Herochat

Superman vs Juggernaut in a slugfest

shadowknight

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Superman vs Juggernaut in a slugfest
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »
Full powered Juggernaut gets hit on the Eye and loses.

Grow up. And grow some integrity while you're at it.

Superman eats and sleeps because that is his connection to humanity.

When Batman gained Superman's powers Batman explicitly stated that he no longer needed to eat nor sleep.

That's evidence, and I respect evidence. But, establishing that Superman doesn't require sleep isn't the same as establishing that he can't get worn out from constant exertion.
SM benchpress the Earth for 5 whole days and he was in the middle of the planet away from the sun. After all that time he had a tiny bit of sweat on his forehead. To me it implies SM is near inexhaustible as long as he can replenish himself with yellow sun radiation.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 12:09:01 AM »
He does not need to eat or sleep like humans do simply because this is what makes him human.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »
There is no consistent take on to what extent eating, sleeping, and even breathing are necessary to Superman. Clearly, he is typically portrayed as being able to go without any of the above for long periods, but whether that has a cost or whether he eventually needs to, is unclear. Similarly, aging and immortality are not consistently portrayed for Kryptonians.

The real question here is whether Superman can hurt Juggernaut at all. In many ways, short of one of the extreme all-out Superman portrayals, this is more about the Juggernaut's portrayal than Superman's. The truly indestructible Juggernaut likely wins, but any portrayal that has a Juggernaut that can be hurt by punches from elite top tiers (or even above) might lose.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »
Juggs has to sleep.

He does? Where was this established?

Superman doesn't. Which means Juggy get A tired first. Superman only has a bed to make Lois feel like a real wife. lol.

Superman has been shown sleeping even when he lived alone, like in Hunter/Prey.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Superman-Doomsday-Hunter-Prey/Issue-1?id=84211#9

He also gets tired if he's constantly fighting for too long, like in Death of Superman.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Action-Comics-1938/Issue-684?id=25956#21

Didn't he go to bed after fucking She Hulk? I'm sure he was at his best then. lol.

But you're wrong, because that was Huggernaut, the depowered Juggernaut from Chuck Austen's X-Men run. And he wasn't shown sleeping, just lying awake in bed next to that alt-universe She-Hulk.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Uncanny-X-Men-1963/Issue-435?id=23148#21

They went to bed fool. It's obvious this was the Morning after.

You don't know what time they went to bed, or whether they slept at all. You didn't even know it was a depowered Juggernaut, which shows how little you know about that story. And you're still trying to use it as a reference, despite having been told it was a depowered Juggernaut.

Prove that a full power Juggernaut needs to sleep.

And all that Superman shit is from long hair Superman. Doesn't count. Weaker.

It counts more than your complete lack of evidence that Superman doesn't get tired, or require sleep.

Prove that Superman doesn't need to sleep anymore.

Juggernaut has literally been burned to a skeleton and kept going. D'Spyre I believe even took out his eyes, but it din't stop him.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:05 AM »
There is no consistent take on to what extent eating, sleeping, and even breathing are necessary to Superman. Clearly, he is typically portrayed as being able to go without any of the above for long periods, but whether that has a cost or whether he eventually needs to, is unclear. Similarly, aging and immortality are not consistently portrayed for Kryptonians.

The real question here is whether Superman can hurt Juggernaut at all. In many ways, short of one of the extreme all-out Superman portrayals, this is more about the Juggernaut's portrayal than Superman's. The truly indestructible Juggernaut likely wins, but any portrayal that has a Juggernaut that can be hurt by punches from elite top tiers (or even above) might lose.

It is a matter of need. As Batman indicated. He no longer felt the need to sleep or eat. Its not about long periods.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 02:59:20 AM »
I'm reluctant to take a single comic as decisive evidence as to what is the typical take, even if that evidence was decisive for that given arc or portrayal.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 03:07:07 AM »
Whatever floats your boat. Superman does not necessarily need food & sleep like humans. Unless you can prove he NEEDS food & sleep.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 03:20:26 AM »
He clearly has a different relationship to food and sleep than most humans. The question is whether it's totally irrelevant to him. Does he eventually need it? Does going without cause him any issues after a certain amount of time? I doubt this question really has that much bearing on the fight, but I do find it interesting.

Animalia

• +8/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 03:37:22 AM »
I doubt this question really has that much bearing on the fight, but I do find it interesting.
Well,imho it does,or at least I see this fight going for long time before we see a winner.

Animalia

• +8/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 03:44:18 AM »
This is also my question,as far as I know he's,at his peak,invulnerable and unstoppable unless you use magic or tlephatic powers.
I know other heroes have been said to be invulnerable but most of the time it's more a hyperbole.

Now,if magic(or certain energies)can bypass Superman defences while at the same time cant it protect someone from getting hurt by his punches?

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 03:47:05 AM »
I doubt this question really has that much bearing on the fight, but I do find it interesting.
Well,imho it does,or at least I see this fight going for long time before we see a winner.

I really don't see that. Juggernaut, regardless of how total his invulnerability is portrayed, has always been shown strong enough to hurt most Superman portrayals. Furthermore, this is a slugfest where skill isn't really involved. Superman can't take a pounding from Juggernaut so long that need to sleep or eat becomes involved, particularly given that we have all agreed that regardless of whether he ultimately needs sleep or food, he can certainly go without it for a very long time.

So to me, the question is whether Superman can hurt Juggernaut, and how badly.

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 03:48:21 AM »
Juggs has to sleep.

He does? Where was this established?

Superman doesn't. Which means Juggy get A tired first. Superman only has a bed to make Lois feel like a real wife. lol.

Superman has been shown sleeping even when he lived alone, like in Hunter/Prey.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Superman-Doomsday-Hunter-Prey/Issue-1?id=84211#9

He also gets tired if he's constantly fighting for too long, like in Death of Superman.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Action-Comics-1938/Issue-684?id=25956#21

Didn't he go to bed after fucking She Hulk? I'm sure he was at his best then. lol.

But you're wrong, because that was Huggernaut, the depowered Juggernaut from Chuck Austen's X-Men run. And he wasn't shown sleeping, just lying awake in bed next to that alt-universe She-Hulk.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Uncanny-X-Men-1963/Issue-435?id=23148#21

They went to bed fool. It's obvious this was the Morning after.

You don't know what time they went to bed, or whether they slept at all. You didn't even know it was a depowered Juggernaut, which shows how little you know about that story. And you're still trying to use it as a reference, despite having been told it was a depowered Juggernaut.

Prove that a full power Juggernaut needs to sleep.

And all that Superman shit is from long hair Superman. Doesn't count. Weaker.

It counts more than your complete lack of evidence that Superman doesn't get tired, or require sleep.

Prove that Superman doesn't need to sleep anymore.

Juggernaut has literally been burned to a skeleton and kept going. D'Spyre I believe even took out his eyes, but it din't stop him.

That almost killed him despite his bravado.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 03:54:06 AM »
What do people mean by 'peak'? Do you mean his most powerful portrayals? Or do you mean an average of all portrayals where the writer felt Juggernaut was at full power, even if that writer's take on 'full power' involved a Juggernaut who was less powerful than other writers had shown him to be?

The most powerful Juggernaut portrayals have a Juggernaut who is beyond elite top tier physical damage and/or can regenerate almost instantly from anything that actually hurt him. Some of Superman's most extreme all-out portrayals *might* go beyond this level, and thus possibly be able to hurt such a Juggernaut. But we are talking about a level of invulnerability that could easily take a Godblast.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
I have no idea what that godblast means when Superman has taken a blast that destroyed a planet. Its like the godblast is some deus ex machina reality-warping universal-destroying level 3 maximum bar attack  :o

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:49 AM »

What if we take Superman at his best?

I was.

At his best, Juggernaut is impervious to physical harm

Actually I’m not sure he couldn’t eventually put Supes down. He hurt the Stranger and has KOed Thor and the Hulk.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:30:58 AM by Sick Nick »