Herochat

New Red Sonja movie

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New Red Sonja movie
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 04:16:48 AM »
Having not read any modern Red Sonja I'm pretty cool with her removing the rape part. It's an interesting trope. I also thought it made the whole "you can fuck me if you can beat me." Aspect really weird. Like being raped gave her a trauma based fetish.

The whole rape thing was part and parcel of the character's origin but it can be taken away and she can still have the inquenchable thirst for vengeance with her family/village being massacred. It's more the fact that Gail pretty much changed everything else about the character, seemingly because she found Sonja silly. I knew Gail's take would suck as soon as I read her statement 'There are two things for sure about Red Sonja ... she's a drunkard and a braggart.' Actually, she was neither before Simone got ahold of her.

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:59 AM »
Actually, I take that back ... Gail specified that HER version of Sonja was a drunkard and braggart when she was talking about why Sonja happily sports the scalemail bikini. She wasn't talking about previous versions.

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8313
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 12:38:21 AM »
I'd have no issue with Gail doing Sonja. 

Hell, I just happened across the old Red Sonja played by Brigitte Nielsen
Late last night and was promptly reminded how large a steaming pile of shit it was. 

I'm thinking with the effects, and actual capable actresses that could pull this off there's a bit more to look forward too.  Brigitte Nielsen was a terrible actress. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:57 AM »

Late last night and was promptly reminded how large a steaming pile of shit it was. 

I'm thinking with the effects, and actual capable actresses that could pull this off there's a bit more to look forward too.  Brigitte Nielsen was a terrible actress.

Sandahl Bergman was originally offered the role but she thought it was too similar to Valeria from 'Conan The Barbarian' so she played the baddie instead. She'd have been SO much better than Brigitte.

There's an 80s movie called 'Hundra' which is a much better Red Sonja movie than 'Red Sonja'. It's a low-budget Italian flick about a warrior woman whose tribe is destroyed and she swears vengeance on the warriors responsible. It's totally weird in places but it's also pretty funny and Hundra herself is a total badass; the actress Laurene Landon was a serious athlete and did most of her own stunts. The score was by Ennio Morricone and is pretty awesome.

There's another, more recent Spanish movie called 'Heart Of The Warrior' (or 'Corazon del Guerrero') which is a weird hybrid between kids playing a Dungeons and Dragons game, the events in  the game itself and the main kid turning into the barbarian hero from the game. The warrior woman in it is called Sonja and she looks a million times more like Sonja from the comics than Brigitte Neilsen ever did.

Kallor

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
The Ralph Moeller Conan series in the late 90's had a Red Sonja episode.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/3254/Angelica_Bridges_Red_Sonja_sp13pic1.JPG

Pretty terrible acting all around on the show, and Sonja was no exception.  I also love how they clearly had no qualms with the skimpiest of outfits on the show, but still didn't do the scalemail look.

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
The Ralph Moeller Conan series in the late 90's had a Red Sonja episode.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/3254/Angelica_Bridges_Red_Sonja_sp13pic1.JPG

Pretty terrible acting all around on the show, and Sonja was no exception.  I also love how they clearly had no qualms with the skimpiest of outfits on the show, but still didn't do the scalemail look.

Probably really uncomfortable in real life, that's why. Sonja in the comics is either too tough to care or it puts her in a bad mood (I think Simone hinted at that).

They'll never go that route with the costume in the movie. Maybe the Asylum would if they were doing a Sonja movie but not a studio going for a cinematic release. Chances are, Sonja will get something like the look she had in Marguerite Bennett's series.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »
The scale mail wouldn't be a problem as long as there's a leather layer underneath, which the scales could be attached to. I know this from personal experience.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8313
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »

Sandahl Bergman was originally offered the role but she thought it was too similar to Valeria from 'Conan The Barbarian' so she played the baddie instead. She'd have been SO much better than Brigitte.

There's an 80s movie called 'Hundra' which is a much better Red Sonja movie than 'Red Sonja'. It's a low-budget Italian flick about a warrior woman whose tribe is destroyed and she swears vengeance on the warriors responsible. It's totally weird in places but it's also pretty funny and Hundra herself is a total badass; the actress Laurene Landon was a serious athlete and did most of her own stunts. The score was by Ennio Morricone and is pretty awesome.

There's another, more recent Spanish movie called 'Heart Of The Warrior' (or 'Corazon del Guerrero') which is a weird hybrid between kids playing a Dungeons and Dragons game, the events in  the game itself and the main kid turning into the barbarian hero from the game. The warrior woman in it is called Sonja and she looks a million times more like Sonja from the comics than Brigitte Neilsen ever did.

Oddly, Sandahl's name came to mind as I was getting ready to type my post up despite knowing it was Brigitte. 
And thanks for the heads up I'm going to look for Hundra. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
Oddly, Sandahl's name came to mind as I was getting ready to type my post up despite knowing it was Brigitte. 

There's a cool clip on Youtube of Hundra wiping out 20 or so warriors who are trying to hunt her down, using guerrilla tactics and straight-up badassdom.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »

There's a cool clip on Youtube of Hundra wiping out 20 or so warriors who are trying to hunt her down, using guerrilla tactics and straight-up badassdom.

The music is composed by Ennio Morricone.

At first you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
The music is composed by Ennio Morricone.

At first you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Told you. It's a great score too. There's a scene where Hundra's getting her arse kicked by this hairy beast of a man, then her own theme kicks in and you just know the tables are about to be turned.