Herochat

Voldemort uses the kill curse on MOS (films only)

Not BAMF

• +6/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Voldemort uses the kill curse on MOS (films only)
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Does the killing curse really not work on various beasts (giants, dragons, etc)? I honestly don't recall that from the books, but that's likely because I just forgot. Where is that mentioned?

If that's true, then Superman tanks it.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
Does the killing curse really not work on various beasts (giants, dragons, etc)? I honestly don't recall that from the books, but that's likely because I just forgot. Where is that mentioned?

Nothing like that is said or implied in the books

We know that dragons and giants and probably other things are naturally resistant to magic, but there's no way of knowing if that's true of an instant death curse cast by one of the most powerful wizards who ever lived

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
Every notice Quan always makes a "films only" stipulation for his topics? We are 100% sure he's functionally illiterate.

Quan_the_Antagonist

• +1/-4
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »
Every notice Quan always makes a "films only" stipulation for his topics? We are 100% sure he's functionally illiterate.
That isn't the reason but I wouldn't expect a lame-o such as yourself to grasp the reason.  Books aren't visual and are prone to hyperbole.  It muddies the waters in a debate in which the details matter. Now if you need anything else explained pm me ya loser.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
So you're just incapable of debating books. Got it.

Dalek

• +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 10:38:47 PM »

We know that dragons and giants and probably other things are naturally resistant to magic, but there's no way of knowing if that's true of an instant death curse cast by one of the most powerful wizards who ever lived

Am I recalling wrong or are Dragons, Giants and the like mainly resistant to spells that produce a physical effect like stunning spells or fire blasts?

The killing curse is described as doing no physical damage and severing the soul so it should work on them (and Superman) the same as on any normal human.

Not that this matters since this is movies only but I am curious.

TURBODERP

• +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »

Am I recalling wrong or are Dragons, Giants and the like mainly resistant to spells that produce a physical effect like stunning spells or fire blasts?

The killing curse is described as doing no physical damage and severing the soul so it should work on them (and Superman) the same as on any normal human.

Not that this matters since this is movies only but I am curious.

It's unclear and never shown. Dragons/(half) giants are shown to be resistant to all forms of magic at least in part due to their size, so presumably that means you'd need multiple Avadra Kevadras with killing intent from high-level wizards to do the job.

AK also blows up and fizzles against inanimate objects like headstones, it's got very little penetrating power (a suit of armor should block it).