Herochat

Amazon lists hundreds of recent Marvel collections for 99 cents each

SmeaGog

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
Digitally of course, through either Kindle or the Comixology storefront. Deals seem to include just about every recent collection Marvel's published, including Secret Empire, the complete Vision Director's Cut, and some Star Wars shit, as well as some new collections of older material like The Death of Jean DeWolff and Simonson's Thor run.

Most of you will have probably heard about it a couple of days ago, but I figured it was worth a shout all the same.

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon lists hundreds of recent Marvel collections for 99 cents each
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
Thank you

XerxesTWD

• +68/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
They do this deal at least once a month.

Kallor

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
Yeah, it's been pretty constant, and even this month they've been doing a handful of different trades (including Epic collections) a week for $1 before now doing the huge sale again. 

I'm not sure how they're making money on it, my guess is piracy and Marvel Unlimited subscriptions have made digital comics hard to sell for Marvel.  I've been taking advantage of the sales, which are even further reduced with a Comixology unlimited subscription (Amazon owns Comixology so they tend to have the same sales).  Epic Collections and Marvel Masterworks for .84 cents?  Yes, please.

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
What is a comixology unlimited subscription?

I would gladly pay about $30 a month for unlimited comic access. Maybe another $10 for back issues

Kallor

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
What is a comixology unlimited subscription?

I would gladly pay about $30 a month for unlimited comic access. Maybe another $10 for back issues

Sadly it's not like that.  To make things more confusing, Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited work completely different.

Marvel Unlimited - Has most, but not all, major comics past and present available with the exception that the most recent comics are on a six month delay.  Each week you get new comics that came out six months ago.  It costs $10 a month (or even less if you pay for it yearly) and is a great service.

Comixology Unlimited - Works like Netflix where the comics available rotate in and out.  This includes every major and most little comic publishers but DC.  For example, one month I read Nick Spencer's Morning Glories from Image along with nearly the entire Red Sonja catalog from Dynamite comics as well as The Woods from Boom!Studios.  Since it operates on the Netflix model only some of those titles are still available through the service and new ones have been added.  It's a decent service but nowhere near as good as Marvel Unlimited, and costs $6 a month.

There is currently no unlimited style service with DC, and it sucks because their current stuff is exactly the kind of branching long-form storytelling that makes Marvel Unlimited so great when you pull up an old crossover and get to see every little tie-in laid out.