Herochat

Silver Surfer movie storyline?

Silver Surfer movie storyline?
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
What run should FOX use for their stand alone Surfer movie.  Imo, In Thy Name would be perfect.  Very much in the vein of movies like GOTG or Thor: Ragnorok.  Simple, action-packed storyline that you can easily fill in with lots of little moments of levity (especially the Galactus illusion.  You could get a lot of comedy mileage out of that.)  Thor had way too much comedy, but if you sprinkle some in it could make Surfer a fan favorite, particularly with the younger demo.  Unlike Superman, Surfer is in fact a true messianic figure, while also be tailor-made for kids to love.  He's shiny and surfs through the fabric of spacetime.  Kids are gonna love him if they get it right. 

What do you guys think his movie should be about?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:48:15 PM by BillyRunsThingsSon »

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Surfer movie sroryline?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
What run should FOX use for their stand alone Surfer movie.

Isn't he, along with all other Marvel characters from FOX,back with Disney now?

Re: Silver Surfer movie sroryline?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
What run should FOX use for their stand alone Surfer movie.

Isn't he, along with all other Marvel characters from FOX,back with Disney now?

Report: Saga's Brian K. Vaughan Is Writing a Silver Surfer Movie for Fox

Fox has already rapidly expanded its slate of Marvel movies when it comes to the X-Men Universe, with everything from Deadpool to New Mutants pushing beyond the main X-films. But now, it appears the studio is looking to flesh out the Marvel characters it has access to through the Fantastic Four, starting with the herald of Galactus himself—the Silver Surfer.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-sagas-brian-k-vaughan-is-writing-a-silver-sur-1823356929

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Surfer movie storyline?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
I hope they go with something a bit more epic and serious with a Surfer movie.  Making guardians of the Galaxy a comedy works as there a lot of goofy aliens associated with that version of the team.  Thor was a little overdone in the comedy department, I think.  Surfer's entire backstory involves him seeking repentance for being genocidal.  That's some heavy shit.

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
I hope they go with something a bit more epic and serious with a Surfer movie.  Making guardians of the Galaxy a comedy works as there a lot of goofy aliens associated with that version of the team.  Thor was a little overdone in the comedy department, I think.  Surfer's entire backstory involves him seeking repentance for being genocidal.  That's some heavy shit.
In other words,it's going to suck!

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:15:05 PM »
I just want Peter Dinklage as Galactus

Propeus The Fallen

• +31/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »
Why not base a Silver Surfer movie on the recent series?

Surfer comes to earth, The dot lady I can't remember tags along in space, she notices how everyone is scared of The surfer, get on a planet about to be annihilated by Galactus and learns he used to be his herald.

Surfer stands up for the planet, she rallies the planet, give up the planet, and then search for a new world.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 04:02:21 AM »

Surfer comes to earth, The dot lady I can't remember tags along in space, she notices how everyone is scared of The surfer, get on a planet about to be annihilated by Galactus and learns he used to be his herald.

Surfer stands up for the planet, she rallies the planet, give up the planet, and then search for a new world.

I'm kinda mixed on this.  The recent Surfer stuff was definitely good, and the Doctor Who style woman companion definitely grants a nice story hook for the viewer to engage with...but much like the recent years of Doctor Strange I often felt like it was Surfer in name only. 

It's fine for the the current comics landscape and I would say well-written, but maybe not right for a movie introducing the character to the public at large. 

Mightily Oats

• +76/-581
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
A movie that starts with the life of Norrin Radd, and his people trying countermeasure after countermeasure to stop Galactus and slowly failing, and then ends with his becoming the Silvee Surfer and Galactus banishes Shen-La or whatever and his girl to a part of the universe so he can never find them?

That would be amazing

It'll never happen

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:31:55 AM »

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »
I agree that they should keep the comedy way down for SS, though of course there's room for some fish-out-of-water gags. But to get the essence of the character across, he needs to be carrying massive guilt and be at least somewhat philosophical.

But Vaughn is on it? That's fucking amazing.

I would love a well done Coming of Galactus movie, by the way, now that comic movies are at the level where it could be done.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 07:43:45 PM »
Unlike Superman, Surfer is in fact a true messianic figure, while also be tailor-made for kids to love.  He's shiny and surfs through the fabric of spacetime.  Kids are gonna love him if they get it right. 

Please elaborate how the willing genocidal lackey for the ultimate symbol of Western Imperialism is more of a messianic figure than the Moses allegory.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
..and the newer is some combo of the Lee Kirby, Lee/ Mobius and DeMattheis versions of the origin. Epic Kirby imagery is a must. Also needs an Kirby/Byrne-esque origin of Galactus to boot.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 09:10:34 PM »

I think that run would make a great Netflix series.  Cool, interesting ideas (e.g. the aliens that stole art lol) but a little too all over the place for a 2 hour movie.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 09:31:14 PM »

I think that run would make a great Netflix series.  Cool, interesting ideas (e.g. the aliens that stole art lol) but a little too all over the place for a 2 hour movie.

That would make an awesome Netflix series.