Herochat

King Thanos vs Superman

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
Re: King Thanos vs Superman
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 11:56:56 PM »
LOL. Yeah because SD thinks Superman is a solar panel.

Maybe he can split himself into 1000 pieces with each being still the same power output.

He is wrong also about solar panels being equal in even if you cut them in sizes:

"The more solar cells working in tandem, the more power they’ll create. That’s why the size of the panel matters if you’re trying to calculate how much electricity a panel makes."

https://solarpowerrocks.com/solar-basics/how-much-electricity-does-a-solar-panel-produce/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:00:21 AM by Commander »

Abhilegend

• +23/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:29 AM »
Shuruku is a Thorbag , what else did you expect?

The Shuruku Demon

• +22/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:58 AM »
Superman is not only a solar battery. He has has absorbed electricity as well to turn himself into an EM charged conduit.

Is that relevant to the point, or just an academic addendum?

Besides, now we are using objects as superhero references? Btw, your analogy is terrible. Superman is a solar panel? LMAO!

Well, he's like a solar panel attached to a battery, in the way that he collects and stores solar power. If you want to get nitpicky, you could argue that splitting the currently stored power in two should make the two new Supermen weaker, but that's the sort of thing that writers are just as likely to ignore as acknowledge, depending on whatever's convenient to the current plotline. Ultimately, Superman's power level always tends to stabilise back at a given level (whatever level the writers are comfortable with), no matter how much or how little power he's used in recent stories.

Except Superman was stated to be weaker in the split state.

Fair enough. Is he really supposed to be twice as powerful now as a consistent thing though? I have a hard time believing he's going to be written that way, given the kind of feats that Nu52 Supes was pulling off. It'd totally destroy any sense of a character like Wonder Woman being remotely near him in strength. He was already comfortably stronger than her before, right? Double his strength from there, and she might as well be a toddler next to him. I can't see that as a lasting status quo.

The Shuruku Demon

• +22/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:01 AM »

Maybe he can split himself into 1000 pieces with each being still the same power output.

He is wrong also about solar panels being equal in even if you cut them in sizes:

"The more solar cells working in tandem, the more power they’ll create. That’s why the size of the panel matters if you’re trying to calculate how much electricity a panel makes."

https://solarpowerrocks.com/solar-basics/how-much-electricity-does-a-solar-panel-produce/

I think you misunderstood the analogy. I proposed what would apply if you could magically split a solar panel into two equally large panels. "Equally large" meaning, equal in size to the original, that is. Superman wasn't split into two half-sized Supermen, was he?

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 12:29:14 AM »
What if Thanos gets his armor and The Twilight sword he wields, closer fight?

Red Exodus

• +10/-20
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:37 AM »
Superman loses even faster than standard Thanos.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 04:53:10 AM »

I think you misunderstood the analogy. I proposed what would apply if you could magically split a solar panel into two equally large panels. "Equally large" meaning, equal in size to the original, that is. Superman wasn't split into two half-sized Supermen, was he?

Sure that will work. Same panel size but half the silicon crystals content for both enlarged panels.

Anyway, writing Superman 2x powerful compared to his nu52 self makes for almost no story to write. It's like having a Zeus series that ends in 6 issues or less else, he would have no challengers. So writers must write Superman based on existing paradigms to give him a story and challenge.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:02:34 AM by Commander »

Abhilegend

• +23/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:20 AM »
Superman is not only a solar battery. He has has absorbed electricity as well to turn himself into an EM charged conduit.

Besides, now we are using objects as superhero references? Btw, your analogy is terrible. Superman is a solar panel? LMAO!

Well, he's like a solar panel attached to a battery, in the way that he collects and stores solar power. If you want to get nitpicky, you could argue that splitting the currently stored power in two should make the two new Supermen weaker, but that's the sort of thing that writers are just as likely to ignore as acknowledge, depending on whatever's convenient to the current plotline. Ultimately, Superman's power level always tends to stabilise back at a given level (whatever level the writers are comfortable with), no matter how much or how little power he's used in recent stories.

Fair enough. Is he really supposed to be twice as powerful now as a consistent thing though? I have a hard time believing he's going to be written that way, given the kind of feats that Nu52 Supes was pulling off. It'd totally destroy any sense of a character like Wonder Woman being remotely near him in strength. He was already comfortably stronger than her before, right? Double his strength from there, and she might as well be a toddler next to him. I can't see that as a lasting status quo.
It wasn't stated that they were half as strong as the unified Superman.

And he is already shown more powerful than post crisis or new 52 Superman.

Just a few months ago he proved to be so fast, he can run back in time under his own power, but he needed the cosmic treadmill for precision. That is
much faster than any previous version baring pre-Crisis.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11133/111332122/6156399-7690176452-Actio.jpg
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11133/111332122/6156400-0253199085-Actio.jpg

Post crisis Superman was never so fast.

Insane Titan

• +5/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:02 AM »
King Thanos annihilates Superman.

shadowknight

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
The problem with debating SM is there's been so many writers and so many interpretation of SM power lvl, you can easily find examples to support anything from SM being slightly stronger than Thor to SM being a Nexus being. Having said that a careful reading of SM without any bias pro or con will noticed N52 was more consistently more  powerful than the post crisis SM. Nevertheless I don't see SM as 2X as powerful now they're merge, but I do see a gradual powercreep since the incident. It's to judge SM power lvl since he tends to  hold back so much and unlike Marvel were heroes are constantly fighting each other this rarely happens in DC. So it's hard to judge how much his STR or Durability has changed unless you see him fighting WW, Orion or CM and compare against his former showings.

Panthergod

• +41/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
The problem with debating SM is there's been so many writers and so many interpretation of SM power lvl, you can easily find examples to support anything from SM being slightly stronger than Thor to SM being a Nexus being. Having said that a careful reading of SM without any bias pro or con will noticed N52 was more consistently more  powerful than the post crisis SM. Nevertheless I don't see SM as 2X as powerful now they're merge, but I do see a gradual powercreep since the incident. It's to judge SM power lvl since he tends to  hold back so much and unlike Marvel were heroes are constantly fighting each other this rarely happens in DC. So it's hard to judge how much his STR or Durability has changed unless you see him fighting WW, Orion or CM and compare against his former showings.

The difference between Pre and Post Flashpoint Supes, as with Earth 2 /Post Crisis, is mindset. It took Nu52 Superman much. Less time  tap into his potential.

shadowknight

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »

The difference between Pre and Post Flashpoint Supes, as with Earth 2 /Post Crisis, is mindset. It took Nu52 Superman much. Less time  tap into his potential.
While there's some truth to that statement. But there's also the fact that Post Crisis had some great showings and some lesser showings depending on the writer or plot. By most standards N52 had consistently higher showings throughout his 6+ yrs but Post Crisis SM had higher highs.

fangirl101

• +36/-57
  • Didn't see Wonder Woman yet so no spoilers BITCHES
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »

Except she got 3 on panel upgrades. Which stuck. Would you like me to be a dear and post them for you?

Panthergod

• +41/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »

Except she got 3 on panel upgrades. Which stuck. Would you like me to be a dear and post them for you?

He knows full well. He's just doing that thing where He pretends his Marvel/Early Post Crisis Biased head canon trumps actual on panel portrayals again.

Hulkster

• +12/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
So current Superman is two-in-one Supes?  That might be a fair fight against an uber-Thanos.

The splitting and merger didn't involve halfing and restoring power.  His timeline was manipulated to create two different ones for him.  The timelines were merged in Reborn.  We don't know when the splitting happens but it has not been declared to have happened post Crisis. 

Thanos mudstomps.