Herochat

DC IDIOTIC IDEA OF CREATRING 4 JL TEAMS

Riv1

• +40/-875
  • ...Kaze ni Nare...
    • View Profile
Re: DC IDIOTIC IDEA OF CREATRING 4 JL TEAMS
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
I actually don't mind the line-ups. They can lead to some interesting character moments. I especially like the Batman & WW teams.

The new League will have some members from these minis, in addition to the usual suspects.
Well i really like oddball line ups, these just didnt do anything for me.
Let me take another look at those two you liked, i trust your judgement/see if i missed something.

I don't know, Bendis is actually pretty good with solo characters. It's his team books that suck horribly.
True.

XerxesTWD

• +68/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 05:17:15 PM »
I don't know, Bendis is actually pretty good with solo characters. It's his team books that suck horribly.
He's pretty good with STREET LEVEL solo characters.

Riv1

• +40/-875
  • ...Kaze ni Nare...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »
^^^yeah, he did wondes for Luke Cage.

Riv1

• +40/-875
  • ...Kaze ni Nare...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 01:08:59 AM »
Some preview art i found on KMC...

XerxesTWD

• +68/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
I like the art. Still a dumb idea.

Riv1

• +40/-875
  • ...Kaze ni Nare...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
Same/same.

altoon

• +8/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 11:15:34 PM »
I just curious about Starro being on a team.  Don't know if it'll be good or bad but I'm intrigued. Everything else about the whole thing is lame though.

Riv1

• +40/-875
  • ...Kaze ni Nare...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 12:32:11 AM »
As odd as Starro's inclusion is, i find Slade's odder.
He's about as big a bad guy dick as one could imagine.

80sBaby

• +26/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 08:37:21 AM »
Slade hasn't been that way in a long time, actually. He's even running a team now. He's more of an anti-hero.

Thanos6

• +16/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
*looks at art* Wow, I must have missed several good-guy turns.

Anyway, I think the Giffen/DeMatteis era proves you don't need the big three to make the JL work, and that split teams can be just fine. It all depends on the quality of the writing.
Truten forever!

Riv1

• +40/-875
  • ...Kaze ni Nare...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
Slade hasn't been that way in a long time, actually. He's even running a team now. He's more of an anti-hero.

I'm speaking overall.
I'm not a big fan of villains casually being forgiven all the murderous things they've done and welcomed into the fold.   
I mean shit, you'd think Beast Boy of all ppl would turn into a gorilla, pick Batman up, and beat Slade to death w. him, not be Slade's fucking teammate.

Thanos6

• +16/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
Yeah, look at everything the Beetle/MACH-1 had to do to prove himself reformed in Thunderbolts after killing only one person. And Deathstroke's killed a LOT more than that.
Truten forever!

Upper_Krust

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »
Really interesting stuff.

I don't fully understand the rationale behind some of the team selections but its reasonably close to an idea I had several years ago whereby I split the League into FIVE titles.

Vigilance League (Vigilante's led by Batman; also comprising Green Arrow, Batwoman and Bane among others, tackling Street threats/Organized Crime)
Justice League (led by Atom; also comprising Superman, Power Girl, Zatanna etc. tackling world threats)
Radiance League (a splinter group led by one of the Lanterns with Adam Strange, Hawk Girl, Space Ghost, Dr. Light etc. Tackling Cosmic threats)
Penance League (led by Wonder Woman, with Captain Marvel, Bulleteer, Deadman etc.)
Exigence League (led by Dr Fate, with Flash, Hourman, Phantom lady, Shadow Lass, Booster Gold and Vandal Savage)

Anyway I won't go into the full line-ups or the full story but it was meant to be a 5 year arc with a new main villain for each team and then by the end the stories all came together into a big crossover. Again, just a bit of brainstorming.

But it was interesting seeing some parallels with their ideas.

1. Split the main characters into separate teams.
2. Put a former/current villain on each team: They have actually been slightly cleverer in making the villain from another franchise to the main character of the team.
3. I think it might have been better if they'd had a female character on each team (they don't have one on the Batman team) but its still a reasonable spread of characters.

So to answer the opening question I DON'T think its an idiotic idea at all.

Now where the problem might lie is the rationale behind how and why the teams are formed in the first place. I think that is a legitimate question. We can see some art with Brainiac so presumably he has something to do with it (since Aquaman is in that illustration but not on any of the teams AFAICS).

The costume designs I think look great, I love the colour co-ordination.

Upper_Krust

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
In April DC will try again with what failed b4, that's creating multiple JL with the core members spread unto multiple teams.

There could be any number of reasons why it didn't work in the past - bad team composition, lacklustre writing, no establishment of over-arching threat, poor reasoning for bringing the team together etc.

JL works best with the big 6 with MM and Cyborg being somewhat interchangeable.

Possibly BUT DC has a problem with its teams. Its mainly got Justice League and Green Lantern Corps vs. Marvel's Avengers and X-men - both of which are OFTEN split into multiple groups.

Now Green Lantern Corps is already a splinter of Green Lantern so there is only so far you can stretch that fanbase meaning The League is the book that needs to spread out and try new things.

That doesn't mean you can't include secondary characters, but any JL without at least the big 3 that's SM, WW and BM are just stand-in for the real team.

I agree but the problem is that DC already have their biggest characters on the Justice League. Cap, Thor and Iron man were NOT, historically speaking, Marvel's most popular characters. Hence you'll note that when Bendis took over New Avengers he brought in Spidey and Wolverine.

So I think DC needs to do this in reverse so it can bring them back at a later date a few years down the line. Plus if the Batman led League can get his fans to tag along then we showcase some of the lesser characters, same for the other main characters and their fans.

Now DC wants to again split the core members into 4 teams, I don't see it being successful. Marvel have tried  number of times similar concepts with the Avengers & X-men over the yrs but after a while no matter who the creator was unless you had a certain number of cache members  the book didn't sell and was cancelled.

That's not exactly true and I'll show you why and how Marvel made it work under Quesada.

Marvel basically created events every 2 years with which to spin a new Avengers book to the public:

Avengers Disassembled - led to New Avengers
New Avengers - led to Civil War
Civil War - led to Mighty Avengers
Mighty Avengers - led to Secret Invasion
Secret Invasion - led to Dark Avengers
Dark Avengers - led to the Siege of Asgard
...which more or less took us up to the end of the Quesada era

All those Avengers books were routinely selling 90k+/month and all started in the 150k range.

Now the problems to me with DC's approach is:

1. They are trying to do FOUR new teams at once, which could be too much, too soon.
2. Its unknown (at least to me) how/why the new teams are formed - for instance the above mentioned Avengers teams were born out of a big Event - perhaps the League split comes out of Metal or Doomsday Clock - who knows.
3. The threat. All of the newly launched Avengers books slowly (its Bendis after all) built up to a new threat which sparked the NEXT big event. Hopefully these new teams will have their own 'Big Bad' as well as
4. I wonder if the DC team breakdowns are teams for the sake of teams? Certainly the Superman bunch look SPACE related. The Wonder Woman gang look MAGIC related. The Flash team looks vaguely SCIENCE related. While the Bat squad bastards are those most likely to 'get the job done' regardless of who they have to step on.