Re: MARVEL relaunch...again!
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
Sentry

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
Other then the obvious ones: Justice, storm, firestar, namor, squirrel girl are also mutants that we’re on the team

Is Sam Wilson/falcon a mutant?

Was this a response to me? Because, Firestar, Namor, and Storm were all X-Men, Squirrel Girl has been retconned into not being a mutant just a human mutate,  leaving Justice as the only mutant Avenger who isn't affiliated with the X-Men.

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
Naaa wasn’t directed at you. Just general comment about avengers and the X-Men

Didn’t know the retcon with squirrel girl though

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
one thing to have some mutants on the Avengers, but it's another to make a big deal about it and be explicitly pro-mutant, anti-bigotry. Especially with Havok leading the team and Cap publicly ceding leadership.

I can easily see some of the MU's citizens--those whose bigotry is fueled not by outright hate but by ignorance and stupidity--being swayed. "Well, if Captain America says mutants are all right, they can't be that bad."
Not being a dick, but i wondered, as i read your post, how that scenario would play out if it were an all black team?

As a black guy, i'd rather just be on the main team, no big deal made of it.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
Sorry, I thought the Unity team was like half mutant and half non mutant, to show they could get along? Led by Havok? Didn't that happen a few years ago?
Truten forever!

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
No idea, just what it made me think of.
How some things are fine, depending on who's being singled out.
Like that TV TROPE that says rape is ok/funny as long as its female on male not the other way around in movies.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Regar

• +24/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »
Thank God the age of stupidity is over .... and the real heroes are coming back.

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »
one thing to have some mutants on the Avengers, but it's another to make a big deal about it and be explicitly pro-mutant, anti-bigotry. Especially with Havok leading the team and Cap publicly ceding leadership.

I can easily see some of the MU's citizens--those whose bigotry is fueled not by outright hate but by ignorance and stupidity--being swayed. "Well, if Captain America says mutants are all right, they can't be that bad."
Not being a dick, but i wondered, as i read your post, how that scenario would play out if it were an all black team?

That is pretty much the the current Ultimates. Black Panther, Blue Marvel, Spectrum, Miss America, Captain Marvel, and Galactus. And, though the list screams diversity for diversity sake, they were put together for specific purpose outside of race that they all fit well to contribute to.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
Agreed, for those reasons they dont fit what i was talking about.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »

That is pretty much the the current Ultimates. Black Panther, Blue Marvel, Spectrum, Miss America, Captain Marvel, and Galactus. And, though the list screams diversity for diversity sake, they were put together for specific purpose outside of race that they all fit well to contribute to.

mighty avengers had blue marvel, blade/ronin, spectrum, cage, power man II, falcon and then randomly she Hulk and White Tiger (Ava Ayala) which actually was pretty decent

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »
Were they put together in-universe, specifically to be a black team?
With Cap (or whoever would be in his spot) publicly ceding leadership, like Thanos6 was saying,

"Well, if Captain America says mutants are all right, they can't be that bad."

but replacing mutants w. black ppl.
Thats the situation i was referring to not going over well with readers/SJWs etc.
It was just a thought that popped in my head as i read his post.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:21 AM »
Were they put together in-universe, specifically to be a black team?
With Cap (or whoever would be in his spot) publicly ceding leadership, like Thanos6 was saying,

"Well, if Captain America says mutants are all right, they can't be that bad."

but replacing mutants w. black ppl.
Thats the situation i was referring to not going over well with readers/SJWs etc.
It was just a thought that popped in my head as i read his post.

I'm not saying that's something Cap SHOULD do.
I'm saying that (I think) it's something Cap HAS done, with the Havok-led team a few years back. And I think that's pretty much the reason why.

I'm not advocating it, I'm just stating what I remember the reason being.
Truten forever!

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »
nononono, i'm not laying -anything- on you, man, your post just got that scenario in my head is all, and i thought it would be interesting to see how that would go over, instead of mutants.
I mean, it would basically be the same thing, but i'm pretty sure it wouldnt be treated that way!

Plus, as a mutant, which i'm not, or a black guy, which i am, i dont think i'd appreciate this offer, even coming from Cap, who i totally love.

Cap: We want you to be an Avenger.
Me: Awesome! It'll be an honor to work w. you.
Cap: Well, you wont be working w. me.
See, you'll be part of a -special- team.
Me: Special?
Cap: Yes, a segregated an all mutant team, to show the public how you're just like everyone else.
Me: By singling us out.
Cap: Exactly! Of course not!
This way we have you all in one place you can develop your own team dynamic.
Me: So we wouldnt work with any actual Avengers?
Cap: Well, there might be one or two white ppl Avengers on your team we dont care too much about trust to help you learn the ropes.
Your main job, other than fighting crime, will be to build good relations, though.
Me: Like the Harlem Globetrotters. 
Cap: Exactly! Of course not!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:57:19 AM by Riv1 »

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

80sBaby

• +31/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
In Marvel, black people aren't persecuted like mutants so there'd be no reason for a team to be explicitly formed for the same reason.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Cool.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017