• Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »
Plus Laura Bailey is gd gorgeous
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 11:51:15 PM »
Wasn't Vin Diesel heavily into DnD or was it Warcraft? I know he likes the genre in general.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:17 PM »
Plus Joe Manganiello is gd gorgeous
Agreed.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »
Wasn't Vin Diesel heavily into DnD or was it Warcraft? I know he likes the genre in general.

Definitely D&D, and both iirc

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »
Joe called him out on Colbert

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +81/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
I got to play 4e a little bit years ago and I was just really getting into it when the group I played with fell apart. Initially I enjoyed the combat more, because I enjoy the strategy and movements needed to gain the best result; playing as a rogue (dark elf), that was important for me to deal better damage. Eventually, though, the banter was more enjoyable. I need to move to a larger city so I can find a group to sit in and eventually play with.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
I got to play 4e a little bit years ago and I was just really getting into it when the group I played with fell apart. Initially I enjoyed the combat more, because I enjoy the strategy and movements needed to gain the best result; playing as a rogue (dark elf), that was important for me to deal better damage. Eventually, though, the banter was more enjoyable. I need to move to a larger city so I can find a group to sit in and eventually play with.

Fuck 4e, homie. If you're all about tactics and strategy like me, Pathfinder is the only way to go

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
I'm real into 5e personally. It's also the only system I've tried but I found it very approachable. I hear Pathfinder is better in terms of customization, that the math help simulate all things better, but I'm playing with a bunch of new players and 5e is still something they're all trying to pick up (and beginning to get). They're killing it on the banter part.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
Eventually, though, the banter was more enjoyable.

This was my experience with RPGs as well. When I was a DM, as long as my players were having fun and roleplaying well, I'd fudge the rules so their characters that they were invested in wouldn't be killed off if they hit a bad roll.

I'm real into 5e personally. It's also the only system I've tried but I found it very approachable. I hear Pathfinder is better in terms of customization, that the math help simulate all things better, but I'm playing with a bunch of new players and 5e is still something they're all trying to pick up (and beginning to get). They're killing it on the banter part.

This store in Brooklyn has D&D sessions, I haven't had time to go though.

https://twentysidedstore.com/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:36:43 PM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »
[

This store in Brooklyn has D&D sessions, I haven't had time to go though.

https://twentysidedstore.com/

I've never done a store session either. I live closer to Brooklyn Strategist which I think also has sessions.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
I’m kind of jonesing to play after looking through the 5e books. When I was a kid I was always into the damage dealing aspect of character creation but I’d love to play a bard. Good battlefield control spells, party stats and rolls buffing (which seems more fun that constantly healing like the typical support character does), and they’d be great from a role playing perspective with the high CHA and multitude of skills.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:02:57 PM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 09:55:40 PM »
Bards are fun as hell

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:07 AM »
Someone take me under their wing

Teach me the ways

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
You just act out some stuff, and anytime the stuff you say pure going to do is not garunteed to work and also not def going to fail, you roll a 20 sided die. Then you add numbees to that, the higher your total the better you do. Usually there are 6 stats (strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom and charisma) depending on what you’re doing you’ll usually add a number based on one of those. If you’re really good at a thing in particular (proficient) you add more or that roll on top of the ability based number.

Beyond that, you decide what kind of character you want—essentially do you want a lot of physical prowess or are you more into magic and the mind? Maybe you want some of both? Your class helps shape all of that and what kinds of things you can do.

Next step would be to do a little google research or ask specific questions tho.

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
How'd I miss this??

I played a lot as a kid and picked it back up about a year ago at DragonCon. Now I regularly play weekly (my group is running Curse of Strahd, which is DARK af and Storm King's Thunder which is light and fun as hell.) Generally we play by AL rules so we can use the characters at different cons/events. We also do individual mods at store sessions.

I assume your group plays homebrew?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:42:07 PM by 80sBaby »