Herochat

Greatest diplomats in history

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
Greatest diplomats in history
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
If this should go in Debate, feel free to move it.

Who are your favorite/who do you think were some of the most able and interesting diplomatic figures in human history? What were their accomplishments that make you rep them here?

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest diplomats in history
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
Genghis Khan extended a practice that changed the world: A new payment transaction system, paper money. This was introduced to the west via Marco Polo and is the primary root to the paper money we have today....
...Marco Polo discovered that Genghis molded his empire through might, force and "the bark of trees". It was the "bark of trees" that single handedly changed the way the west viewed payments and transactions.
That takes some diplomacy right there.
Not even kidding, i saw a special on this once. Khan was a smooth talker when he needed to be.
When ppl were expecting gold, and got paper in return?
He had to convince them to accept the payment, and continue doing business with his empire, not just cutting their losses and getting the hell out of his territory never to return.

you’ll never see me coming...

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
Khan was definitely an able negotiator, yep, and not just for that reason.

Otto von Bismark is probably one of the cliché answers, but deservingly so - created the modern unified nation of Germany through scheming and strategic warring), elevated it to major power status within a tinderbox of imperialist ambitions in a fast-shrinking world and still skillfully avoided setting off any wars. All in a single generation.

The more I learn about French Cardinal Richelieu during the 30 Years War era, the more it becomes clear he belongs in the discussion, he was playing everybody against each other for France's benefit. That France was a Catholic country that wound up making its key alliances with Protestant powers against Catholic Spain and & Holy Roman Empire nods to the level of skill he needed, just for starters.

Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor in the 13th Century, is a favorite of mine from that era for beefing with the papacy, being a multi-culturalist, avoiding dogmatism, and his ill moves of diplomacy. I don't know if he could count overall or not because his conflict with the church did him a lot of harm, but he absolutely went (while excommunicated from the Church), ignored calls for a violent crusade, and negotiated a peaceful return of Jersualem from the Sultan like a boss.

Ben Franklin's work bringing France into the American Revolution was pretty slick, too.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
Wow, all great choices, AND i didnt have to Google any of them.

you’ll never see me coming...

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
I came in here to say Otto von Bismarck. His masterful handling of the Ems Dispatch, letting France play right into his hands, was an ingenious move.
Truten forever!

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim. While his first career was that of a military officer, in later life he managed to get Finland through WWII by shrewd diplomacy with both Nazi Germany and the USSR, refusing to commit to either.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

superlurker

• +22/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »
From the 19th century, besides Bismarck, Talleyrand and Metternich were prominent diplomat "heroes". Talleyrand  managed to avoid the worst possible consequences for France after the Napoleonic Wars, and even managed to flip France and Britain into a secret alliance. Metternich managed to keep the peace in Europe for decades.

The Byzantines relied on diplomacy to a great degree in general to stay in business. I guess the two or three first Komnenoi were some of the more prominent practitioners among them. After losing Asia Minor, they managed to recover most of it through a mixture of diplomacy, careful alliances and adept use of force. They also triggered the Crusades this way, which at least in part actually undermined their efforts.

Oh, and Kissinger has done some delightful things.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
Oh, and Kissinger has done some delightful things.

Am I not getting your online sarcasm?