Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Character Redesigns  (Read 15941 times)

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
Re: Character Redesigns
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »

Its funny you chose Starman for an example.
He's the only hero who had the same boot style as Superman. True story!

Well, I went with Starman because he's more or less wearing Superman's outfit with some minor cosmetic differences. Take away the hood and its basically Superman's outfit in Red and Green with a star in place of the S-Symbol. Given he was also one of the relatively few flying heroes of the Golden Age, and his powers came from the stars, I could see Clark identifying with him and wanting to emulate that look, just sans the head-gear because he wants folks to trust him, and thus goes completely maskless.

nu-safado

• Administrator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »

Agreed with Billy's look, love it. One thing I always loved about cap marvel is that the button, cape held ob by a threaded rope and the yellow trim is that it looks somewhere in-between a ceremonial uniform(military,fireman, cop-whatever you would wear when you accept a medal of valor)

The uniform still looks functional even with its ceremonial aspect and. Best of all, it's very regal. The very imposing,regal look of it implies enormous power but tempered with morality and responsibility and it separates him from all the super clones who all seem to have uniforms that imply power first, posture second.

Superman and marvel are the two classic uniforms of that genre of most powerful guy/s around that also imply more than mere power.

Panthergod

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »

Its funny you chose Starman for an example.
He's the only hero who had the same boot style as Superman. True story!

Well, I went with Starman because he's more or less wearing Superman's outfit with some minor cosmetic differences. Take away the hood and its basically Superman's outfit in Red and Green with a star in place of the S-Symbol. Given he was also one of the relatively few flying heroes of the Golden Age, and his powers came from the stars, I could see Clark identifying with him and wanting to emulate that look, just sans the head-gear because he wants folks to trust him, and thus goes completely maskless.

Excet that Starman is basrd on Superman, and not the other way around.

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »

Excet that Starman is basrd on Superman, and not the other way around.

No kidding, but in a Pre-Flashpoint universe where the JSA predate Superman and Clark is simply the first hero of the modern age, it's a minor touch to explain Superman's more classic appearance. Just "These were the heroes that came before me, I wanted to honor the tradition they set up", even if he came out before them in our actual history.

Panthergod

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »

The of the few good things about the nu 52 is that it did away with that bullshit, even if the downside is that those idiots wiped out the Authentic Justice Society, making it a horrible tradeoff. Smh.

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »

The of the few good things about the nu 52 is that it did away with that bullshit, even if the downside is that those idiots wiped out the Authentic Justice Society, making it a horrible tradeoff. Smh.

It's just something you can't have both ways. You can't really have Superman be the first hero in a world where the JSA fought in WWII without Superman having also been in WWII, which ages the character beyond the 30 something he's suppose to be in the modern era. And the JSA are as much tied to WWII as Captain America is, which is part of the reason why Earth 2 doesn't quite feel right. You can go the Pre-Crisis route, but I like the JSA being on the main DC Earth due to the legacy aspect.

For my money it makes sense to have the JSA fight in WWII to establish this sense of legacy and heroism, but have Superman be the first hero of the 21st century. It fits thematically with his whole "Man of Tomorrow" niche, while paying tribute to the notion that other costumed heroes had come before him, like the Shadow, Green Hornet and the Phantom.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09:27 AM »

Long pants on the Robin costume. Redesign of the millennium.

Ramz

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 01:37:16 AM »

If they changed the colour up, Id like the Nightwing one. Though it would be more of an elaborate type thing than a re design in that case.

also, x men one is pretty good.

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »

Long pants on the Robin costume. Redesign of the millennium.

Agreed.

This was always my favorite Robin costume. Seemed like the perfect balance of a modern update, but with a lot of nods to what made the classic one work. I disliked it when they got rid of the green with later Robin looks, as it made the overall outfit too dark and brooding.

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:23 AM »

As for that Nightwing image on the first page, I like the general color scheme as it returns to what we saw with his first and second costumes, but I find the segmented armor to be a bit too busy. I'd take the overall design, simplify it to the more traditional spandex-style look, and throw in a few elements from the first outfit like the utility bracers that served as additional storage units for gear.

Something kind of like the above, just with a few tweaks here and there, and, you know, done by an actual artist and not just my attempts at Photoshop.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 06:43:07 AM »

No, that looks fine.
I'm with you on both your posts. The Drake costume was a fine blend of new and old.
NW could lose the armored look on his design while still keeping the protection.
Just have the artist smooth things out like in your pic.

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:39 AM »

One thing I liked about Dick taking over the Batman role was getting into how different their approaches to being Batman would be. Dick commented that, first and foremost, he was an acrobat, so he immediately lightened the armor of both the cape and the suit and altered the cape to have more of a gliding effect to aid rather than hinder his movements. I likewise don't think Dick would wear much more than the 'spandex kevlar' that use to be popular in Pre-Flashpoint DC, as it's the best compromise between movement and protection.

Ares

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »

And speaking of Nightwing, I found an image of Starfire that I thought was a nice compromise between her classic outfit and the more conservative outfit she wore in the late 90's Titan series:

Give it some of the gems her original outfit use to have and it'd be perfect.

As a side note, I hated it when the broke Dick and Kory up, and kept teasing them maybe getting back together, just because they wanted to also tease a relationship with Oracle. I hated the whole Barbara/Dick romance, because it came completely out of left field and felt mostly like Bat-Editorial was trying to distance Dick as much from the Titans as possible. Dick and Kory actually had character development to establish their relationship, it felt natural and they worked hard for it. The Barbara relationship felt like they just went "aw, fuck it".

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »

Nice outfit!

I've always been team Kory. Dick and Barbara were always more brother/sister to me. Yeah, they tried the sex stuff but found they were better as friends.

Until it got changed.

Bandido

• Stonemason
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »

Also, Sinestro having less of a Melon head stronger bone-ridges in his face for nu52.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11