Herochat

Altered Carbon

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
Altered Carbon
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
First season on Netflix.

I'm surprised no one's talking about this sci fi series.

Nice, bleak Blade Runneresque future. Decent action/violent scenes reminiscent of Netflix Daredevil.

Basic premise is that your memories/personalities/soul are stored in a Stack (computer disc chip thing) inserted into the spine...so if your body is critically injured or old or diseased, your Stack can be placed into a healthier body called a Sleeve. And depending on how rich or poor you are determines on whether you get to choose what "new" body you get. So for example, if your daughter is killed but you only have a basic life insurance for her, her stack may be implanted into a healthy middle aged man's body (who for whatever reason has had his body forfeited.) There's a funny scene where a dead grand mother's stack is inserted into a big, tattooed, hairy biker's body just so that her family can enjoy her company on Dia de Muertos.

Obviously not a new concept but the show relies heavily on characters being able to constantly download their stacks into other bodies to survive.
However, IMO this is also probably the only flaw in the series...characters are constantly being duped or act surprised when they realise their antagonist has used a "familiar" Sleeve to deceive them.

Still, interesting storyline, very graphic violence, boobies & some cool fight scenes. 7/10 for a Netflix series.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Altered Carbon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
I've only watched the first ep so far and really like it.  Was to lazy to make a thread and was hoping someone else would eventually.

MTL76

• +1135/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
I watched the first episode and started the second and found it pretty dull. None of the primary actors seemed to have much charisma except for (and this is a big exception) the always excellent James Purefoy. Martha Higareda is hot as fuck, though. I’ll probably watch it anyway as a show to keep on while working out.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »
None of the primary actors seemed to have much charisma

Yeah it took at least 3 episodes for Joel Kinnaman's character, Kovacs to grow on me.

His wooden acting was annoying but he really seemed to relax into his role & be more convincing as the episodes progress.

Uhtceare

• +19/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
Dichen Lachman seems to make a career out of playing corrupted immortals. Altered Carbon, Being Human, Agents of SHIELD, she's the same character in all three more or less. Maybe because she has kind of a 30's Dragon Lady look to her.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:27:36 PM by Uhtceare »

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:30:05 AM »
I'm only familiar with Dichen from Dollhouse.

So I kinda got a shock where she & all her clones take turns fighting naked.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:31:38 AM »
I'm seriously surprised this show has come under the radar.

There was a huge publicity push here in Australia...billboards, bus shelter posters & even ads for it on free tv.

I honestly can't recall any other Netflix show that's received so much publicity.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:36:37 AM »
They did the same for Stranger Things season 2.

MTL76

• +1135/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »
I’m just finished the flashback training scene/current day torture scene episode and I think I’m pulling the pin on this. Too bad because Dichen Lachman is pretty hot. But this show is just tough to watch. Bad acting, bad dialogue, not an interesting story...

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
I've only watched the first ep and half of the second but I like what I see.  The whole AI's having a virtual life of there own and some even having contempt for humans is interesting.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:34 AM »
The Flashback sequences are more entertaining/interesting than the present progressive story.

The main character is just dull. Joel K just doesn't fit the type.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
The whole AI's having a virtual life of there own and some even having contempt for humans is interesting.

Definitely not a new concept but this show definitely reflects on a future where body/mind swapping is so feasible, it's literally taken for granted.

But that's what also annoyed me about the series...everybody kept acting surprised & in disbelief whenever they got conned by their adversary swapping bodies.

The Flashback sequences are more entertaining/interesting than the present progressive story.

The main character is just dull. Joel K just doesn't fit the type.

It's around episode 3 or 4 when Joel K's acting improves & he seems to finally grasp the character he's playing.
Plus you get some episodes towards the end with insights into his original Asian form & the love/hate bond with his sister.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:25 AM »
That's fair, and really, the technological conceits alone, are enough to convince me to finish the show.

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »
It’s worth watching just to see Martha Cervantes in all her glory. That tub scene. Daaaaaamn

Actually some very interesting concepts, effects and world building are good, some good characters too. But overall story and main actor were pretty bland and lots of characters I didn’t care about. Actually wish they kept the Asian actor as the lead as he showed way more emotion then stone face mcgee. Didn’t even seem like they were the same character

Surprised evil recruit soldier didn’t reappear in “present time” and the aliens looked like an ostritch

Overall give it a 6/10. I’ll check out season 2 though (if it gets announced)

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 10:51:06 PM »

Overall give it a 6/10. I’ll check out season 2 though (if it gets announced)

I just thought it was a 10 part story.

I honestly can't see the same characters (obviously those alive) recurring into another plot.