Herochat

Justice League Spoilers

altoon

• +8/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League Spoilers
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »
Who okay-ed the Steppenwolf CGI?! - Ouch.

It was fun, felt rushed, but fun and I would see a sequel.

I have no interest in a sequel with that Luther.

Uhtceare

• +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2017, 05:10:26 AM »
Hemsworth and Hiddleson basically carry the Thor movies, allowing the audience to ignore flaws because you want to see more of these two guys. The caste of Justice League couldn't carry a feather.

Yeah, Hemsworth, Hiddleston, the writing, production value, etc...

The writing? The first Thor movie was basically Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time. Hemsworth and Hiddleson are just so damned good that you don't care that the writing is Beastmaster 2 with the serial numbers filed off.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
Just saw it.

Went in with low expectations obviously - overall verdict is that it was OK. The most striking feature of the film is its un-evenness however. And i found myself unable to stop wondering which parts were Whedon and which parts were Snyder and which parts were Snyder trying to make a film that wasn't like Batman vs Superman.

The Good

Superman - In almost every scene this feels basically like Superman and not some random alien with Superman's powers. The difference in his costume is ridiculous also - the Snyder desaturation is gone and so his cape is actually red, the costume actually blue etc. I liked the brief use of the John Williams theme also after he is brought back to life.

AquaBro worked IMO which was surprising cos i've never liked Nu-Aquaman. But Momoa was surprisingly likable and at times comedically capable.

Despite reports about him being boring I thought Cyborg was pretty decent at least as so far as the guy playing him was pretty good.

Jeremy Irons was good - probably the one actor who never comes across as seeming a little bit silly delivering any of his lines.

The Bad

Again the worst thing about the film is that it feels so piecemeal and uneven. Theres a scene between Lois and Martha near the beginning that looks like it was written and shot in about 15 minutes - it could be an outtake from The Office. Stuff like this really sticks out when other parts of the film are visually very slick. Theres a scene with a ton of exposition around the Motherboxes which has an incredibly awkward cut to Bruce and Diana walking around the lake at Wayne Manor - it almost seemed like it was supposed to be a joke of some kind.

Steppenwolf seemed OK to me given how much people hate him but he just feels too insignificant a threat by the final act. It really feels like Superman could have beaten the shit out of him by himself and that it wouldnt really be much of an effort for him either. The fact that a bunch of fucking Parademons take him out at the end doesnt really help when we see Batman handle them at other times.

The final shot of the team looking over ButtFuckalonia smiling while weird alien lifeforms grow is kind of horrendous - and sort of serves as a symbol of how much they havent sold the idea of this group as a team. Batman looks like Lego Batman given how much armor and padding they've shoved in - I doubt Affleck could fully lower his arms at that point.

Superbreath comes out in the final act :-\

Clark Kent's corpse being carried into the Kryptonian Birthing Chamber looked kind of icky, even in long shot.

The Other

Superman is crazily overpowered relative to the rest of the team. Hes basically as fast as The Flash (he seems slower earlier), overpowers Aquaman/WW/Cyborg at the same time etc. Without Superman it would have seemed like a heroic but not insurmountable challenge for the team to beat Steppenwolf - when he shows up its a foregone conclusion.

The Flash is surprisingly fucking useless power-wise. He literally trips over his feet, he gets shot in the leg and is then apparently completely helpless and has to be carried out of battle by someone else.

Power levels in general seemed pretty inconsistent. At one point Barry is falling or something at full superspeed and Batman saves him by catching his leg with a rope.

Character wise Flash is really hit and miss. He had some good moments ("Hi Barry, I'm Diana", exploing the Batcave) but at other times he was just the comic relief guy who would say a line that wasnt funny enough to actually make you laugh.

Batman being a Batdick for the sake of building a team is something that doesnt seem to have worked for many people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JK Simmons hardly does anything.

It is striking how much the public perception of Affleck/WW seems to have changed how people reacted to these two. After BvS there was almost universal sentiment that Affleck as Batman was one of the few decent things about the film while a lot of people though Gadot was pretty terrible when she had to talk/act and not fight. I still havent seen WW but i cant say my own opinion of Gadot has changed. Shes not awful here but at times it felt like I was watching some random former model with an accent and 6 months of acting courses Melania Trump their way through the role.

All in all it has a very weird feel which no doubt reflects the fact that it was originally two films with one director before being one film with two directors. The biggest consequence of this might be that it feels less consequential somehow - maybe thats due to the fact that there was hardly any real world hype for the film though, hard to say.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »

Clock

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
Around $94 million for the weekend it seems to have gotten.

Bandido

• +7/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
That little Watchmen-esque intro to the world losing hope without Superman was so ridiculously ham-fisted. A bunch of shots of buildings and then, suddenly, a neo Nazis kicks orange crates over at a Middle Eastern store, end montage.

Also yes to the comment about the Batsuit looking too bloated.

A great scene was Batman telling Flash, "Save one." - That felt authentic and powerful. Then they kind of dropped the ball on following up with it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:23:34 PM by Bandido »

DarthAlani

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
This could very well be the end of the DCEU.

Ditto

• +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
I genuinely liked it overall though there are an insane amount of gripes. I’d watch a solo film about any of the leaguers from this movie.

DarthAlani

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
So would I.  The league themselves were very good in this. 

Strawman Abridged

• +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
Darth going into full Hudson game-over mode? Haha what the hell?

DarthAlani

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
I'm a realist.  Don't confuse me with FG or Quan.

Ditto

• +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
Steppenwolf was a fucking abomination. My girlfriend had to ask me what he said numerous times. And his cgi was horrendous. Why not make a human actor play the part? It looked so bad.

Almost as bad as the field scene or cavill’s lip.

80sBaby

• +26/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
I saw it Saturday and liked it. There were obvious flaws, which have been covered here, but the characters were very well done. Which is what you need for their solo films. The DCEU may pull a "reverse MCU" and have the solo movies be the better of the franchise.

Flash wasn't like comic Barry, at all. He still filled a need though and I liked the characterization. Given his powers, Flash needs to be needed in some way or he ends the film in 3 seconds. Loved him and Cyborg as a friendship. Made me wish he was Wally.

Wonder Woman stole the show for me. She's just awasome and I think Gal and Ben have great chemistry. Her bullet-blocking scene was ridiculous!

Superman had a personality change out of nowhere. Granted, I like this version but it was jarring. Didn't really care for him being so far beyond the other members. Although his scene with Flash saving people was great. Also like his joking with Cyborg.

All in all, I give it 7-7.5/10, which is good but not great. And that's disappointing for what the film should have been.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
This could very well be the end of the DCEU.

Given the rumours - yeah it could be.

The idea that WB might reverse overall course and try to make a few movies that stand on their own - de-emphasizing the idea of a shared universe and especially a connection to JL would have seemed insane before but apparently thats very much on the table now.

And when you consider that JL turned out to be the "Anti-Avengers" in that its almost certainly going to make less than solo efforts like WW (from just a few months ago), MOS and BvS it does make a certain kind of sense.

In particular, I'm 50/50 on whether we will ever see Cavill as Superman again which is a bit sad given that they finally got him right.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Fuck just remembered another minor gripe:

- For like the eighth time in the DCEU, Lois screams out "Clark!!!!!!!!!" at Superman - standing not ten feet from a bunch of ordinary cops. Way to protect that secret identity...