Herochat

Battle of the Week: Red Sonja vs Shanna, The She-Devil

AP

• +80/-52
    • View Profile
Battle of the Week: Red Sonja vs Shanna, The She-Devil
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »
Nominated by Imperial.  Artwork nominated by HJ.

Red Sonja

VS

Shanna, The She-Devil

Animalia

• +6/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Week: Red Sonja vs Shanna, The She-Devil
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:46 AM »
Last thing I have read about Shanna was that Wolverine run where she got enhanced.
Not sure if she has any feat with his new stats aside said run,but even on paper she wouldnt be a lot stronger than Sonja.
Not knowing that well both women I'd say Sonja takes this as I feel she may be more skilled at fighting other(skilled) humans than Shanna.

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »
I voted before being reminded that Shanna has super strength ... even then, though, it’s Enhanced Human level strength, nothing Sonja hasn’t faced before. In fact, Sonja held her own in a test of strength with a superhuman undead lady back at Marvel.

Shanna is really tough and without enhancements is still probably the strongest non-superhuman female at Marvel ... she has ripped out of straitjackets and thrown bodybuilders around like rag dolls. Sonja is even stronger, though, and then has nigh-superhuman agility, speed, vast skill and a ridiculous pain threshold and stamina.

I give Sonja about 80 out of 100 against a human Shanna and maybe 75 or 70 against enhanced Shanna. Both are probably about equal in agility and Shanna’s more used to unarmed combat but except under Simone, Sonja’s no slouch in a fistfight.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:56:17 AM by Sick Nick »

AP

• +80/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
I knew Sick Nick would come out for this one.

Animalia

• +6/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
Yeah,he and Frank Cho would really get along :d.

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »
Yeah,he and Frank Cho would really get along :d.

We would if he could draw more than 2 female bodytypes!

This is a decent scrap though ... much like Conan vs Ka-Zar would go

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
I knew Sick Nick would come out for this one.

Nick is one reason I wanted to do this. :)

Anyway I think Shanna can compete up and down the list, but it's like Sonja is a bit better in most categories. (Save maybe agility and/or hand to hand without weapons?) I think Shanna pulls some fights given she can hurt Red, but it usually goes the other way. I can see a number of contests being drawn out affairs given the stealth, agility, toughness, and skill these two bring to the game.

Sig : Tess Kielhamer as Black Canary, Katya Henry

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:43:26 AM »
Yeah, I don’t think Shanna should be underestimated, she’s had some REALLY solid showings over the years. I thnk agility’s even ... Sonja has some crazy leaping displays but she doesn’t use agility just to get around her local environment on a day to day basis like Shanna. The Hyrkanian has a damage soak that lets her survive direct hits from dragons and demons so she’s less cautious than Shanna in combat. HTH Sonja’s used to fighting with a longer reach than Shanna but she’s got better formal martial arts training.

From a stats perspective, by living in the Savage Land, Shanna has developed to the point where she’s peak human. Under some writers,though, Sonja’s attributes were outright enhanced by Scathach. Under the current writers, that wasn’t the case but Sonja believes she was blessed by the goiddess and has seemingly acquired superhuman abilities through training, determination and sheer faith - it’s possible also that the people of the Hyborian Age are physically superior to modern folks.

Ultimately I look at it like this ... even in unarmed combat against Conan, Sonja would acquit herself well. I don’t think Shanna would stand a chance against Ka-Zar OTOH

Animalia

• +6/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 07:09:47 AM »
Maybe Shanna is better at stealth and with ranged weapons?

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
Maybe Shanna is better at stealth and with ranged weapons?

No and no.

Sonja is the only person who’s proven capable of sneaking up on Conan. During the recent NYC storyline, police cameras couldn’t keep tabs on her in Central Park, even though she wasn’t even aware of their existence. The cops said she disappeared like a ghost.

As for ranged weapons, Sonja is a highly skilled archer and is just as good throwing knives. Shanna’s probably decent with knives but I can’t recall her ever using a bow and arrow

If you start giving these two weapons, the odds go even more in Sonja’s favour ... massively so. She is a master in the use of virtually any weapon of her era

Animalia

• +6/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 02:15:15 AM »
You know,I had the idea Shanna would be better than Sonja at both,to be fair based more on speculations like...Shanna living and hunting in Savage Land would make here better here.

HalloweenJack

• +24/-7
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
would it be any different if we used that Shanna from a few years ago that was like a Nazi genetic experiment that sorta Tarzanned on an island of dinosaurs

that's the version my mind always goes to even though I know it isn't 616 continuity

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:10:14 AM »
would it be any different if we used that Shanna from a few years ago that was like a Nazi genetic experiment that sorta Tarzanned on an island of dinosaurs

that's the version my mind always goes to even though I know it isn't 616 continuity

Not heard of that one before. Which comic was that in?

HalloweenJack

• +24/-7
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »
it was some mini from like 05 or so.

she was snapping raptor necks and fighting carnosaurs there

Sick Nick

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
Yeah, I've only read#1 so far but she easily breaks the neck of a deinonychus. Mind you, Sonja has ripped apart the jaws of hellhounds and taken on werewolves in hand to hand combat

There’s a more recent series where Shanna where she helps out a bunch of pirates stranded on her island. I don’t know whether it’s 616 but it feels like a follow up to the Cho series. In any case, Shanna wielding two machetes wipes out a small army of raptors and snaps the neck of a gigantic troglydyte ( to be fair, Sonja has broken yetis’ arms before). She steals its club and when #2 ends, she’s jumping into battle against two sabretooth cats, waving the six-foot club around like it’s a baton