Herochat

Bright

Panthergod

• +37/-74
    • View Profile
Re: Bright
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 01:58:57 AM »
I'm halfway through and it's not the awful movie people are saying. The acting is good. The action is decent, even if it's generic.

It's biggest problem is the lack of world-building. This is a brand new setting, and they do very, very little to flesh it out, instead going for a pretty standard crime story with relatively generic shootouts. Compare it to something like Dredd, which was based around a very simple story, but which oozed character and world-building with every second, and where each action scene was memorable.

I'd rather have a Shadowrun TV show.

The world building is part of the plot reveal. It doesn't use forced exposition and flashbacks Nolan/Snyder Justice League style.

And It's solidly good.

The race allegory is incredibly forced and cheap, but makes sense when you realize that it's  thematic extension of LOTR, which was written by a Tory British imperialist invader of South Africa, as was also blatantly displayed in the Jackson movies.

Red Exodus

• +8/-20
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
I like the idea of fantasy in the modern world setting. Elves being all glamour and rich,
was a nice touch, Orcs, having been the bad guys in a previous war now being the
disenfranchised was also a nice touch. I just wish they did some goddamn world
building, as it could've been really interesting.

Thought it was kinda stupid that Orcs were the "black people" of the film in everything
they did. Really really stupid, even though I got what they were going for. The makeup
for the Orcs was fucking terrible.

Didn't also care that the movie was the same exact thing as every other cop movie.
2 cops who have trouble with each other are forced to work together to uncover a
conspiracy. Fucking boring.

HalloweenJack

• +18/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 07:00:46 AM »
also, the villainess was kinda boring

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
also, the villainess was kinda boring

Pretty shallow for a villain but she was beautiful on screen with some nice action moves.

I didn't realise it was Noomi Rapace until halfway through.

Strangely enough, the only reason I enjoyed this movie was watching it over 3 sittings. Every time I started to lose interest, I turned it off then came back to it later on.

Uhtceare

• +12/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »

Thought it was kinda stupid that Orcs were the "black people" of the film in everything
they did. Really really stupid, even though I got what they were going for.

Not in every respect. The whole being blamed for something some of their ancestors did 2,000 years ago is an allusion to a different minority altogether.

Panthergod

• +37/-74
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »

they did. Really really stupid, even though I got what they were going for.

Not in every respect. The whole being blamed for something some of their ancestors did 2,000 years ago is an allusion to a different minority altogether.
Yep Max Landis and all that. caught that when it was referenced. 'Synagogue of Satan,", etc.

AP

• +64/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
Yeah like most have said they don't do any world building so it hard to understand what there talking about.  Would have been better as a TV series.

Just saw it and this was my thinking.  Maybe it was because I was tired but a lot of it was confusing because they kept referring to this war or that sort of person or whatever and it was hard to keep track of it all since I was just getting used to the setting.  The prophecy stuff really confused me as there seemed to be two or three?  Or maybe it was all one prophecy?  I don't know if it was Ward or Jakoby who was the Dark One and what that even means at this point.  I might need to see it again.

Uhtceare

• +12/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
The Dark One was a Sauron like character from 2,000 years before the present story. A sect of elf terrorists is seeking to bring him back from the dead.

altoon

• +7/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »
And that all we get is exactly what I mean. I need more info.  Also what are the other races?  There like mention of others I think 9.  And one sentence about Dwarves in Miami and I think I saw a scene with a centair but what else?  I had too many questions. I need something like Game of Thrones have on there dvd that gives you a lot of the backstories of the world.

therock

• +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
Really like it.  The slow motion shoot out was great, and the car chase followed

like the banter between the two leads. The elves were pretty bad ass. And showed what I always thought Tolken elves are fucking dicks.

had some flaws. A critic pointed out a good point.  They kind of drop the tape recorder thing. Namely when he could of used it on the cops.  And the it needing 3 magic wands. But that will follow up in the future I guess. Oddly enough Zootopia did the allegories better. But still looking forward to the sequel

Like one quesiton. The Dark Lord seem to be an elf leader, why arent they getting shit on to. Are they just to powerfull the other races just got to put up with their shit.

Uhtceare

• +12/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »

Like one quesiton. The Dark Lord seem to be an elf leader, why arent they getting shit on to. Are they just to powerfull the other races just got to put up with their shit.

Because they are rich and beautiful. Orcs look scary and ugly, and they are mostly poor, so they get shit on.

AP

• +64/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
Really like it.  The slow motion shoot out was great, and the car chase followed

like the banter between the two leads. The elves were pretty bad ass. And showed what I always thought Tolken elves are fucking dicks.

had some flaws. A critic pointed out a good point.  They kind of drop the tape recorder thing. Namely when he could of used it on the cops.  And the it needing 3 magic wands. But that will follow up in the future I guess. Oddly enough Zootopia did the allegories better. But still looking forward to the sequel

Yeah, I did like how they portrayed elves as snobbish assholes.  They always seemed a bit too high and mighty in most fantasies.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
I understand the criticism about the lack of a back story or world building but I think they handled it well with the intro montage of graffiti showing the Orcs’ suffering & injustice.
Kinda like cave paintings....it was enough for me to get a generalised sense of the past.

If anything the whole threat of the Dark Lord coming back was the most superficial aspect of the whole movie...the focus more on the zealous “prophets” than the actual prophecy.

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 11:01:09 PM »
Thought this was quite good actually, good acting all around. Nice effects.

Would’ve benefited from being a 6-8 episode series. Lots of stories to tell

XerxesTWD

• +58/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »
I liked it. It's LOTR 2000 years later.

I'll definitely check out the sequel.