Herochat

John Mahoney, RIP

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
John Mahoney, RIP
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:56:21 PM »
Best known for playing Frasier and Niles's dad, Martin.

He was 77.
Truten forever!

XerxesTWD

• +92/-25
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: John Mahoney, RIP
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »
Aww

HalloweenJack

• +31/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
wow, he was younger than I would've expected

AP

• +100/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Ah, that sucks.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 12:21:14 AM »
I was just thinking of him the other day.

RIP

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 05:14:08 AM »
yeah, that's too bad. He was a hell of an actor. Played a pretty tough role on that show- sort of a canny, streetwise guy who was an "everyday beer-drinking sports man" but had to maintain a mental edge over his genius sons.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:37:06 AM »
^^^perfect example of that was him beating Frasier at chess for a whole ep. and Frasier not being able to accept it.
He finally broke it down for his son saying he'd been a cop X amount of years, thinking several moves ahead, seeing patterns, etc.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Gree

• +40/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »

He looked in his 70's on Frasier

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »
He was grizzled, plus the cane and limp added to the effect.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

HalloweenJack

• +31/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »

He looked in his 70's on Frasier

exactly

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »
There's one episode I can never bring myself to re-watch. It's from one of the last couple of seasons, a Halloween episode, and for the family party everyone dresses up as their personal hero.  Niles dresses up and acts as his dad, drinking Ballentine as part of the costume, and as he's not used to beer he gets pretty tipsy as the episode continues.

The conversation turns to something you consider embarrassing, and Niles-as-Martin does a lead-up to his, and it becomes obvious he's going to say "my sons." Martin cuts him off, saying that while he doesn't always get along with or understand Frasier and Niles, he's always been proud of them, and he doesn't like seeing himself portrayed as a "drunken jackass," then storms angrily out of the room.

The problem is, David Hyde-Pierce and John Mahoney's acting is so damned good, it goes from "funny to watch" to "painful to watch."
Truten forever!

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
Seen that ep. a few times (like most of the series), and you're right, their scting is superb.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 12:47:33 AM »
RIP

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »
There's one episode I can never bring myself to re-watch. It's from one of the last couple of seasons, a Halloween episode, and for the family party everyone dresses up as their personal hero.  Niles dresses up and acts as his dad, drinking Ballentine as part of the costume, and as he's not used to beer he gets pretty tipsy as the episode continues.

The conversation turns to something you consider embarrassing, and Niles-as-Martin does a lead-up to his, and it becomes obvious he's going to say "my sons." Martin cuts him off, saying that while he doesn't always get along with or understand Frasier and Niles, he's always been proud of them, and he doesn't like seeing himself portrayed as a "drunken jackass," then storms angrily out of the room.

The problem is, David Hyde-Pierce and John Mahoney's acting is so damned good, it goes from "funny to watch" to "painful to watch."
Yeah, that's one of my favorite bits of TV ever. You can TELL that Niles sort of thinks that this is how Martin sees them, and Mahoney's acting so clearly indicates that Martin recognizes this, and is equally hurt by it. It stings on both ends, because it's a little bit true.

It's especially powerful because Niles had spent most of the episode kissing Martin's ass and teasing Frasier ("NILES!" "What? My name isn't Niles?" "Alright... DAD!" "What? I'm not FREUD'S DAD!"). So he goes from sucking up and talking shit to sort of letting something slip he shouldn't have.

Also, this bit, when Frasier disses the broken-down chair:

"Okay, I'll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the Moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights, when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. Y'know I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:44:05 AM by Jabroniville »

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »

Yeah, that's one of my favorite bits of TV ever. You can TELL that Niles sort of thinks that this is how Martin sees them, and Mahoney's acting so clearly indicates that Martin recognizes this, and is equally hurt by it. It stings on both ends, because it's a little bit true.

It's especially powerful because Niles had spent most of the episode kissing Martin's ass and teasing Frasier ("NILES!" "What? My name isn't Niles?" "Alright... DAD!" "What? I'm not FREUD'S DAD!"). So he goes from sucking up and talking shit to sort of letting something slip he shouldn't have.

Also, this bit, when Frasier disses the broken-down chair:

"Okay, I'll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the Moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights, when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. Y'know I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair."

FRASIER was such a damned good show. It could make you laugh your ass off one minute and cry your eyes out the next.

I think my favorite episode might be the one with the disastrous radio play.
Truten forever!