Herochat

Modern Comics: Marvel and DC

ultrabender

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
Modern Comics: Marvel and DC
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »
This is the era thats been called the return of the Dark Age of these two big comic book companies. Often panned for the recent new characters, storylines, themes. Do they have a chance to fix their reputation in the future?. Everyone has been unhappy how most of the comics been suffering. Some say only a handful were good but everything else is very bad.

Will Marvel and DC comics learn from these mistakes or just continue with the lackluster writing?.

Riv1

• +35/-871
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Comics: Marvel and DC
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:03:51 AM »
Depends who you ask.
I mean, i've been reading comics since 1974, and the big two got bad enough for me to stop collecting for what, 4 years?
I've just gotten back into it (thanks, Nick), and even now, the big two make up only a fraction if what i'm picking up.
There are just a lot better/more innovative/less baggage heavy books being put published by smaller companies.   

AP

• +70/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:50:07 AM »
I think it will take a lot to sink either ship.

Riv1

• +35/-871
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:32 AM »
Well yeah beither's going to sink, thats for sure, but providing quality comics is a whole other matter.

Whiskeyclone

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
I was actually just thinking about how their plummet in quality has led to the slow grinding death of the comic aspects of this site. Those were the main suppliers of stuff we talked about, especially in ICT & its predecessors, but I haven't actively read any of their books since early in Aaron's Dr Strange run (not even saying that was necessarily the last I was collecting, but I remember that being something new that I tried around the time that I gave up). I've borrowed trades from the library and picked up the odd book here to try to give things a try but nothing has done much to wow me.

I guess anything could improve - some hot new writing talent, new editor or mandate...but I'm not optimistic and don't follow the industry enough right now to even be aware of things moving in a good direction.

Riv1

• +35/-871
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
I think its just at a steady 'meh'.
DC's better than Marvel, but not by much from what can tell.

XerxesTWD

• +63/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
At this point, a majority of the medium is basically just a farm for movie and TV ideas.

Riv1

• +35/-871
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Well thats a whole different subject.

MTL76

• +1116/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
Out of DC, I'm reading Priest's JLA and Deathstroke, and King's Batman and Mister Miracle (which is a limited series.)

For Marvel, it's only Ennis's current Punisher MAX, which is also a mini.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Rufio

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
I haven't been able to get into Marvel/DC for several years now. I pay attention by lurking here, but really nothing has caught my eye in awhile. My favorite character is Spider-Man, but I haven't even been able to read his series since JMS, Jenkins, and Millar left.

At Marvel especially, the degree of lazy writing, loose continuity, and extremist identity politics is especially annoying. Basically, all of the uninformed idiocy that used to be confined to CBR now appears to be part of mainstream Marvel. Hopefully, the recent book cancellings are the beginning of a change on that end.

I do plan to pick up Mr. Miracle once it's out in paperback format.

ultrabender

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
Everyones not really happy how Marvel and DC comics keep making new bland characters that are uninteresting.