Herochat

Sun writer who never read Frankenstein talks down to students who did

NeoGreenLantern

• +90/-21
    • View Profile
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5732932/snowflake-students-dub-frakenstein-misunderstood-victim/

SNOWFLAKE students claim Frankenstein’s monster was a misunderstood victim with feelings.

A professor has even suggested the lab-created murderer could be protected by human rights laws.

nglish author Mary Shelley’s classic novel Frankenstein has terrified millions since it was first published in 1818.

In it, scientist Victor Frankenstein’s monster gets snubbed by society and then murders his creator’s brother, pal and bride. But an academic has revealed growing support for the beast in the introduction to a 200th anniversary edition of the book.

Prof Nick Groom, of Exeter University, said: “When I teach the book now, students are very sentimental towards the being. But he is a mass murderer.”

He then asked: “If he’s not human, but he is intelligent and sentient, does he have rights?”

Mary Shelley expert Professor David Punter, of Bristol University, said: “It’s a familiar story isn’t it, someone with a terrible upbringing going on to commit terrible crimes.

“The monster does deserve sympathy.

“I don’t believe he would qualify as human and I’m not sure he would qualify under any kind of animal rights regulations either. I think the poor chap would rather fall in between two stools.”

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Re: Sun writer who never read Frankenstein talks down to students who did
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
one of the reasons the story works is because you can see the monster and Frankenstein as both sympathetic and assholes.

depth and drama.

fuck em both.

take that as either the monster and the doctor or the professor and the students

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »
Even the old Boris Karloff movies displayed the monster as mostly misunderstood and that one took a lot of liberties with the source material.  In fact, I'm not sure I've seen a version of the character that wasn't at least a little sympathetic.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 12:55:13 AM »
^^^agreed.
And, yeah, i may have to Google search and see if i can find an evil Frank story.

you’ll never see me coming...

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:11:04 AM »
^^^agreed.
And, yeah, i may have to Google search and see if i can find an evil Frank story.

That might be a fun little search.  I wonder if HJ knows of one?

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
Well, Curse of Frankenstein might qualify.

The monster really is mindless and homicidal and kills an old blind man and his grandson, and Baron Frankenstein is always a bastard is most of the Hammer series....except ironically enough for the one called Evil of Frankenstein where he was more of a nice guy.

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
same token though, the monster is pretty pathetic in that one....not in a badly made way or anything....just it's a pretty pathetic creature