Herochat

Justice League Spoilers

superlurker

• +23/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League Spoilers
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2017, 10:54:10 PM »
Spoil me  After Supes is resurrected, why doesn’t he just solo Step?

He takes a bit of time spent with Lois Lane (the thirstiest woman he ever met, according to Ma Kent) to get his brain properly rebooted. He's a bit fussy on the details before that, so he just kicks the League's ass and flies away with Lois Lane.

After that, he shows up and saves the day just as the fight against Steppenwolf was going pretty badly for the team. 

Basically, Steppenwolf is like a Discount Zod who only showed up because Superman was dead (which made the world turn to fearful, despairing shit).

The movie is sort of like two hours of Superman wanking. I guess this is because the movie both has to serve to introduce the League and to be the scene of Superman's resurrection, which are pretty much mutually exclusive goals because the former requires showing why teamwork is necessary to face a common threat but the latter requires showing why Superman is so special to make it more than just reviving some random team member.

nu-safado

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »
I agree.

Flashpoint could keep everything thats working and dump everything that isn't

Drop Affleck, wake up in a DCverse where Superman has a ligh4ter palette, WW is WW, James Wan directs Aquaman, And the Rock makes an awesome Black Adam appearance

I'd laos like to point out that it's early to predict JL doom here. The Fast and the Furious cleared 1 billion but barely made 200 million domestically.

If JL underperforms domestically and does a standout job abroad it could hit a healthy 800 million. If it has kegs, and to be honest, I'm niot hearing many "it's awful reviews, it could eke out a better total if it does alright domestically.

The current DC films aren't going to make Marvel/Disney money - there will have to be a lot of reconfiguring for that - it could eventually get there if the good is kept and the rest is dropped (seriously Affleck - how could you torpedo this)

If JL beats Suicide Squad it isn't a disaster. If it picks up a little steam - it might suprise us

Strawman Abridged

• +21/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:32 AM »
Btw, in all the Michael Bay CGI Expo, that I got lost through the flash and bangs... what was the reason why Growlingwolf wanted to destroy the Earth?
There was something about creating a hyperspace bypass and Earth was in the way.

The pesky backwater Earth natives were obstructing Darkseid's plans for a cosmic Keystone Pipeline, if you will.

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2017, 02:38:09 AM »
Thor:Ragnorak is looking to wipe its ass with the opening of JL.  In fact the opening won't even be close.

The DCEU is dead, bury it.  Disney/Marvel will show no mercy.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 03:18:38 AM »
Let's wait the early bo has been wrong before.

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:53 AM »
From a box office POV huge change is inevitable. The films aren't making Marvel "oh, another billion...cool" money but they are consistently getting into the 500-900 million dollar area. That is way too much money to stop making DC films.

In short, it feels like the death knell for the Synderverse but turning the page into a classic, DC archetypal, mythological universe that can draw real talent to mythological style hero's.

Martin fucking Scorcese wanted to do a Joker movie . If Warner let's the creative have real control I think the lighter tone of the movie could sell the DC fans and possibly convicne the die hard marvels to give the new stuff a shot - if Dc doubles down on the all flash no substance dire Snyder-verse, yeah it's done. I just saw a clip of the end credits scene and Superman s color palette finally changed so I am cautiously optimistic

I think this is overly optimistic. Its not like audiences have an endless appetite to go back and see WB try to get a cinematic DCU/Justice League right or like WB have a bottomless pot of gold with which to finance it. We are 5 films in now and BO returns seem to be significantly eroded by past failures. Nobody knows anything for now but rumours are that everything is on hold while WB watches what happens with JL - the exceptions being WW 2 (obvious reasons), Aquaman (already filmed), and Shazam (seen as sufficiently distant/independent from JL).

https://theplaylist.net/rumor-dc-wonder-woman-universe-20171117/

http://collider.com/the-batman-casting-rumors-matt-reeves

Basically WB feel that they made a mistake by going all in with a bunch of announcements/major decisions before they knew that they had a viable product/idea.

Uhtceare

• +19/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »

The movie is sort of like two hours of Superman wanking. I guess this is because the movie both has to serve to introduce the League and to be the scene of Superman's resurrection, which are pretty much mutually exclusive goals because the former requires showing why teamwork is necessary to face a common threat but the latter requires showing why Superman is so special to make it more than just reviving some random team member.

One wonders why they are so determined to make one of their least interesting characters into the heart and soul of the movieverse?

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »
To their credit (Most likely Joss Whedon) the Superman we get from the point of him showing up for the big fight on is the Superman people want personality-wise.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
Well, I am glad to hear that. Maybe DC/WB will let Whedon do a Supes Movie. The man knows his comics and definitely keeps things light and fun. He may not give us the best Superman movie ever, but I think a solid 7.5/10 would help keep the franchise strong.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »

He takes a bit of time spent with Lois Lane (the thirstiest woman he ever met, according to Ma Kent) to get his brain properly rebooted. He's a bit fussy on the details before that, so he just kicks the League's ass and flies away with Lois Lane.

After that, he shows up and saves the day just as the fight against Steppenwolf was going pretty badly for the team. 

Basically, Steppenwolf is like a Discount Zod who only showed up because Superman was dead (which made the world turn to fearful, despairing shit).

Next question: So Superman outperformed the combined power of a GL, the Amazons, Atlantis, and the Greek Gods?
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
mmm No. There was a lot larger force that attacked Earth when the combined Army's faced off against Steppenwolf.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
Yeah, when Diana tells Batman the story of Steppenwolf she specifically says his mistake was attacking the earth first. This time around he would just go for the mother boxes in surgical strikes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:50:29 PM by Prime »

nu-safado

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
I think the mistake is comparing DC to Marvel. Marvel is a Disney company, is well into an 18 film shared universe with people invested in the actors, olotline and future installmetns. It's a successful tv show in movie form acting on a larger scale

DC is still making a load of money. Suicide Squad - bad flick with bright spots in certain stand out characters - 850 million.
Wonder Woman - close to 900$, As bad as Superman batman was, its still a near 900 milion dollar film. That's not X Men money

BO numbers today had an enormous return internationally. What we see is that US audiences are demanding change and wny shouldn't they

Dreary, soulless Snyderverse

A batman who is in one day, out the nexct and maybe caught up in the Hollywood sex scandal. Battfleck is distracting - I liked him at first but I can't watch him without seeing Ben Affleck cosplaying and showing up in tabloids.

Films that are stylistically deaf to creators and controlled by studio mandate - Warner as a studio is immensely loyal to in-house talent which occasionally is an awful recipe for great filmmaking

I'm a little suprised that anyone thought this film would be anything other than lukewarm to good. Audience scores on RT were a solid B+.  Critics are getting a litle power hungry in how savage they're being with films. I get that the film isn't perfect, but lower than 40% is vindictive - although I don't know what the score is now

If people like the indivudal characters enough to follow the stand alones coming up while Flash Flashpoint can retcon things that don't work the film has done its job. Audiences are sophisticated - if DC clearly shifted its tone, Snyder is gone, and peoplle start hearing the right announcements the die-hard DC fans will come out - the real question will be casual moviegoers and the occasional Marvel die-hard

IMHO DC will regain the casual moviegoers and with effort, marvelites will join up partially. There's good stuff coming up

Aquaman, WW, Shazam future MOS and a new Batman plus Nightwing, and other potential projects are all potentially fantastic. hell, who would have thought Aquaman would have been reimagined and gotten a direvto rlike James Wan

This all feels very inevitable to me and its not as bad as I imagined. 83 millio today - 119 total and its Saturday afternoon. Global could end up at 200 million

I never thought DC had a chance against  THir comedy with Loki, Hulk and other Marvel superstars init. Marvel as of current has so many stars that every solo film with a team up is a de facto JL.

DC not getting the same BO isn't bad as long as the films make money - and they are, and the films are moving in a pisitive direction that fans will look forward to. Eventually they will have built up the goodwill that several years of a shared universe rbrings.

Rage.Of.Olympus

• +9/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
Why did Diana and Bruce act like Superman was one of their closest friends? It was so confusing.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »
Because fighting a giant killer monster together forges an unbreakable bond or because WB/DC wants to cut corners. Take your pick.