Herochat

Punisher vs. WW

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Punisher vs. WW
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
You seem to be adopting a rather black & white view on this. Either Thor is outright invulnerable to piercing damage, or he's Wonder Woman level? There are shades of grey in between those two things, and Thor's record against bullets is clearly superior to that of Wonder Woman, which suggests he's above her in that respect, regardless of whether he's outright invulnerable or not. I absolutely don't see him as being as durable as Superman or the Hulk, but he doesn't need to be to be bulletproof, or more bulletproof than Diana at any rate.

I have already indicated that I believe Mr Almighty Thor is bullet reistant but not proof unless otherwise stated. Now the argument came about that Diana coukd not take a direct hit to the neck and rage said Thor could.
Do you believe a shot to Thor's neck wouldn't penetrate?

Under Aaron, I think bullets would bounce off Thor's neck. Jane said bullets tickled, which suggests they were like rain drops to her. Under Priest, I assume a bullet would cut Thor's neck since one cut his forehead. But the Priest example is twenty years old, and the overall trend since the early '90s has been towards Thor being bulletproof more often than not.

What do you mean stated otherwise? I posted scans of exactly just that.

It depends on the writer I guess, but Thor has a WAY better chance of having a bullet bouncing off his neck than Wonder Woman does. That much is clear based on the available evidence.

Available like getting struck in a vulnerable body part?

If a character has bulletproof skin in general, they're probably going to have it on their neck as well. The reason the neck is a vulnerable area is because of what lies beneath the skin (like the jugular veins and wind pipe), not because the skin there is easier to cut than the skin on your face or chest or arms.

Like I said, since its now easy to get to twitter, why not get an official response of Mr Thor being bullet proof as opposed to resistance then pls share with us.
I mean catching bullets is one of your proof also that Thor is bullet proof. Guess Iron Fist is now too.

Are you referring to what Jane did? We don't need to factor in her catching a bullet, since she was no-selling bullets to the upper body a page before that, and specifically said they couldn't harm her.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Mighty-Thor-2016/Issue-10?id=83418#19

Again... you missed it just like rage did. MR THOR.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
I specifically asked you to clarify whether you meant Jane or Odinson with the bullet catching thing, since I know Jane caught a bullet, whereas I'm not aware of Odinson ever doing that. Did Odinson catch a bullet at some point?

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
The first scene with bullets pinging  off her happened two issues after her fight with Thor.

And?

If they were equal in THOR Vol 4 #4, why would Jane suddenly be superior in #6? Did she get a power-up in #5?

Why would she need to? Did Odinson endure bullets in issue 4?

No, but why should we judge Thor's durability by Priest's work alone? He virtually admitted he didn't know the character that well, hence him consulting Busiek for advice on him.

Nobody is saying that we do. It's just Rage insinuating that Diana would've died in Thor's place under Priest.

I'm not specifically defending Rage's point, whether he said that or not. I'm making my own point, which is that Thor's record against bullets is superior to Diana's.

Not under Priest, it isn't.

Actions speak louder than words, and Jane only managed to stalemate Herc there, which is nothing Thor hasn't done multiple times already. Herc and Thor are old rivals, almost like high school buddies, so we shouldn't be surprised if they trade a few zingers that aren't exactly 100% truthful.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Mighty-Thor-2016/Issue-702?id=127013#4

Right, now it's just a zinger.

Like I said, actions speak louder than words, and the physical might Jane demonstrated in that scene is consistent with her having Thor level strength. If Aaron wanted to establish that Jane was stronger than Thor, he should've had her beat Herc, not match him.

He already did that with Hercules explicitly stated so.

Was Mangog getting its teeth knocked out a zinger by Mangog, Thor's old buddy?

Mangog got a tooth knocked out by Mjolnir, not Jane's fist. He also got his tail sliced off by Jarnbjorn. Are we to credit that as a strength feat for Thor?
Has Thor ever knocked Mangog teeth out by mjolnir?

Cutting things with an axe is a strength feat? Heimdall stabbed Mangog, he must be as strong as Odinson.

Rage.Of.Olympus

• +9/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
You asked for a statement of bulletproof support. I posted on the last page scans of Thor giving on panel verbal confirmation of being bullet proof.

You want me to ask a writer? How does that change anything? A writer saying Thor is bullet proof is a lot less conclusive than the current Thor writer and Avengers writer putting into script that he is.

That is a purposefully obtuse statement and has made me realize this convo is in bad faith. You have no desire to get educated on Thor's track record on piercing damage. Jane palmed the bullet directly. We see it shattering against the skin of her palm. She didn't snatch it out of the air like Iron Fist did. She even says it tickles as assault rifles are unloaded on her the previous issue.

I'm talking about Odinson. Hence the term Mister... unless you think Jane is called Mister.

1) Thor is at least as durable as Jane Thor.
2) I posted MR. THOR pointing out that he is bullet proof as well.

Rage.Of.Olympus

• +9/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »

Cutting things with an axe is a strength feat? Heimdall stabbed Mangog, he must be as strong as Odinson.

No, he's done more to Mangog with Mjolnir.

Why are you using Jane Thor with Mjolnir to compare Thor with his bare fists? Do you consider a charged strike with Mjolnir to be a pure strength feat?

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2018, 11:36:22 PM »

No, he's done more to Mangog with Mjolnir.

Like?

Why are you using Jane Thor with Mjolnir to compare Thor with his bare fists? Do you consider a charged strike with Mjolnir to be a pure strength feat?
Jane was bloodying Mangog with just punches too.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2018, 02:20:54 AM »
I specifically asked you to clarify whether you meant Jane or Odinson with the bullet catching thing, since I know Jane caught a bullet, whereas I'm not aware of Odinson ever doing that. Did Odinson catch a bullet at some point?
When did I say Odinson caught a bullet????

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2018, 02:22:26 AM »
You asked for a statement of bulletproof support. I posted on the last page scans of Thor giving on panel verbal confirmation of being bullet proof.

You want me to ask a writer? How does that change anything? A writer saying Thor is bullet proof is a lot less conclusive than the current Thor writer and Avengers writer putting into script that he is.

That is a purposefully obtuse statement and has made me realize this convo is in bad faith. You have no desire to get educated on Thor's track record on piercing damage. Jane palmed the bullet directly. We see it shattering against the skin of her palm. She didn't snatch it out of the air like Iron Fist did. She even says it tickles as assault rifles are unloaded on her the previous issue.

I'm talking about Odinson. Hence the term Mister... unless you think Jane is called Mister.

1) Thor is at least as durable as Jane Thor.
2) I posted MR. THOR pointing out that he is bullet proof as well.
Which is also countered by other instances of not being. Hence the ole thread of Busiek's Thor is not bullet proof.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »
If they were equal in THOR Vol 4 #4, why would Jane suddenly be superior in #6? Did she get a power-up in #5?

Why would she need to? Did Odinson endure bullets in issue 4?

No, but he was portrayed as a physical match for Jane, who pointed out that she had his powers.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-2014/Issue-4?id=7708#9

I'm not specifically defending Rage's point, whether he said that or not. I'm making my own point, which is that Thor's record against bullets is superior to Diana's.

Not under Priest, it isn't.

Were Diana's bones shown to be bulletproof under Priest?

Like I said, actions speak louder than words, and the physical might Jane demonstrated in that scene is consistent with her having Thor level strength. If Aaron wanted to establish that Jane was stronger than Thor, he should've had her beat Herc, not match him.

He already did that with Hercules explicitly stated so.

Herc explicitly stated what?

Mangog got a tooth knocked out by Mjolnir, not Jane's fist. He also got his tail sliced off by Jarnbjorn. Are we to credit that as a strength feat for Thor?

Not that I know of, but that's hardly a reliable yardstick of relative strength. Hawkman broke some of Despero's teeth with his mace in an issue where Superman failed to do the same with a two-fisted haymaker. Would you conclude on that basis that Hawkman's mace hits harder than Superman's fists? I doubt it.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/JLA-JSA-Virtue-and-Vice/TPB?id=103031#85

Cutting something with an axe isn't a pure strength feat, but neither is striking something with a hammer. Strength is a factor in both cases, but so is the implement being used.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:34:50 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

When did I say Odinson caught a bullet????

You didn't say that specifically. But you questioned the validity of Rage.Of.Olympus using bullet-catching as a durability feat for Thor.

http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=18028.msg357945#msg357945

Commander: "I mean catching bullets is one of your proof also that Thor is bullet proof. Guess Iron Fist is now too."

So which bullet-catching feat did you have in mind? The one performed by Jane in the scene below? Or some other example I'm not familiar with?

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Mighty-Thor-2016/Issue-10?id=83418#20