Herochat

Justice League Spoilers

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League Spoilers
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
Anyway - estimates are out - 96 million weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +4/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
This could very well be the end of the DCEU.

Lol no way in hell. DC will keep trying and trying.

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »
I hope it gets better but I trust WB management about as much as I do for Quan to concede his pet characters can lose.

AP

• +82/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »

Eventually, they'll lose enough money that they will have to end it.  They can probably keep afloat for a few more flicks, but it doesn't look good for them.  Both BvS and Justice League were their major tentpole movies and neither one really broke records or anything.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
I think the mistake is comparing DC to Marvel.

I didnt do that once in my response.

DC is still making a load of money. Suicide Squad - bad flick with bright spots in certain stand out characters - 850 million.
Wonder Woman - close to 900$, As bad as Superman batman was, its still a near 900 milion dollar film. That's not X Men money

BO numbers today had an enormous return internationally. What we see is that US audiences are demanding change and wny shouldn't they

The foreign BO does not appear to be enormous relative to the US.

I'm a little suprised that anyone thought this film would be anything other than lukewarm to good. Audience scores on RT were a solid B+.  Critics are getting a litle power hungry in how savage they're being with films. I get that the film isn't perfect, but lower than 40% is vindictive - although I don't know what the score is now

If people like the indivudal characters enough to follow the stand alones coming up while Flash Flashpoint can retcon things that don't work the film has done its job. Audiences are sophisticated - if DC clearly shifted its tone, Snyder is gone, and peoplle start hearing the right announcements the die-hard DC fans will come out - the real question will be casual moviegoers and the occasional Marvel die-hard

Of course the DC die-hards are going to come out. You cant rely on them to carry a mid budget film let alone a tentpole like JL. Modern superhero movies are not art house films that general movie goers avoid - they rely on pulling in the vast bulk of audiences to make any money.

IMHO DC will regain the casual moviegoers and with effort, marvelites will join up partially. There's good stuff coming up

Aquaman, WW, Shazam future MOS and a new Batman plus Nightwing, and other potential projects are all potentially fantastic. hell, who would have thought Aquaman would have been reimagined and gotten a direvto rlike James Wan

This all feels very inevitable to me and its not as bad as I imagined. 83 millio today - 119 total and its Saturday afternoon. Global could end up at 200 million

Well it didn't but that seems like the least important point...

I never thought DC had a chance against  THir comedy with Loki, Hulk and other Marvel superstars init. Marvel as of current has so many stars that every solo film with a team up is a de facto JL.

To suggest that people never thought Justice League had a chance against the third Thor film is insane revisionism.

DC not getting the same BO isn't bad as long as the films make money - and they are, and the films are moving in a pisitive direction that fans will look forward to. Eventually they will have built up the goodwill that several years of a shared universe rbrings.

Everything disagrees with you here. The movies are moving in the wrong direction from a Box Office perspective. Nobody, and i use the term relatively, was really looking forward to this.

4 years ago people were saying the same thing about what a great place we would be in by the time JL hits so the idea that "Eventually they will have built up the goodwill that several years of a shared universe brings" is hardly justified. Making a bunch of movies and shoving them in peoples faces for years doesnt automatically generate goodwill. In this case, as in many, just the opposite in fact.

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »
Everything FifthChild wrote is truth!Lois,& fucking BATMAN calling him "Clark" in front of the police?the CGI for Superman's mouth,Steppenwolf,wtf?,& the only one who seemed threatened by anything was Bruce!Flash's characterization was great,he's no Barry or Wally,but likeable.WW needed better lines,as she was the only standout,imo.Superman's re-introduction to the fight was LAME!He should've decked Steppenwolf ,then let out the cornball exposition.it would've felt like the cavalry had arrived,but instead fell flat imo.Snyder sucks!

AP

• +82/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2017, 12:15:58 AM »
Everything FifthChild wrote is truth!Lois,& fucking BATMAN calling him "Clark" in front of the police?the CGI for Superman's mouth,Steppenwolf,wtf?,& the only one who seemed threatened by anything was Bruce!Flash's characterization was great,he's no Barry or Wally,but likeable.WW needed better lines,as she was the only standout,imo.Superman's re-introduction to the fight was LAME!He should've decked Steppenwolf ,then let out the cornball exposition.it would've felt like the cavalry had arrived,but instead fell flat imo.Snyder sucks!

Batman doesn't seem to care about his own identity.  The first thing he does when meeting Aquaman and Flash is reveal his identity in hopes that they will become allies.  Hell, him and Aquaman have a nice chat about how he's Batman, right there in front of random villagers.

Prime

• +4/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2017, 03:48:43 AM »

Eventually, they'll lose enough money that they will have to end it.  They can probably keep afloat for a few more flicks, but it doesn't look good for them.  Both BvS and Justice League were their major tentpole movies and neither one really broke records or anything.

Lose money? How? Batman vs Superman nearly tripled it's gross budget in worldwide sales. Are they matching up with Marvel benchmarks? No. But the movies are still profitable at the end of the day.

AP

• +82/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:05 AM »

Lose money? How? Batman vs Superman nearly tripled it's gross budget in worldwide sales. Are they matching up with Marvel benchmarks? No. But the movies are still profitable at the end of the day.

They're not making their projected numbers.  Also, each movie has made less than the last.  Eventually they will start losing money.

pittfox

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
 Unlike most who say they liked it but had major issues, I disliked it but had some this I really liked about this. A let down.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

They're not making their projected numbers.  Also, each movie has made less than the last.  Eventually they will start losing money.

JL could well lose money - apparently it needs about 700 to 750 million WW to break even. Thats going to be tough.

Prime

• +4/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »
Justice Leagues film budget was 300 million. I highly doubt they spent another 400 million promoting the movie. That's just ridiculous. The movies all make money. Just not as much as they hoped.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:30 PM »
Studios dont get anywhere close to the entire Box Office receipts. Its complicated but roughly half goes to the theatres screening the film (less towards the beginning of its run - more towards the end). Then you might have shit like participants who negotiated gross percentage points (they get paid a percentage of total profits) - this is how RDJ made $50 million from Avengers.

Studios play this stuff pretty close to their vests but a decent rule of thumb is that a film has to make twice its budget back at the BO before it becomes profitable. That rule tends to bear out IMO also because if a film stalls out around that point studios usually think long and hard about whether to make a sequel.

Take it with a grain of salt given that theirs a fair bit of guesstimation but heres a fairly credible breakdown of how much money Batman v Superman would have made for WB for example:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/batman-v-superman-box-office-profit-2016-1202049201/

80sBaby

• +26/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
3/4 DCEU's films left the general audience "gun shy" about them. So a lot of people are either waiting on WoM or have just decided to watch it when it home releases. It's sad because this was actually a pretty enjoyable film and definitely a move in the right direction for the DCEU going forward. I doubt they'll scap the whole thing, though. Likely they will focus on the solo films for now and wait a minute before JL 2.

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Hollywood Reporter is reporting an opening of $94 million which puts in below Winter Soldier and on par with the first Guardians for opening weekends. 

A huge disaster for WB/DC and they have themselves to blame.