Herochat

What, at core, is wrong with the DCEU?

Snake-eyes

• +6/-7
    • View Profile
Re: What, at core, is wrong with the DCEU?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
What they're doing now is different from Marvel. Marvel is making mostly good with the occasional meh to bad movie, so DC decided to go the other way and make mostly bad movies with the occasional good movie(WW).

Propeus The Fallen

• +20/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:10 AM »
Well, one thing the DC Universe had going for it was they had control of all their characters. Nevermind that now.

1. Too dark. Seriously, you had Batman branding criminals so they get killed in prison and what they did to Superman.

2. The endings suck. I swear, I can't think of a DC movie where I go. That ending was pretty cool. Marvel has some damn awesome endings. A good example is Wonder Woman. I was really liking the movie up until the end--then we get that weenie guy as Ares, bad CG, and a sacrifice that didn't make much sense to me. Seriously, why wasn't the General Ares? Why was he smoking those chemicals? What kind of a dumbass god of war makes an agreement hat actually helps slow the war if not lead to stopping it?

3. The villains. I think Marvel villains get a lot of flack. I think they're all pretty good. I mean c'mon, Loki. DC on the other hand...Yuck. I mean, I remember Zod, but only because of how bad I thought he was.

4. Um, the storylines and dialogue. Seriously, it's just basic stuff here. I didn't like The Dark Kknight. Why? Because every damn character would give five to ten minute speeches every other time they talked! And I think the ending to Wonder Woman could have made sense if they brought up better Diana's god powers (seriously, I thought it was just the bracelets) and maybe have her point out how the only reason war and conflicts continues is because of Ares maniuplations. And when given a chance (the armitage) they do want peace.

Strawman Abridged

• +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »
DC's characters are just TOO COMPLEX HNNNNNNN to adapt for film.

Uhtceare

• +12/-3
    • View Profile

therock

• +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »
Well, one thing the DC Universe had going for it was they had control of all their characters. Nevermind that now.

1. Too dark. Seriously, you had Batman branding criminals so they get killed in prison and what they did to Superman.

2. The endings suck. I swear, I can't think of a DC movie where I go. That ending was pretty cool. Marvel has some damn awesome endings. A good example is Wonder Woman. I was really liking the movie up until the end--then we get that weenie guy as Ares, bad CG, and a sacrifice that didn't make much sense to me. Seriously, why wasn't the General Ares? Why was he smoking those chemicals? What kind of a dumbass god of war makes an agreement hat actually helps slow the war if not lead to stopping it?

3. The villains. I think Marvel villains get a lot of flack. I think they're all pretty good. I mean c'mon, Loki. DC on the other hand...Yuck. I mean, I remember Zod, but only because of how bad I thought he was.

4. Um, the storylines and dialogue. Seriously, it's just basic stuff here. I didn't like The Dark Kknight. Why? Because every damn character would give five to ten minute speeches every other time they talked! And I think the ending to Wonder Woman could have made sense if they brought up better Diana's god powers (seriously, I thought it was just the bracelets) and maybe have her point out how the only reason war and conflicts continues is because of Ares maniuplations. And when given a chance (the armitage) they do want peace.

I dont know other then Loki cant think of a marvel villan in the movie I liked. And that from a lot of movies vs 4. Now Loki basicly a good guy.

the netflix have some really good ones

AP

• +64/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
What about Ego?

Propeus The Fallen

• +20/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 02:26:40 AM »
And Thanos looks like he's going to be awesome.

80sBaby

• +23/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:16 AM »
There's also Stane, Alexander Pierce, WS and Justin Hammer.

therock

• +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
What about Ego?

Ok like ego. He was pretty funny. Thanos could be good as long as they dont pull an ultron and have him to Jokey.

didnt dig hela that much..or stain

therock

• +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
that the one minus with having a tight Ship

It will be consistent. The good parts, and the bad. Hopefully they break away a bit.

Panthergod

• +37/-74
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 03:54:05 AM »
They hired Snyder, who doesnt believe in Superman or DC comics as a concept. Period.

I'm not sure they are the major factor, but I think people are too quickly discounting the impact of intrinsic differences in the source materials. I have a feeling they matter, and perhaps matter a lot.

the intrinsic difference is that DC is about Messianic Utopianism and Marvel is much more cynical by nature, having pioneered the heroes with feet of clay trope. Snyder, being the DC hating edgelord that he is, reversed the traditional difference between the companies MYTHOS because he's an unsophisticated idiot who doesnt comprehend Moore and Miller's deliberate deconstruction of DC in the 80s via Watchmen and DKR.

MovieBob's Really that Bad: Batman v Superman part III - WATCH THIS WHOLE SERIES... IT'S INCREDIBLE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwxDLdXALc#t=18m24s

Watch starting at the 18:24 mark. This is EXACTLY my point above. Snyder DOESN'T BELIEVE in DC, and Superman in particular, as a concept. Period.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 04:57:16 AM »
Someone pointed out that DC's main problem is that their fans already have high expectations & individual notions of how to portray the big 3 (Bats, Supes & WW).
And the fact that both Bats & Supes already have had previous films & incarnations to compare & criticise over.
Even their main villains, The Joker, Luther & Zod have had their various versions on screen.

DC fans become more critical & harder to please with all these different versions of their fav characters.

Whereas Marvel had a slightly easier task by starting their franchise with characters with little or no past screen comparisons. Marvel was in a better position to introduce their characters as they wanted & people accepted them with less critical analysis than their DC counterparts. 

Panthergod

• +37/-74
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:43 AM »
Someone pointed out that DC's main problem is that their fans already have high expectations & individual notions of how to portray the big 3 (Bats, Supes & WW).
And the fact that both Bats & Supes already have had previous films & incarnations to compare & criticise over.
Even their main villains, The Joker, Luther & Zod have had their various versions on screen.

DC fans become more critical & harder to please with all these different versions of their fav characters.

Whereas Marvel had a slightly easier task by starting their franchise with characters with little or no past screen comparisons. Marvel was in a better position to introduce their characters as they wanted & people accepted them with less critical analysis than their DC counterparts. 

Well, that, and Marvel hired peoplewho  actually like their main characters, unlike Snyder.

Insane Titan

• +4/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 06:07:45 AM »
Superman is the main problem. Trying to base the entire movie universe around a boring 1 dimensional character won’t work.

It works in print due to his fans only caring about OMG feats and not the story.