Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Character Redesigns  (Read 17145 times)

scourge

• King Jaffe Joffer
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Character Redesigns
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »

Post any redesigns of characters that you really enjoy. They don't have to be one those that have actually happened in the books. If they're ones no one has ever seen before all the better.

scourge

• King Jaffe Joffer
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Re: Character Redesigns
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:59 AM »

To get things started, this redesign of the classic X-Men, while subtle, really works for me. Based on appearances only, I'd be more interested in seeing what these guys do with this look than if they were in their classic outfits.

80sBaby

• Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »

Angel actually looks useful there.

80sBaby

• Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »

Why didn't they use that Nightwing design? That's ridic!

shadowknight

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

The NW design is great

INDRA THUNDERER

• Mushu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »

love the X-men new design...Iceman looks monstrous,& powerful

Arcturian Mega-Goat

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »

Nightbulge is no Batbulge.

Mightily Oats

• Billy Ray Valentine
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »

I'm not remotely surprised that you like that
FUCKING DIGUSTING

Mightily Oats

• Billy Ray Valentine
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 06:25:49 AM »

I have always liked the look of the pure white Vision.

I don't know the character at all, and from what I understand he's one of Sickly Nickly's boys and the colour change came with a drastic character change, but my first introduction to the Vision was from Captain America and the Avengers on the Genesis and Arcade, and i always liked the white look way more
FUCKING DIGUSTING

scourge

• King Jaffe Joffer
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »

There are some designs that were only in the comics briefly, that I enjoyed quite a bit. These were usually versions of characters in alternate reality settings.

Age of Apocalypse: specifically Sunfire, but also Nightcrawler as he's just so natural with a sword--Though I didn't like the change in Nightcrawler's personality in the AoA version. Sunfire is just a dick like usual, but Nightcrawler lost all his charm.

Age of X: Along those lines, I like the look of Rogue here with her skull glove:

Gambit's ok, but he's basically Metal Gear Solid Gambit and Gambit's look has usually been pretty good regardless. While Rogue's look is cool there, I'm also a big fan of her modern green and white uniform and her classic 90's green and yellow with the leather jacket look. All the others, like Extreme X-Men and her early pre 90's day looks are shitty comparatively.

House of M: Iron Man's Gundam/Transformer look here was a fun change. Not one that I think would work consistently, but I liked the direction they went in and wouldn't mind seeing this being one of his special occasion armors.

Negative Zone Gladiator: This isn't an alternate reality version AFAIK but it fits with the theme. Johnny Storm as he was when he came back from the negative zone was a pretty nice redesign. It was the first time Torch came across with some kind of intimidation, which makes sense. The guy should be intimidating. He can set you on fire.

Side note: Whitey Spidey however, I'm less big on, although I liked the white suits just fine for the FF in general. And it's not that I hated Spidey wearing the team colors, but it was no black suit Spider-man, and doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Ares

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »

I have always liked the look of the pure white Vision.

I don't know the character at all, and from what I understand he's one of Sickly Nickly's boys and the colour change came with a drastic character change, but my first introduction to the Vision was from Captain America and the Avengers on the Genesis and Arcade, and i always liked the white look way more
White Vision was a Byrne thing. He said someone with his name and powers should be ghost like.

Byrne was also the one that decided he had to undo decades of character development to get Vision "back to basics", even though "a completely robotic personality with no sense of humanity" was in no way the Vision's original personality, given the guy was crying in his first appearance. Byrne's kind of crazy like that.

I don't necessarily think that the white look was BAD, per say, with the right additional bits it could have been classic. The problem was they often tinged the shading on the Vision to be this ugly light yellow rather than gray, so he often had this piss yellow complexion. He was also basically going around in a shoulder cape and a speedo. Give his outfit a little more of a design to it and get rid of the yellow highlights and it could have been a solid look. I'd still prefer the classic outfit, but unless a re-design really grabs me, I tend to prefer the classics.

This was a re-design of Wonder Man that I thought looked pretty cool, with some slight tweaking to it to get the colors of the stomach area and the pants/arms to match.

Likewise, this was all the alteration I felt the Captain Marvel look ever really needed. Some yellow trim around the jacket flap, a high collar, and a slightly longer cape. I'd probably get rid of the button/diamond designs on the cape as well to clean it up a little, but other than that I think this is a perfect look for Cap. Ironically he was the only one that missed out on all the high collars that DC was handing out with the reboot.

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »

I don't know, that Captain Marvel outfit could really use a hood...

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Necro

• Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »

The AOA designs in general were pretty amazing.
I liked Colossus more Corsair'ish look as well, and, as mentioned, Sunfire was fantastic like hell.
No surprise they actually adopted it as his standard look for 616 Marvel.

I kind of like the concept of Angel as a sniper.
I mean, imagine him somewhere far out of sight, hovering just up there between the clouds, killing people out of nowhere.
Add to that a kind of stoic personality, and it would really work nicely.

Bandido

• Sherman Klump
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »

I like nu 52 Batman, the briefs going away helped him, though I feel Superman's costume suffered losing the brief's look. - Mainly because Batman is almost always shrouded in his cape or shadows whereas Superman's looks like blue nightwear now.

Ares

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »

For some reason, I have an easier time seeing Batman lose the trunks than I do Superman. I don't mind them on Batman, but with the right coloring he can lose them and it doesn't really affect his look. With Superman tho, the trunks are just a part of what make the suit classic. It helps there that it was based on the old spandex suits circus strongmen use to wear to show off their physiques, and the trunks were a necessary inclusion in order for said spandex to not show off anything indecent. It'd be very easy for a more classic Superman to justify that type of costume design when questioned about it.

"Well, when I decided I was going to be a superhero, I took my inspiration from heroes in the JSA, especially guys like Starman. He was my favorite hero growing up, and I wanted to emulate that kind of look."
Pages: [1] 2