Herochat

Wildcards Novels

Gree

• +39/-6
    • View Profile
Wildcards Novels
« on: March 31, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
So I stumbled upon these and I believe they've been around for a while. Looking for something to read in the airport and I bought High Stakes, not realizing that it was part 3 of a miniseries. I really like the mesh of Lovecraft and Superheroes.

SO what I'm asking is, any other novels in the Wildcards series that have similar elements? Or is there a planned sequel of these three? I guess I could go back and read the first two but unfortunately now it's kind of ruined.

Also, any other series that have a nice Lovecraftian take, with super powered or magical protagonists?

Gree

• +39/-6
    • View Profile
Re: Wildcards Novels
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
Helpppp

MTL76

• +1124/-114
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:51:55 PM »
I highly recommend reading the first two novels as well. They’re anthologies so you’d still enjoy them. Each novel tends to be a self-contained anthology of related stories. And they’re EXCELLENT.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:15:24 AM »
^^^That was pretty much what i had to suggest this morning, but didnt feel like getting a bitchy ‘i asked for a Lovecraftian take whaaah’ Greesponse...:P

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Mightily Oats

• +76/-578
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:46:46 AM »
I highly recommend reading the first two novels as well. They’re anthologies so you’d still enjoy them. Each novel tends to be a self-contained anthology of related stories. And they’re EXCELLENT.
I read the one that came out in the late 2000s.

Drummer Boy was a big figure? The other guy that could turn into a bunch of bugs?

It was okay to pretty good at its best, and wildly inconsistent with the particulars.

George RR Martin's new char was a guy who could summon GL style sword, armour and shield around himself, and depending on who is writing the chapter, he is a fat fuck with powers or a jacked up aryan god (looks not philosophy)

I did really enjoy the GRRM written bits he included in his 2 part anthology of his past work, Dreamsongs, about the guy with the elephant trunk that has a hand on the end as the unofficial "mayor of jokertown" and learning about the Turtle's origins, but I suspect the original stories are probably a lot like the actual book I read where some of it is good, some of it is okay, and mostly the writers only communicated vaguely before it was written and GRRM didn't do a great job as an editor to maintain cohesion.

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »
^^^i read the WC books sporadically up until  ‘Inside Straight’.
That one started the whole next gen arc i’ve really enjoyed. Like the best WC books it takes real world events and spins them in a very entertaining manner.

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Gree

• +39/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »
I read the one that came out in the late 2000s.

Drummer Boy was a big figure? The other guy that could turn into a bunch of bugs?

It was okay to pretty good at its best, and wildly inconsistent with the particulars.

George RR Martin's new char was a guy who could summon GL style sword, armour and shield around himself, and depending on who is writing the chapter, he is a fat fuck with powers or a jacked up aryan god (looks not philosophy)

I did really enjoy the GRRM written bits he included in his 2 part anthology of his past work, Dreamsongs, about the guy with the elephant trunk that has a hand on the end as the unofficial "mayor of jokertown" and learning about the Turtle's origins, but I suspect the original stories are probably a lot like the actual book I read where some of it is good, some of it is okay, and mostly the writers only communicated vaguely before it was written and GRRM didn't do a great job as an editor to maintain cohesion.

Lohengrin

Gree

• +39/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »

Sounds good, thanks for the help

XerxesTWD

• +85/-25
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
Forget this series, yo. You should read the Warriors novel series. It has like 20 books, so you'll be set for 4 days.

Riv1

• +53/-1041
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
The 80s movie?

SCOURGEBREAKER HULK

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 05:17:20 AM »
This describes most Hellboy stories if mythology and HP Lovecraftian SciFi is your thing

Gree

• +39/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
True, but looking for more novel form