Herochat

Thanos depictions post Infinity War

TURBODERP

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
Thanos depictions post Infinity War
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
Infinity War's depiction of Thanos is very good IMO, in that it actually makes him a fleshed out character. Is Thanos doing monstrous things? Of course! But it's not RAGH RAGH I LIKE TO KILL AND MURDER FOR FUN/BECAUSE I LOVE DEATH (even though that whole storyline/character arc had been wrapped up by Giffen fantastically by the end of Annihilation), which has been the depiction of Thanos since Thanos Imperative onwards.

But with the popularity of Infinity War and the positive reception this depiction of Thanos is getting, do you think there will be a push back towards some of the older depictions of Thanos (Giffen being the big one, and DnA to a lesser degree)? Do you think this SHOULD happen, or is the Hickman/Bendis "I LIKE TO HAVE KIDS AND KILL THEM BECAUSE I LIKE DEATH" Thanos still going to be the default?

Hulkster

• +12/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Thanos depictions post Infinity War
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:12:37 PM »
Infinity War's depiction of Thanos is very good IMO, in that it actually makes him a fleshed out character. Is Thanos doing monstrous things? Of course! But it's not RAGH RAGH I LIKE TO KILL AND MURDER FOR FUN/BECAUSE I LOVE DEATH (even though that whole storyline/character arc had been wrapped up by Giffen fantastically by the end of Annihilation), which has been the depiction of Thanos since Thanos Imperative onwards.

But with the popularity of Infinity War and the positive reception this depiction of Thanos is getting, do you think there will be a push back towards some of the older depictions of Thanos (Giffen being the big one, and DnA to a lesser degree)? Do you think this SHOULD happen, or is the Hickman/Bendis "I LIKE TO HAVE KIDS AND KILL THEM BECAUSE I LIKE DEATH" Thanos still going to be the default?

Interestingly, this fleshed out character is what Starlin has been trying to create since IG.  That’s one of the big reasons for his multiple retcons.

Uhtceare

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
 Eh, if I know Marvel, they will clumsily incorporate some utterly superficial elements of the movies, while continuing the same stuff they've been doing lately. So expect something along the lines of the weaker Ra's Al Ghul stories. Thanos will spout a few lines that basically establish him as an eco-terrorist, and the writing will be otherwise simplistic hackwork.

Marvel has simply lost the knack for writing good villains. They've long since replaced them with demonized versions of heroes, where you don't have to do the work to make them compelling. You just rely on people accepting that their previous history as heroes makes them compelling, and then have them do bland villain stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:33:57 PM by Uhtceare »

TURBODERP

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »

Interestingly, this fleshed out character is what Starlin has been trying to create since IG.  That’s one of the big reasons for his multiple retcons.

It makes sense too. Just reverting the character back to the same old "I LIKE TO KILL LOTS OF STUFF" thing is pretty garbage writing.

Then again, comics has become "ignore what previous writer has done in terms of character arc/story arcs unless it does not inconvenience my own personal story I want to write"