So...Bendis just jumped ship to DC

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Bendis signs an excluysive deal with DC
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
Was just gonna post this.
Should be interesting.
I wonder who his Luke Cage will be? Hopefully Black Lightning!
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

AP

• +49/-48
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Bendis signs an excluysive deal with DC
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
It makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes.  Bendis has been Marvel's golden boy for over a decade now and he even has some sort of role in Marvel Studios as a consultant or whatever.  It's weird that he'd jump ship like this.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
Re: So...Bendis just jumped ship to DC
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
Bendis was a Marvel Studios consultant?

Kallor

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
This is terrible news to me.  I've always been more of a Marvel than a DC guy growing up, but I've enjoyed DC stuff more for years now as Marvel has (imo) declined.  I really hope Bendis doesn't get the influence to drag DC down.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
Through the 80's-90's, I liked both fairly equally. I liked a bunch of stupid Silver Age stuff, too.

When Bendis took over in the early 00's, I was pretty excited. He'd done some great work elsewhere.

Then he started getting control over more and more books. He stopped writing different characters. It got to the point where you could put nearly any character in their place and it wouldn't actually matter.

Johns definitely has lots of flaws, but his characters aren't all pretty much the same person.

Fuck both of those guys, anyway.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
I used to wonder why so many of my favorite creators went downhill as they got more popular. I thought they were just over the hill but later realized that they got too popular for anyone to give them constructive criticism.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
right now I'm liking marvel more than DC. the post Flashpoint universe basically killed, wrote off, or drastically changed all my favorite DC characters. Luckily Rebirth seems to be restoring some of the stuff.

AP

• +49/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
Bendis was a Marvel Studios consultant?

At least he was for, I think, the first Iron Man movie and the first Avengers movie.  I remember seeing a pic with him, Quesada, maybe Breevort, and Feige.

Propeus The Fallen

• +13/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 04:53:21 AM »
I think I saw his name on the Ultimate Spidey toon. He even wrote an even worse episode of the Spidey-Wolverine body swap he did.

My thoughts on Bendis. I think you can get maybe twenty at the most good issues before he runs out of steam and they start to go down. And that's if the character fits his strength.

He should not do team books. AT ALL. I'm sorry, but he's just not good at them. Like everyone has pointed out, you can just swap word balloons and pretty much nothing would change.

And alot of his big events ended pretty lackluster or didn't make much sense. His decompressed style can really be a hindrance when he tells an eight part story that could be told in four or five parts.

I think he could do good on street level characters like Batman. I thought he improved on his Tony Stark, so you have that with the Bruce Wayne aspect of the character.

AP

• +49/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »
I think I saw his name on the Ultimate Spidey toon. He even wrote an even worse episode of the Spidey-Wolverine body swap he did.

My thoughts on Bendis. I think you can get maybe twenty at the most good issues before he runs out of steam and they start to go down. And that's if the character fits his strength.

He should not do team books. AT ALL. I'm sorry, but he's just not good at them. Like everyone has pointed out, you can just swap word balloons and pretty much nothing would change.

And alot of his big events ended pretty lackluster or didn't make much sense. His decompressed style can really be a hindrance when he tells an eight part story that could be told in four or five parts.

I think he could do good on street level characters like Batman. I thought he improved on his Tony Stark, so you have that with the Bruce Wayne aspect of the character.

The really weird thing about his compressed storytelling is that a lot of his stories still seem to have rushed climaxes.  Like his Secret War mini with Cage, Spidey, Wolverine, etc.  It was, what, four issues long?  The first three issues involve vague flashbacks to the team's time in Lateveria while they sort of meander around in the present.  Then there's one issue where we get a big supervillain brawl and the chick who replaced Dr Doom shows up, then explodes.  The end.  His first arc in New Avengers was similar.  The break out in the Raft gets drawn out far too long with this huge build up for Sentry, only for Sentry to basically do nothing aside from rip Carnage in half, then everything is tied up 2-3 pages later.

Animalia

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
Maybe it's me...but reading Bendis is painful,the way he writes dialogue...I can find other writers boring or bad but Bendis :'(

AP

• +49/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
His dialogue is horrible.  Again, he started off great, but when people reacted positively to the realistic manner of speaking (repeating, pausing, etc) then he started turning everyone into a stuttering fool.  There were lines I had to read over and over again because I couldn’t what was being said.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »
Lines?

Propeus The Fallen

• +13/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 03:22:21 AM »

The really weird thing about his compressed storytelling is that a lot of his stories still seem to have rushed climaxes.  Like his Secret War mini with Cage, Spidey, Wolverine, etc.  It was, what, four issues long?  The first three issues involve vague flashbacks to the team's time in Lateveria while they sort of meander around in the present.  Then there's one issue where we get a big supervillain brawl and the chick who replaced Dr Doom shows up, then explodes.  The end.  His first arc in New Avengers was similar.  The break out in the Raft gets drawn out far too long with this huge build up for Sentry, only for Sentry to basically do nothing aside from rip Carnage in half, then everything is tied up 2-3 pages later.

Yeah. Alot of his storylines just have really boring conclusions. Worse is how many issues they are.

And Bendis dialogue.

"I'm doing fine."

"Fine?"

"Fine."

"So am I."

"Fine?"

"Better than fine."

"That's good."

"Better than good."

ARRGGGHHHH

And I will go to my grave proclaiming Ultimate Spider-Man issue 13 is the most overrated single comic ever!

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind a Nightwing series by Bendis if it can reach the same level as his DD did.

And Bendis on a Young Justice book would be awesome.