Herochat

Re-Reading Invincible

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
Re-Reading Invincible
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:26:14 AM »
Since the series is finally ending in a month or two, I've been going over the old trades, starting from the beginning. It's bizarre how much different the comic used to be.

-The Early Trades are interesting- for the first eight issues, the book functions as more or less a Generic Teen Hero Book. And truthfully it was well-written enough, with an interesting enough world created, that they could have just kept going like that. Some early knock-off characters like The Elephant and The Lizard League spring up. Already the Mauler Twins, Titan and others are set up as total jobbers. A Justice League pastiche team is introduced, given two pages each, and then mercilessly killed- fans would be bugging the creative team for bios on these guys for AGES.

Cory Walker, the original artist, has a quirky style that fit fairly well- good costume design, and he draws Mark's parents pretty well- his mom in particular really pulls off that "attractive, but aged" thing, with a curvy figure, but a lot of wrinkles and some funny expressions. Walker does a few too many "Dots for eyes" looks, which is odd because sometimes the characters DO have regular eyes.

Walker soon proves incapable of handling a monthly grind, and is replaced as of Invincible #8 by Ryan Ottley, who starts out a bit Walker-ish, but very quickly molds it into his own style, and you can start to recognize him, though his style was more clumsy back in the day, with some goofy expressions here and there.

The Early Years provide some interesting things- Invincible & Atom Eve have a friendly partnership going, and of course EVERYONE started shipping them immediately. Mark's best friend William is a big part of the book- essentially appearing in almost all of the "Mark" scenes. Mark's girlfriend Amber pops up, and the fans turned on that character SO fast ("Die For Our Relationship" ain't just a thing for anime-watching nerdy girls, folks!).

Invincible, Trade 5: "I decided to build up Mark's Rogues Gallery!" (jobs out Magmaniac, Magnattack, Blastfurnace & Kursk in seconds). He has two foes in five trades that can't be one-punched.

And then there's Cecil and his five-page expository infodumps, explaining new status quos. Like, for no reason other than to make the world know everything that went down, the recording of the big fight is leaked. And he does this REPEATEDLY.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:32:12 AM by Jabroniville »

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
Re: Re-Reading Invincible
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:13:42 AM »
Nice synopsis.
I can remember picking up the first issue of this book, then a few after, and liking it.
Pretty sure i deployed and simply forgot to add it to my pull list, and never got back around to it. By the time i started hearing good things i just didnt want to make the effort to catch up.
Maybe now thats its wrapped up is a good time though.

Wealth & Fame he ignores, breaking scourge, is his reward. Look out!

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:26:33 AM »
So which one does he get not-raped in?

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 06:52:56 AM »
110 i believe.

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:03:24 AM »
That issue didn't make me cum. Not once.

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:23:03 AM »
That issue didn't make me cum. Not once.
So multiple times then. Same.

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
Not even a little bit surprising that your lengthiest critique of the art revolved around how someone drew an attractive, middle aged woman

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
Not even a little bit surprising that your lengthiest critique of the art revolved around how someone drew an attractive, middle aged woman
Hey, I kept it down to one sentence, damn you!

So multiple times then. Same.
Got it in one.

I still find it funny they tried to write a serious, horrific rape scene by drawing Anissa RAPING HIM INTO A CRATER because of her super-strength.

Never mind that they totally just went "oh yeah, but don't blame her anymore- she's different now" right at the end, trying to absolve her through introspection that took place OFF-PANEL.

This becomes more of a recurring thing later on, as you can see Kirkman just drop shit he doesn't care about anymore.

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:54:38 AM »
Or writing himself into a corner and clumsily changing it

MTL76

• +1136/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
The way he dropped the rape storyline made me think he was uncomfortable with it, and just wanted it to go away.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 05:44:14 PM »
The way he dropped the rape storyline made me think he was uncomfortable with it, and just wanted it to go away.
If only it were that easy for women who have been raped IRL.

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »
I also like how the most recent issues show Mark doing a complete 180 on Robot ruling the Earth and everyone just going along with it. And then Robot himself is like "no, I agree - it's better this way". Like, huh?

Never mind that Mark's solution is ALWAYS punching.

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
TBF, a lot of life's problems can be solved by punching those who need it.

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »
Really, the comic is just FULL of infodumps- Nolan explaining the "World Betterment Committee" to his young son. Nolan revealing the TRUTH behind the Viltrumites to Mark. Cecil explaining his purpose to Mark, and his guilt at the revelation that Nolan is evil. Cecil explaining that someone leaked Nolan & Mark's conversation to the public. Nolan explaining his personality to Mark on his new home planet. It's a testament to Ryan Ottley's skill that this remains interesting, as many issues devolve into talking heads, but rather than be Bendis-style (ie. xeroxing pages), the heads are always changing, making different expressions, reacting in unique ways... Ottley does the best with it.

You really see Ottley's talent in the early days with this. Several issues are JUST TALKING, and he keeps them interesting. Few artists are better with expressions. It helps that he's a bit cartoonish (especially with people sticking their lips out when emoting).

Mark going to his father's new planet and meeting the bug people, then THREE VILTRUMITES SHOWING UP, is one of those huge, game-changing moments that even felt big at the time. Mark, usually so powerful than Earth enemies are jokes, is EASILY defeated, and Omni-Man is crippled fighting them off. Naturally, InfoDump Exposition is the rule.

Rick Sheridan feels like he's missing for an eternity, even on a quick re-read. William brings it up repeatedly, but Mark is always too busy- then it's dealt with in one issue, and the villain goes unpunished. William actually starts getting worse and worse as a character- like his immaturity and annoying tendencies are ramped up- he used to just be the "Jughead" to Mark's "Archie", but lately he's just been a whiny pest. Mark's attempts at college... feel like they really went nowhere. I think Kirkman just got bored with the idea, or just wanted Mark to live away from his mom for a while, showing him "growing up". Because it seriously almost never appears, and then Mark finally just gives up on it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:03:53 AM by Jabroniville »

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 05:39:03 AM »

Some stuff goes off the rails in a hurry. I find it hilarious that Mark & Amber finally take their relationship to the next level, convess their love for each other... and then he has to bail repeatedly to save the universe, and she's heartbroken. Then after only a couple of trades, they break up having only had a few "moments". And then we only see her one more time. It's very odd.

It's VERY WEIRD reading the early Invincibles, because you see stuff like Amber, Debbie's drinking problem, Art the costume guy, William... and they all just disappear.

Allen the Alien surviving his beating and then immediately powering up past Viltrumite levels is a hilarious All-Pull. You can just feel Kirkman going "Ah shit, I made them too strong for any of the heroes to beat. Time to change it up!"

The art actually takes a bit of a dive in the late 40s & early 50s- I think Ottley is just overworked and the inkers are finding their way. And Oliver debuts as "Kid Omni-Man"... and immediately executes the Mauler Twins. Yes, these enemies of Mark since the early days, with their goofy "Who is the original?" concept, and endless schemes in the backgrounds, are ignominiously wiped out as if they never mattered. It's sad on one level, but on the other, they were never MAJOR characters, and not a threat to Mark unless there were dozens of them.

Oliver being potentially evil with his cavalier attitude towards killing, and his open disgust towards humanity, is very interesting. I can see why some people loved him, while others hated him. It really comes out of nowhere, though- he's an adolescent and suddenly he's got a bad attitude. And I forgot all about Debbie getting a new boyfriend, just when Nolan confesses to missing her. Speaking of stories that basically got solved without ever being explained...