Herochat

The new Mera series & an unrelated question

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
The new Mera series & an unrelated question
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »
First of all, liked the first issue. I'm in.
Now waiting for a Big Barda series to make my fantasies complete...;D

Secind of all, the set-up.
Anyhow, read a review of the book on a site listing recommended comics this morning (cant find the link sorry), and a comment had me thinking through the day.
The reviewer liked the book too, but said 'its a shame none of the creative team is female'.
WTF?
That struck me as fucking stupid.
To me thats like saying only certain creators should/can work well on certain characters.
I've seen it said about ethnic characters too. 
Not true, imo
A big deal was made of the hot shit female writer on America Chavez's book last year, and that book sucked major ass.
Not a comic, but one of the most popular/enduring black characters in modern fiction is Alex Cross, and his creator is white af.

Thirdly the question.
Should certain characters only be worked on by certain creators to bring out their best or is that bullshit? 

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
Re: The new Mera series & an unrelated question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
1st - Just read Mera #1 yesterday. It is off to a quite promising start. Art and writing were good in the initial issue.

2nd - Sounds like that reviewer is a online cultural SJW. Or at least buys into that mindset. Well done is well done, and schlock is schlock. The last several years in comic books (especially Marvel's) are filled with people hired or given their assignments largely out of what genitals they possess. Or what the color of their skin is. Or what their political beliefs are. And that has given the comics buying public some of the lowest quality trash ever. Along with sinking sales.

3rd -
Sig : Kiki Passo

MTL76

• +1126/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:04:45 PM »
Yeah it’s bullshit. A good writer can write anything. Good writers do their research. Lazy writers take on characters and think they can coast because they share some qualities with the character... Has that ever worked?

From a recent interview with Christopher Priest:

I wrote a novel called 1999. It’s my Astro City, a self-contained superhero universe. The main character is this police officer who’s Irish. I knew nothing about Irish people, so I spent time doing research. I wrote a novel about a black female New York City arson investigator. I know nothing about being a firefighter. I know nothing about their apparatus or tactics, but you research, you get on the phone, you track people down, and you talk to actual firefighters. You find out about all this. Once you master this universe, then you sit down and start writing about it. I think I wrote a convincing Irishmen, a convincing black woman, a convincing firefighter. I know the lingo and the equipment, and my writing has authority because of it.

Don’t tell me I can’t write a Chinese lesbian superhero. That’s bullshit. I can write anything.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:26:57 PM »
Give the fucking link man

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:38:21 AM »
1st - Just read Mera #1 yesterday. It is off to a quite promising start. Art and writing were good in the initial issue.
Looking forward to issue 2. This reminds me of New52 Aquaman's first issue, so i'm very excited.

2nd - Sounds like that reviewer is a online cultural SJW. Or at least buys into that mindset. Well done is well done, and schlock is schlock. The last several years in comic books (especially Marvel's) are filled with people hired or given their assignments largely out of what genitals they possess. Or what the color of their skin is. Or what their political beliefs are. And that has given the comics buying public some of the lowest quality trash ever. Along with sinking sales.
Nicely put.
I think the reason his comment stayed w. me is it seemed so out of place. It served no purpose in the rebiew.

3rd -

haha!

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 01:39:50 AM »
Yeah it’s bullshit. A good writer can write anything. Good writers do their research. Lazy writers take on characters and think they can coast because they share some qualities with the character... Has that ever worked?

From a recent interview with Christopher Priest:

I wrote a novel called 1999. It’s my Astro City, a self-contained superhero universe. The main character is this police officer who’s Irish. I knew nothing about Irish people, so I spent time doing research. I wrote a novel about a black female New York City arson investigator. I know nothing about being a firefighter. I know nothing about their apparatus or tactics, but you research, you get on the phone, you track people down, and you talk to actual firefighters. You find out about all this. Once you master this universe, then you sit down and start writing about it. I think I wrote a convincing Irishmen, a convincing black woman, a convincing firefighter. I know the lingo and the equipment, and my writing has authority because of it.

Don’t tell me I can’t write a Chinese lesbian superhero. That’s bullshit. I can write anything.
Thats about the truest thing i've read in a while.
Well said on his part, good in him.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

HalloweenJack

• +31/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile