Herochat

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - *SPOILERS*

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - *SPOILERS*
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Most of us are not that old. I'm like one of the oldest people here and I'm only 35.

And yeah I'm still fucking hyped and will be hyped for a long time. Marvel makes pure candy and in a world that full of bullshit and brussel sprouts I still need some candy.

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2018, 07:55:13 PM »
Most of us are not that old. I'm like one of the oldest people here and I'm only 35.

And yeah I'm still fucking hyped and will be hyped for a long time. Marvel makes pure candy and in a world that full of bullshit and brussel sprouts I still need some candy.

Ill be your huckleberry

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
applaude

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:54 PM »
When I'm 50, I'll still be geeking over this shit.  I spent my entire childhood wanting to see a cinematic superhero universe, so I'm on this train as long as it's running.

Bran Mak Morn

• +13/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »
When I'm 50, I'll still be geeking over this shit.  I spent my entire childhood wanting to see a cinematic superhero universe, so I'm on this train as long as it's running.

Yeah I'm 50 this year & I also remember thinking the same, seeing fav characters finally being adapted onto the big screen.
Batman/Burton, Sin City, 300, Supes saving the plane in Returns, Batman Begins & 1st Avengers was WOW!
But then the hit & misses, the mediocre sequels, production company politics tampering...I kinda got jaded falling for the hype.

Sadly I don't have much faith in rebooting the Xmen franchise.
And if the Avengers & XMen ever share the same screen together, it's going to be tainted with copyright issues & the need for pretty actors to fill in the spandex.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2018, 12:17:22 AM »

Yeah I'm 50 this year & I also remember thinking the same, seeing fav characters finally being adapted onto the big screen.
Batman/Burton, Sin City, 300, Supes saving the plane in Returns, Batman Begins & 1st Avengers was WOW!
But then the hit & misses, the mediocre sequels, production company politics tampering...I kinda got jaded falling for the hype.

Sadly I don't have much faith in rebooting the Xmen franchise.
And if the Avengers & XMen ever share the same screen together, it's going to be tainted with copyright issues & the need for pretty actors to fill in the spandex.

What copyrights issues would there be?

Bran Mak Morn

• +13/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2018, 12:43:17 AM »
I'm just recounting Sony/Spiderman.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2018, 12:59:20 AM »
I'm just recounting Sony/Spiderman.

Except Marvel will own X-Men when all is said and done.  There is no sharing.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2018, 01:20:54 AM »
The only movie series I loved as a kid a I care nothing about is (Ironic placement) Star Wars. Heck, I enjoyed going to Justice League - For as much as DC failed, they tried hard enough going from BvS to JL that it gives me hope.

Bran Mak Morn

• +13/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
I enjoyed going to Justice League - For as much as DC failed, they tried hard enough going from BvS to JL that it gives me hope.

Personally I enjoyed more the audaciousness of BVS than the blatant studio interferences that came with JL.

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
To clarify a point, I don't think Marvel is in "danger."

They're at the end of a 10 year story arc and they are at a crossroads; they can't just add in characters to an existing and compelling story line that's been gaining momentum from day one.

They will have to replace the stars that have built their universe ; Chris Hemsworth decided to play Thor for as long as Marvel wanted AFTER extracting creative concessions, namely Hemsworth wanted to have fun as a comedic actor rather than play a drab Shakespearean Thor.

RDJ and Evans will likely show up in cameos or short segments but I doubt that 10 years in either will be willing to forego the capital they've built up financially and in terms of creative leeway to create the projects they want in Hollywood. I'd also factor in that Evans has to diet and train lots of fat off and muscle on everytime he suits up and that's likely tiring for anyone.

Even RDJ has to show up in relatively good shape

We'll see how they do it but I trust Feige implicitly. They will have to work harder and they can't phone it in like they have for the last 5 years, but I'm positive that Feige will pull it off

I think DC will get its act together as well

In a strange way, JL might have beena good thing.

Kevin Tsujihara and the suits at Warner were heard all the warnings but kept coming up between 600-900 million per film. That's not Marvel money but for "good enough" executives who're protecting their bonuses I can't iamgine that they cared all that much. Once JL hit and the non-die hard DC fans were picked off, Warner clearly got the message

We've seen an enormous shakeup at the top end and DC has finally gotten what it most needed, a central controlling figure to control creativer and marke5ing. I forget his name but he's a James Wan protege and James Wan is one of the best horror directors out there and he's equally as good as a creative and a business man. Hell,m he got one of the Fast and the Furious's best box offices to date so he knows franchises.

I expect Aquaman the solo film has potential.

DC has a lot going for it now. It has some clearly established winners: Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins, Margot Robbie's Harley, James Wan, Henry Cavill (he has a good following), Duane Johnson under contract and Viola Davis. Talent wise they have a deep bench. If they get it together with their Feige like leader, they will put out films that reflect their talent pool.

And agreed - board members here range from their 20's to their 50's and I honestly don't see people not geeking out over superhero films and the genre in general. Why would anone stop? If people enjoy comic books and great fiction then there's always something else to enjoy. Tastes might become more sophisticated and people might want more vertigo-like stuff to become mainstream but eventually people will start to want to pass their fave hero's and stories on to their kids and enjoy them themselves.

JMO

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
I am curious if JJ in the next movie will decide to do a 180 and ignore last Jedi story points.

Knights of ren finally appearing
Luke returns to his true heroic self
Snooke returns
Rey parents being someone important
Story how maz got the lightsaber
Darth Vader’s helmet
Etc

He did set them up and no payoff with it thus far. He might just say screw it and let it be

Mightily Oats

• +76/-578
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
Abrams likes hinting at shit more than he likes actually laying a narrative foundation to build on

Also, he's the most mediocre filmaker to ever draw breath

Uhtceare

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
Henry Cavill

Cavill sucks ass. A saltine cracker has more charisma. The role needs to be recast. Even with a better director, Cavill will suck the life out of any scene he's in.

XerxesTWD

• +82/-24
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2018, 05:07:37 PM »
Henry Cavill

Cavill sucks ass. A saltine cracker has more charisma. The role needs to be recast. Even with a better director, Cavill will suck the life out of any scene he's in.
Have you only seen him playing Superman or something?