the head. She also takes on the tyrannosaur a second time, using brute strength to block and wrench it’s jaws before her buddy kills it with a grenade. Sonja could beat this Shanna with weapons but unarmed she doesn't Have a chance. Cho Shanna does stuff with her bare hands that even Conan would be proud of doing. She’s like Tarzan on Roids
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:29:55 AM by Sick Nick »

Animalia

• +6/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 02:27:55 AM »
So Shanna has had another run after Wolverine?

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 02:59:59 AM »

There was a 4 issue mini series in 2016 but it’s Cho Shanna, not the 616 version. A LOT gorier than standard Marvel fare

Animalia

• +6/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 03:02:22 AM »

There was a 4 issue mini series in 2016 but it’s Cho Shanna, not the 616 version. A LOT gorier than standard Marvel fare
Nice,ty.
Well at least her power up was confirmed.
Going to read it.

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
Upon relooking some of the stuff Nick is talking about, I tend to agree with him.

Apparently that's where the memories of what would make this an intriguing battle to discuss largely come from. And yeah Cho Shanna does look physically superior to Sonja. Stronger, more agile, and more durable.

Just a few quick examples.

Who wins here really hinges on what version of her one uses.
Sig : Tess Kielhamer as Black Canary, Katya Henry

AP

• +80/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »
Typically I'm quick to point out which versions are used, but I didn't think it mattered.  Since Frank Cho worked on both ladies and that was the artist requested, how about his versions?

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »
I think Cho’s only Sonja story was ‘Queen Of The Frozen Wastes’. That Sonja was a serious badass and it’s interesting to note some  parallels between her accomplishments and those of Cho’s Shanna. Imperial posted the scan of Shanna using her leg strength to rip off a gigantic bough and drop it on a swarm of raptors below; Cho’s Sonja ultimately defeated the evil queen and her army of yetis by prising loose a boulder and dropping it on them in the same way. Cho’s Shanna broke raptor necks; Cho’s Sonja broke yetis’ arms and snapped neanderthals’ necks with headscissors. Cho’s Shanna fought tyrannosauruses; Cho’s Sonja fought oversized polar bears.

Cho’s Sonja could move so quickly that an opponent’s eyes couldn't keep up with her and she knocked him out from the blind side while he was looking at where she was an instant earlier. She survived being choked out by an 8 foot tall berzerker warrior and she woke trapped underneath said berzerker’s corpse, she easily tossed the 500+lb body aside.

As badass and seasoned a warrior as Cho’s Sonja was, though, I still think she’d fall short against Cho’s genetic marvel Shanna. She’d struggle to hurt her without weapons. She would absolutely need to avoid close quarters combat if possible as she’d only have a fraction of Shanna’s strength ... Shanna hurled a grown man at least 30 feet with ease ... with one hand.

Like I said though, I’d give Sonja the nod over peak human Shanna or even the Shanna who turned up in ‘Savage Wolverine’