Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - *SPOILERS*
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »

AP

• +91/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »

Exactly!

Plus, she more or less sacrificed herself in that little maneuver.  Rose was the worst.

Rynox

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
Jar-jar > Rose

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:49 PM »
Jar-jar > Rose
THIS!She wasn't nearly as bad

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2018, 06:12:13 AM »
Still don’t know how they survived. They crashed a few feet in front of the first order and did the first order just watch as Finn dragged her back slowly? They would have had to go even around the Kylo/Luke fight
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:20:10 PM by -K-M- »

Master

• +40/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
Still don’t know how they crashed a few feet in front of the first order and did the first order just watch as Finn dragged her back slowly? They would have had to go even around the Kylo/Luke fight

Also how did she catch up with him to t-bone his ship? He seemed to be flying at the max speed for those skimmers. She didn’t spot his suicide run until after she had travelled in the opposite direction a bit.

9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Mightily Oats

• +76/-578
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
Everything but her initial appearance was awful with Rose

XerxesTWD

• +82/-23
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
Still don’t know how they crashed a few feet in front of the first order and did the first order just watch as Finn dragged her back slowly? They would have had to go even around the Kylo/Luke fight

Also how did she catch up with him to t-bone his ship? He seemed to be flying at the max speed for those skimmers. She didn’t spot his suicide run until after she had travelled in the opposite direction a bit.

She was a mechanic. Obviously she modded hers before deployment. CHECKMATE

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
She was a mechanic. Obviously she modded hers before deployment. CHECKMATE

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:14:34 PM by -K-M- »

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »
The movie still crossed the 1B record so I have no doubts about the canning of direct tie-ins for now.

The only gripe I have is placement of too many scenes for Rose. It's like Rian Johnson fell in love with her and decided to make her the major character with Rey and Kylo taking a back seat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Btw, it seems Xerxes is right on how Rose caught up to Finn.

Some pointers as described in Scifi Stack Exchange

1. Finn's ship condition the time the beam hit his craft
2. The pressure of the wave he was facing
3. Rose was a mechanical genius and knew how to push the craft as compared to a janitor Storm Trooper

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 20, 2018, 07:31:12 AM »
I never got the impression arose was an astounding mechanic. Just competent enough for the mission.

Anyway, I read an article where Johnson explains he didn’t see a place to use the Knights of Ren. He could’ve put them in the throne fight, but that would require them all dying and add the complication of Kylo slaughtering his former dark Jedi allies. If Johnson sees the Knights as interchangeable with the Praetorian guards, I’m not sure if his opinion is “really strong guards” or “very mediocre former Jedi students”.

AP

• +91/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 20, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »
I never got the impression arose was an astounding mechanic. Just competent enough for the mission.

Anyway, I read an article where Johnson explains he didn’t see a place to use the Knights of Ren. He could’ve put them in the throne fight, but that would require them all dying and add the complication of Kylo slaughtering his former dark Jedi allies. If Johnson sees the Knights as interchangeable with the Praetorian guards, I’m not sure if his opinion is “really strong guards” or “very mediocre former Jedi students”.

He could have had 2-3 Knights in the throne room so that there would be more alive for the next movie.  That could set things up nicely.

MTL76

• +1121/-15
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »
Watching this now and Ho. Le. Shit. Is it bad.

I'm about thirty minutes in (when Finn meets the crying mechanic - Rose?) and it's barely good enough to keep on as a background distraction during exercise. So far it's been:

-BORING generic space battle that really makes no sense other than show how lame the First Order ships are.

-Generic Sith pep talk. "I sensed great power in you." Blah.

-Luke being a giant pussy.

-Leia looking like she's used every last bit of Botox in the galaxy and speaking with marbles in her mouth.

-Blando replacement Leia with the dumbest look in the whole series. Star Wars has had some of the most memorable costumes and looks in sci-fi over the years. Now we get purple hair.

All delivered as if its being read from a screenplay. I feel bad for dedicated fans of the franchise. Kylo Ren is the only one who's shown anything that resembles human emotion.

---

EDIT: Also, I thought the Rebellion won the war? Why is the battered remnant of the Empire, the First Order, is hunting down the Resistance, which is supposed to be the expeditionary branch of the victorious and presumably much stronger New Republic? It's just a rehash of the original trilogy. They should have made the First Order the desperate, inventive guerrilla army, and the New Republic/Resistance the bloated, inefficient but more powerful superpower. It would have been a nice inversion.

I feel like every time this movie had the choice between doing something novel and unexpected, or something predictable and repetitive, they went with the latter.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:31:44 PM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Rynox

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »

EDIT: Also, I thought the Rebellion won the war? Why is the battered remnant of the Empire, the First Order, is hunting down the Resistance, which is supposed to be the expeditionary branch of the victorious and presumably much stronger New Republic? It's just a rehash of the original trilogy. They should have made the First Order the desperate, inventive guerrilla army, and the New Republic/Resistance the bloated, inefficient but more powerful superpower. It would have been a nice inversion.

This x 100

I feel like every time this movie had the choice between doing something novel and unexpected, or something predictable and repetitive, they went with the latter.

According to critics (lolol) it was, but thankfully I think most fans realize it's nonsense.

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
Gotta blame Abrahams and Disney for wiping out the New Republic so easily. Pretty BS. Seeing a full on war with the First Order as the underdog would’ve been great.