Herochat

Reading Thor: God of Thunder

Wyntyr

• +108/-82
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
Reading Thor: God of Thunder
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:40:08 AM »
holy shit, why did you guys not tell me about this? I've never been a Thor guy since I've only seen his appearances in Avengers books and he's usually just annoying in those, but I'm 4 issues in and between the mythology, the writing, and the art this is not only my favorite run of a character I've never been a fan of but possibly one of my favorite runs period.

The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Thor: God of Thunder
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:22:24 AM »
holy shit, why did you guys not tell me about this? I've never been a Thor guy since I've only seen his appearances in Avengers books and he's usually just annoying in those, but I'm 4 issues in and between the mythology, the writing, and the art this is not only my favorite run of a character I've never been a fan of but possibly one of my favorite runs period.
The Godslayer arc is Aaron's best work....but, it goes downhill quickly after,& loses focus.

Upper_Krust

• +11/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
Its a terrible run overall, but it does start on a high albeit the first story is 11 issues long and starts to take the piss with its decompression - a trend continued throughout the entire run.

Once Thor is gender swopped it really turns into a shit sandwich though.

Panthergod

• +41/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
Its not terrible. Its consistently a great run.. With a few stupid pandering feminists shit here and there. Craftwise its excellent. And only behavioral invalid s disagree.

Upper_Krust

• +11/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
Its not terrible. Its consistently a great run..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

...I take it you are buying the run?

With a few stupid pandering feminists shit here and there.

ie. The entire premise being atheistic and feminist propaganda and the open hatred and put down of male characters.

Craftwise its excellent.

I guess its difficult to criticise a modern comic for its decompression given how the cinematic style is so rampant throughout today's comics (to their detriment I would argue).

To Aaron's credit he DOES know how to generate hype using controversial 'shock' tactics and teases.

- Thor is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir!
- Thor is now a woman!
- Who is the female Thor?
- What was the whisper said to Thor to make him unworthy?
- Will Thor wield the Ultimate Mjolnir?
- Who is the War Thor?
- The Death of the Mighty Thor!

etc.

And only behavioral invalid s disagree.

If you like cuckolded male characters being put down and 'morally superior' female 'heroines' acting nasty and self-entitled while simultaneously playing the victim - then its the comic for you.

JAXN

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 03:33:05 PM »
Aaron’s Thor run has been the best comic I’ve read, aside from Ewing’s Ultimates, in quite some time

Kallor

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
Starts strong, wanes during the Malekith bit, then ends entertainingly if not terribly consistent.  Whether one likes the Jane Thor stuff depends, I suspect, on how willing they are to allow Aaron to re-invent the mythos. 

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
Starts strong, wanes during the Malekith bit, then ends entertainingly if not terribly consistent.  Whether one likes the Jane Thor stuff depends, I suspect, on how willing they are to allow Aaron to re-invent the mythos.
He just had Jane LOSE Mjolnir by throwing it into the sun!..after showing TWO OTHER THORS,with two Mjolnir's,& a third Thor with a regular hammer,fighting inside a star!his reinvention is based in stupidity!

Whiskeyclone

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
I liked the first two arcs (the second has the League of the Realms or whatever fighting Malekith, right?). It still had moments, but went downhill quickly after that. The Galactus/Surfer arc was where we can really see a lot of Aaron's dumb attempts to change character basics to his whims and just wasn't very good. The Minotaur/businessman villain was a welcome add, but the writing got cheaper and the ideas got weaker and stretched thinner as it went on. I don't even mind temporarily replacing Thor with She-Thor, that kind of thing just happens every so often, but Aaron run has seemed to become a full-on assault on the entire Thor mythos, as well as the Odinson character.

I was a big fan of Aaron's Wolverine/X stuff, and I think pretty much everyone likes Scalped, so it's a bit of a bummer that he's gotten hackier.

Upper_Krust

• +11/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »
but Aaron run has seemed to become a full-on assault on the entire Thor mythos, as well as the Odinson character.

Thor stands for everything Aaron despises: masculinity and religion.

Some gods being bad means ALL gods are unworthy - despite Thor having saved the Earth a hundred times over. Of course Aaron never applies this same 'logic' to mortals.

To build-up Jane-Thor Aaron made all the male characters the complete opposites of themselves:

- Heroic, confident, alpha male Thor becomes a disabled, self-doubting, simpering cuck
- Beneficent, Loving, Wise Odin becomes a mass murdering patriarch dictator with erectile dysfunction
- Faux-Coward with the heart of gold Volstagg becomes a violent psychopath

...surprised he hasn't turned Fandral gay and made Hogun a talk show host....perhaps that's the next arc with the hundred Mjolnirs.

Aaron writing Thor is tantamount to getting Hillary to write Trump's Autobiography.

Kallor

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
but Aaron run has seemed to become a full-on assault on the entire Thor mythos

Pretty much, which is why I say that the ability to enjoy it depends on how much slack the reader gives him in re-inventing everything. 

Wyntyr

• +108/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
I love this art, although I'm not a huge fan of Gorr being literally Voldemort

Gree

• +38/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
I love this art, although I'm not a huge fan of Gorr being literally Voldemort

Starts very strong, and then goes downhill. Art is amazing, also hated Gorrs design.

Amazing amazing art

Wyntyr

• +108/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:01:19 PM »
So I take back what I said. The first 4 issues were ridiculously good, but man it's going downhill quick

Panthergod

• +41/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:05:52 PM »
Its not terrible. Its consistently a great run..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

...I take it you are buying the run?

With a few stupid pandering feminists shit here and there.

ie. The entire premise being atheistic and feminist propaganda and the open hatred and put down of male characters.

Over exaggerrated windbagegrry from hilariously insecure male nerds. And I'm one of the people who hjave been going ham on femninism for years on this board.

Craftwise its excellent.

I guess its difficult to criticise a modern comic for its decompression given how the cinematic style is so rampant throughout today's comics (to their detriment I would argue).

To Aaron's credit he DOES know how to generate hype using controversial 'shock' tactics and teases.

- Thor is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir!
- Thor is now a woman!
- Who is the female Thor?
- What was the whisper said to Thor to make him unworthy?
- Will Thor wield the Ultimate Mjolnir?
- Who is the War Thor?
- The Death of the Mighty Thor!

etc.

And only behavioral invalid s disagree.

If you like cuckolded male characters being put down and 'morally superior' female 'heroines' acting nasty and self-entitled while simultaneously playing the victim - then its the comic for you.

'cuckolded' please, keep your incredibly revealing insecurities to yourself kid.

The comic is well done overall. period. Whining that Thor got replaced is hilarious as it's a staple of the mythos.

And yeah, Odin being an abusive asshole has been there since Stan Lee and Kirby.