Herochat

The Punisher Eps 1-3

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
Re: The Punisher Eps 1-3
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
I'm halfway through the second episode.

This doesn't seem like the Punisher. That doesn't make it a bad show, but it really doesn't seem like the character from the comics.

TBH I think they should have borrowed heavily from Ennis's Punisher MAX, for both the story and the mood.

I think a literal translation form Garth Ennis' version of Punisher wouldn't make for a compelling TV series.  If you're gonna have 13 hours with the same character, you'll need a bit more humanity and pathos.  They seem to be taking more form the 80's and 90's Punisher.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »
On Episode 1 but just wanted to say, I never thought of Frank as a conservative. But it's so obvious, I'm shamed. However, it also paints his relationship with Daredevil, who's a "SJW", in a different light.

Ugh, I really hope that isn't the direction they go with this.

It's not a literal thing in the show. Just something I read into due to one scene.

What scene would that be?

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »
Ennis’s Punisher wasn’t an automaton. MAX was a fascinating character study, made Morris by the fact that Ennis would slooooooooowly peel Frank like an onion, one layer at a time. The emotional impact of him holding his daughter - and of him giving her up - is only possible when you dole these nuggets out slowly, but by bit.

The Netflix version beats you over the head with the angst, which admittedly is a common mistake.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

LiquidSailor

• +52/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:44 PM »
Yea I loved Frank whining to Karen about helping him or not. And how friendly and talkative he is with his self help army buddy. 

Yea.  Way more accurate portrayal than Jane or Stevenson  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

DIGUSTING

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 11:44:45 PM »
Ennis’s Punisher wasn’t an automaton. MAX was a fascinating character study, made Morris by the fact that Ennis would slooooooooowly peel Frank like an onion, one layer at a time. The emotional impact of him holding his daughter - and of him giving her up - is only possible when you dole these nuggets out slowly, but by bit.

The Netflix version beats you over the head with the angst, which admittedly is a common mistake.

That would be hard to pull off in live action.  The Netflix already have an issue with pacing.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »
I think it would be a problem in a movie. But a tv series is perfect for a MAX adaptation.

Rynox

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
Yea I loved Frank whining to Karen about helping him or not. And how friendly and talkative he is with his self help army buddy. 

Yea.  Way more accurate portrayal than Jane or Stevenson  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
Sad. How do you sign on for a co-starring role in a superhero show, know you’ll have some scenes with your shirt off, and NOT do a few cycles of PEDs?

80sBaby

• +23/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 03:40:05 PM »
Didn't like this version of the Hallway Scene as much as the others.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
Sad. How do you sign on for a co-starring role in a superhero show, know you’ll have some scenes with your shirt off, and NOT do a few cycles of PEDs?

Because Micro is not supposed to be a fit dude.  He's a computer nerd who's been living off the grid for a year.  I'd be annoyed if he was buff.

I think it would be a problem in a movie. But a tv series is perfect for a MAX adaptation.

I think the complete opposite.  The movie versions were all more stoic and cold, but since we see or at least hear about the tragedy that turned him that way twenty minutes into the film, the audience is more likely to feel empathy for two hours.  If we're looking at 13 hours with a main character who shows little emotion, that would really turn the audience off.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
It's not Punisher. It's mostly Rambo mixed with some Jack Reacher with a bit of Punisher mixed in. This guy is waaayyyy too human to be called an accurate Punisher.

I'm on the third episode and this sounds about right. He's got way too little control of his emotions, for sure.

LiquidSailor

• +52/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
And yet some delusional people claim he's the best portrayal of the Punisher for reasons nobody can explain beyond rabid fanboyisms.

DIGUSTING

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
Was the"hallway scene" for this series in episode three where Frank is fighting through a building of Taliban? It's pretty lame. Lots of cut scenes, terrible choice to use music with lyrics (Pearl Jam), and senseless grunting.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
Was the"hallway scene" for this series in episode three where Frank is fighting through a building of Taliban? It's pretty lame. Lots of cut scenes, terrible choice to use music with lyrics (Pearl Jam), and senseless grunting.

Pearl Jam?  What fucking show were you watching?

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »
Wasn't that Edward Vedder singing, sir?

Edit: Turns out it was "Wish It Was True" by The White Buffalo.