Herochat

The Punisher Eps 4-6

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
The Punisher Eps 4-6
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:58:53 PM »
I saw episode 4 and 5.  It's always fun to see Turk and I liked the pink rifle gag.  The banter between Frank and Micro is still solid.  Stuff like this brings a little levity to the show so it doesn't get too dreary.  Also, I'm not surprised to see Russo and Madani hook up.  My guess is he's using her for info.  I'm also curious to know what they'll do with that PTSD kid.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
Re: The Punisher Eps 4-6
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »
Episode 6.  PTSD guy finally snaps.  Not much of a surprise to see Russo working for the bad guys, so the ending didn't have that much of a punch.  I'm glad they didn't spend too much time in the episode patching Frank up.  The Netflix shows do that a lot.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »
Finished 6 now and still really liking it although I can see why some critics complained about the pacing as it has dropped off notably after the first 3 episodes. I don't mind it though as the character work is solid and I like all of the subplots (I'm really enjoying the veterans stuff so far).

Couple of things I'm not sure about character-wise for Frank:

- killing the soldiers on the hit squad. I know there's a big conspiracy etc and lots of military guys are dirty, but Frank had no way of knowing how deep in these guys were or if they were just normal soldiers following orders. He didn't hesitate to kill all of them, which is a little jarring to a long-time comic fan

- the whole conspiracy angle in some ways detracts from the Punisher's origin I think. His family being killed as the result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and caught in the crossfire of organised crime provides the perfect motive for his never-ending war against criminals. The way it is here, there was nothing random about it. It doesn't lend itself as well to him deciding to carry on indefinitely with his war against organised crime with this set-up.

Also loved the minor reveal/easter egg that the CIA douche is Rawlins (character from the MAX series for anyone unaware). Probably should have guessed once Frank took his eye out at the end of ep 3.

The reveal at the end of 6 was good if a little predictable but I won't spoil it until more people in this thread have finished all three episodes.

Cheers.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
The thing is, all the promotional stuff always said the guy played Rawlins, so it was weird that the show was trying to keep it a secret.

As for the conspiracy angle, the family was still caught in the crossfire.  They were after Castle.  I don't think the bad guys would have cared if his wife and kids walked out of there alive.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 07:35:21 PM »
The thing is, all the promotional stuff always said the guy played Rawlins, so it was weird that the show was trying to keep it a secret.

Fair enough, I managed to avoid that as I didn't really read any of the promotional stuff so it was a nice reveal for me.

As for the conspiracy angle, the family was still caught in the crossfire.  They were after Castle.  I don't think the bad guys would have cared if his wife and kids walked out of there alive.

True. But they were caught in the crossfire of a deliberately targeted hit arranged by corrupt government actors aimed at Castle specifically. It's not really the same as them just being victims of a completely random act of violent crime, so it doesn't really fit the traditional Punisher motive for waging war against all organised crime in the same way (if indeed they choose to go that way at the end of the series).

Cheers.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »
True.  I think he will continue to fight organized crime.  The first episode shows he can’t let it go even if he thinks his vengeance is over.

-K-M-

• +9/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
Russo's "reveal" was telegraphed. Though we already knew who he will become so that also ruined the surprise.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
Russo's "reveal" was telegraphed. Though we already knew who he will become so that also ruined the surprise.

That’s like criticizing Infinity War because comic fans know Thanos will get the Infinity Stones.

altoon

• +6/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:16 AM »
Poor Turk all he ever does it get his ass kicked .  He should consider moving.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 07:35:58 AM »

Well, he tried moving from Hell's Kitchen to Harlem once.  It didn't work out for him.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 06:43:17 PM »

Well, he tried moving from Hell's Kitchen to Harlem once.  It didn't work out for him.

That was a good episode but Frank already had the Pete alias (assuming with all the fake proper ID) so I kept thinking, why doesn't he just buy/acquire his guns using that alias?

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »

That was a good episode but Frank already had the Pete alias (assuming with all the fake proper ID) so I kept thinking, why doesn't he just buy/acquire his guns using that alias?

Because it could still be traced back to him.  Aside from that, there are background checks in place for gun licenses and New York state is very strict on gun laws, so I'm not sure he could get much more than a pistol or two while risking his fake ID being exposed.  Then when you factor in the big assault rifles and machine guns, they are mostly illegal, it's easier to take them form bad guys.  Despite all appearances, you can't just go to the store and buy military grade weapons in the US.

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »
pretty good. Punisher seem a lot more human like then he been in the pass. He can even have a nice conversation with people at times

Not sure micro wife character to be in this story..THAT much

but so far like how he plays the punisher character. Since dont think you can do a completly emotionless ennis style for 13 hours.

Although REALLY not feeling the villans that much. They seem meh.  Just wait for the pretty boy charcter to become jigsaw already

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
also what interesting he did some shit in his pass...that probally punisher would kill people for

Also like the micro and punisher interaction. Missed that from the comic

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »

It isn't THAT easy to get guns in America.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium