Herochat

Justice League Spoilers

nu-safado

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League Spoilers
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2017, 12:42:51 AM »
What's going on in Waner is pivotal - they are suits. As bad as the actual film Suicide Squad all they saw was te bottom line, the best costume awards, and the Harely Quinn outfit at Halloween and asked David Ayer back to make another dumpster fire.

Transformers and POC might not be at the top of their game - but those are still special efects spectacles trotted out to make well over 800 million to a billion. Fast and Fiurious barely made 250 domestically but took in a billion worldwiide.

I'm not saying thats a good thing mind you - I'm simply saying that Warner had better pay attention or the frachise will stay moderately good enough to possibly satisfy die hard fans, squeee out the occasional pearl and stay where its at if nothing is done in creative and getting control. A Kennedy o rFeige is sorely sorely needed

As for the doomsday prophets - if a month goes by and the film has done nothing, I will admit I'm wrong

As of right now - let's assume a 60% drop - typical for a lot of franchises. That woukd make it about 40 million to maybe a bit more. It's still Thanksgiving weekend so let's assume it might do a little better, say about 50%, that brings hhte film to around 135 million domestic with another 4 weeks with no competition at all until Star Wars.

Thats one month with a long holiday weekend that there is no competition at all for a big superhero tentpole that got a B_+ audience score

It's also a film that is scoring very very well in international markets and still has many weeks and other counties to roll ou tin.

If inernational comes in at even half-ish with the same for domestic that 281 goes to 320-330 after a week - maybe a little more after a long weekend Then it has a few weeks to struggle up to the 800 mark or so, which it likely can. There's no strong film against it and even after Star Wars it might hang around long enough to keep squeezing out extra showings here and there.
800 million is mathematically not that far off.

Considering its up to around 40 million in China and will likely make it to 120 million there while some countries havent been rolled out - if it makes 250 domestic it can certainly make up the rest abroad

As for the FF movies - kind of proves my point

They are sterling franchises with decades of rich storylines, die hard fans,mythology and a previously flourishing creative team at Marvel

In two attempts at starting a franchise Dr Doom was sullied as a character and the films were "deconstructed." I saw the second FF series in no joke an empty theater. I didn't think that was possible.

My point is - yes, DC is underperforming but there are enough bright points to have hope that it can be turned around and fans who ar excited about certain characters and ideas. Its not Marvel, Marvel is in Disney territory for now in terms of size, scope and unstoppable efficiency - but DC is still ahead of the X men, Fantastic Four, Marvels forgotten projects (Inhumans anyone Shield, Ghost Rider)

After the first 2 X Men films how long until we really saw quality again and even then, it was generally pilloried as spotty and mixed despite moments of brilliance.

I REALLY hope Warner learns from this - the next film will be a James Wan vehicle and I trust James Wan creatively and as a businessman, Birds of Prey will print money if it has an even vaguely coherent script, WW, Superman, Flash, and even Green Lantern generate a lot of excitement for their upcoming solo flicks and Matt Reeve did a great job in the conclusion to Planet of the Apes and hell be doin ng the solo Batman no matter which actor takes the lead

There's plenty to be excited about but Warner really has to make the pivot and do it correctly - I do think they see the risks and they are shaken up enough to feel the need to do so.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2017, 03:44:32 AM »
Studios dont get anywhere close to the entire Box Office receipts. Its complicated but roughly half goes to the theatres screening the film (less towards the beginning of its run - more towards the end). Then you might have shit like participants who negotiated gross percentage points (they get paid a percentage of total profits) - this is how RDJ made $50 million from Avengers.

Studios play this stuff pretty close to their vests but a decent rule of thumb is that a film has to make twice its budget back at the BO before it becomes profitable. That rule tends to bear out IMO also because if a film stalls out around that point studios usually think long and hard about whether to make a sequel.

Take it with a grain of salt given that theirs a fair bit of guesstimation but heres a fairly credible breakdown of how much money Batman v Superman would have made for WB for example:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/batman-v-superman-box-office-profit-2016-1202049201/

Im aware. And again, BVS nearly tripled it's budget in box office receipts worldwide. And that doesn't count any of the other revenue streams studios get a piece of when the movies leave theaters. The movies are profitable. Just not overly so.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2017, 04:48:57 AM »
I'm not sure what the hell is being PRd here.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/20/16679328/justice-league-box-office-opening-weekend

It looks like word of mouth has started to kill this movie at the BO. As the writer mentioned, the 2nd week will see if the BO recipients manages to eke out the required amount to consider a hit HOWEVER, the 2nd week is the usual determiner if the movie will go on to succeed or fail. If word of mouth keeps spreading how JL is Suicide Squad II, then WB may as well revamp the entire DCEU and reboot everything from scratch.

Commander

• +19/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »
P.S. Suck Snyder killed this DCEU since Man of Steel. The writing on the wall should have been clear as halogen lamps on a stormy night.

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2017, 08:15:32 AM »
What's going on in Waner is pivotal - they are suits. As bad as the actual film Suicide Squad all they saw was te bottom line, the best costume awards, and the Harely Quinn outfit at Halloween and asked David Ayer back to make another dumpster fire.

Completely false. They were already spooked by the reactions to BvS/MoS and had heavily fucked with Ayer during production and post on Suicide Squad - which completely belies your idea that WB was like "everythings cool" because "all they saw was the bottom line". And post SS they were further motivated to fuck with JL.

Transformers and POC might not be at the top of their game - but those are still special efects spectacles trotted out to make well over 800 million to a billion. Fast and Fiurious barely made 250 domestically but took in a billion worldwiide.

Its stupid to compare the FF franchise which is probably the biggest and most reliable in the world right now outside of Marvel with Pirates and Transformers.

I'm not saying thats a good thing mind you - I'm simply saying that Warner had better pay attention or the frachise will stay moderately good enough to possibly satisfy die hard fans, squeee out the occasional pearl and stay where its at if nothing is done in creative and getting control. A Kennedy o rFeige is sorely sorely needed

Stay where it is? A movie with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman opened to less than a film with Superman & Batman, less money than a film with only Superman and less money than a film with only Wonder Woman. The implications of this are pretty clear - WB has significantly dampened interest in these films. This film is pretty clearly not going to reverse or even halt that trend. In short - at this point a Justice League 2 would open to even smaller numbers.

As for the doomsday prophets - if a month goes by and the film has done nothing, I will admit I'm wrong

As of right now - let's assume a 60% drop - typical for a lot of franchises. That woukd make it about 40 million to maybe a bit more. It's still Thanksgiving weekend so let's assume it might do a little better, say about 50%, that brings hhte film to around 135 million domestic with another 4 weeks with no competition at all until Star Wars.

Thats one month with a long holiday weekend that there is no competition at all for a big superhero tentpole that got a B_+ audience score

Its not going to sit there like a sponge sucking in money. It will lose screens. It has bad buzz and aforementioned publicity problems from the fact that people know it is underperforming. The idea that it might have good legs seems unlikely given that its already showing signs of being frontloaded.

It's also a film that is scoring very very well in international markets and still has many weeks and other counties to roll ou tin.

The only notable market it hasnt been released in yet is Japan. And its not doing spectacularly overseas either - good in some places, not so great in others.

If inernational comes in at even half-ish with the same for domestic that 281 goes to 320-330 after a week - maybe a little more after a long weekend Then it has a few weeks to struggle up to the 800 mark or so, which it likely can. There's no strong film against it and even after Star Wars it might hang around long enough to keep squeezing out extra showings here and there.
800 million is mathematically not that far off.

Considering its up to around 40 million in China and will likely make it to 120 million there while some countries havent been rolled out - if it makes 250 domestic it can certainly make up the rest abroad

Its trailing BvS in China which topped out at $96 million - why would this make $120? If it has similar legs it will make about $86 million.

My point is - yes, DC is underperforming but there are enough bright points to have hope that it can be turned around and fans who ar excited about certain characters and ideas. Its not Marvel, Marvel is in Disney territory for now in terms of size, scope and unstoppable efficiency - but DC is still ahead of the X men, Fantastic Four, Marvels forgotten projects (Inhumans anyone Shield, Ghost Rider)

Theres one bright point so far - Wonder Woman. I'm not sure what being ahead of Fantastic Four, Inhumans or Ghost Rider is supposed to show.

After the first 2 X Men films how long until we really saw quality again and even then, it was generally pilloried as spotty and mixed despite moments of brilliance.

And you should learn that lesson well. Fox burnt through their audience good will with X3 and Wolverin Origins. They then made 2 solid to very well liked movies before they had built the brand back up again until they could have a hit (Days of Future Past). When you fuck a franchise enough people are slow to come back even when you make a really good movie again (i.e. Batman Begins after Schumaker).

I REALLY hope Warner learns from this - the next film will be a James Wan vehicle and I trust James Wan creatively and as a businessman, Birds of Prey will print money if it has an even vaguely coherent script, WW, Superman, Flash, and even Green Lantern generate a lot of excitement for their upcoming solo flicks and Matt Reeve did a great job in the conclusion to Planet of the Apes and hell be doin ng the solo Batman no matter which actor takes the lead

There's plenty to be excited about but Warner really has to make the pivot and do it correctly - I do think they see the risks and they are shaken up enough to feel the need to do so.

You are assuming half this shit actually gets made and ignoring the obvious pivot to WB just not making most of them in the first place.

Hamburglar

• +2414/-55
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
Yo this movie made less in the opening weekend than fucking Iron Man did ten years ago. AND Iron Man was a nobody!!!!

Rofl rofl!! Which one of you gaylord faggot gals are defending this trash? The typical DC morons? The faggot in the favela and the faggot in the Ganges

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Uhtceare

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
How do you fuck up a movie with Batman and Superman in it? Somehow DC did it twice. That's almost impressive in a weird sort of way. That takes work.

LiquidSailor

• +62/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
Brazil needs to be wiped off the map along with Israel.

DIGUSTING

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2017, 09:36:10 AM »
Going on Wednesday. Odd people are wanting it to fail and bashing the movie without even seeing it

I disliked BvS so if it’s the same caliber or quality of that then the hate is justified

80sBaby

• +31/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »
I disliked BvS so if it’s the same caliber or quality of that then the hate is justified

It's nowhere near as bad as BvS. It's actually a good movie. Just not what it could have been and disappointing, considering the characters we're talking about. Still, it is entertaining and the characterization/interactions are great. You should enjoy it but it won't blow you away.

AP

• +96/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
Internet hate will always be around.

The movie is better than BvS and has some moments.  I think if this movie followed on the heels of more successful films, it would have been more forgivable.  Now, it just comes off as another dud.

therock

• +43/-64
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »
saw it. It was actully really good. Think the only reason it didnt hit the magical 130 is because of past movie..people assuming its bad

But really like it.  Superman was awesome. The superman and wanted to see

like when Flash was speeding around and his shocked that he could see him
all the character were fun and had great moments. WW againn was the MVP

The villan was weak...needed someone stronger
Probally should of been longer. WB need to either control their directors earlier...or just stop these last second changes

But really looking forward to the aquaman movie. Was worried how the underwater scenes would look but it looked good

The ending scene makes me really hope they dont reboot anything.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile

AP

• +96/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/21/justice-league-warner-bros-losses-projections-estimates/

Holy shit!  It's really sad to see, actually.  Movies with Superman and Batman in them should be epic.

therock

• +43/-64
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2017, 01:54:19 AM »
this thing cost 600 million

if that true...even with marketing cost that insane

And I like the movie. They much have an entire movie worth of footage they cut. That damm mustage didnt cost that much