Herochat

New Red Sonja movie

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
New Red Sonja movie
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
Millennium have announced they're doing a new Red Sonja movie, mainly because people liked 'Wonder Woman' so they'll definitely like this too. Next step is to find a writer and Gail Simone wants to do it, so there's your writer, folks. Gail being in charge will mean this will basically be Xena except the heroine will have red hair and be more of an asshole.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: New Red Sonja movie
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
At first I was like :  :)

Then I saw Gail Simone would be in charge and I was like :  >:(

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
At first I was like :  :)

Then I saw Gail Simone would be in charge and I was like :  >:(

:)

>:(
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Letters

• +13/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »
Get ready for more sjw feminism girl power where women can kick the shot out of men for no raisin.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
... you mean like the character Red Sonja does?

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
mmmm raisins

Letters

• +13/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »

I can see if she's really badass with a sword but she shouldn't be stronger than any man, which is what we're gonna see.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »
^^^She shouldnt spell better than any man, either.
mmmm raisins
LOL
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 04:23:59 AM »

I can see if she's really badass with a sword but she shouldn't be stronger than any man, which is what we're gonna see.

It's the opposite. Historically Sonja could fight Conan to a standstill and can wipe out 50 soldiers without suffering a scratch. In the latest issue of the current comic, she lifts a hulking guy off the ground by the throat with one hand and holds him there until he gives her the information she needs. By contrast, Gail's Sonja gets physically ejected from bars by bouncers and gets her arse smacked by opponents mid-combat.

I hope to Christ that the film makers appoint an experienced Hollywood writer or at least somebody who treats the source material semi-seriously. What could separate Sonja from something like Xena is gallons of blood but I can see this going down the same route as 'Conan The Destroyer', a PG sword and sorcery movie to pull the kids in. Obviously the scalemail bikini won't be happening.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
It's the opposite. Historically Sonja could fight Conan to a standstill and can wipe out 50 soldiers without suffering a scratch. In the latest issue of the current comic, she lifts a hulking guy off the ground by the throat with one hand and holds him there until he gives her the information she needs. By contrast, Gail's Sonja gets physically ejected from bars by bouncers and gets her arse smacked by opponents mid-combat.

That's the problem with Simone. Not only does she weaken Sonya, she makes the enemies trying to kill her act like frat boys, instead of... enemies trying to kill her, because the greatest evil is to be sexist, of course.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Sick Nick

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
That's the problem with Simone. Not only does she weaken Sonya, she makes the enemies trying to kill her act like frat boys, instead of... enemies trying to kill her, because the greatest evil is to be sexist, of course.

This particular guy was the greatest swordsman in the land, and Sonja had to recruit him in the second of Gail's two major arcs. Every other writer basically has Sonja as the greatest sword in the land but not Gail ...  she wanted to show that Sonja isn't particularly skilled with a sword but is an effective fighter because RIGHTEOUS RAGE!!1!! Not because she was raped, nope, Gail got rid of that detail but because her family was killed.

The guy challenged Sonja to a duel and totally humiliated her (including giving her a little pat on the rump as she stumbled past him like a fucking klutz), until she put her sword down and beat the crap out of him with her fists. IIRC, Sonja offered to fuck him because Gail Sonja's Sonja would bang the hell out of anything that breathed but he had taken an oath not to lay with anyone unless they'd beaten him in a fair fight, which Sonja thought was the stupidest thing she'd ever heard. Essentially, this character gave Gail an opportunity to shoot down what she thought was the dumbest aspect of the Red Sonja character.

And right there is where Gail cut off any similarity her character had with Sonjas of the past. Her Sonja wasn't raped, she didn't have the vow, she wasn't the best warrior around, she didn't act as the avatar of a goddess of vengeance and she didn't even have Sonja's code of honour or characterisation. She was pretty much a standard warrior woman with Sonja's hair colour and the scalemail bikini (sometimes) who lived in the Hyborian Age.

A lot of people prefer Gail's take but most of those people haven't read any Sonja outside of her guest appearances in Conan or at least nothing at Dynamite pre-Gail. That's a real shame because Eric Trautmann and Michael Avon Oeming did some stellar work with the character.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Having not read any modern Red Sonja I'm pretty cool with her removing the rape part. It's an interesting trope. I also thought it made the whole "you can fuck me if you can beat me." Aspect really weird. Like being raped gave her a trauma based fetish.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »
Having not read any modern Red Sonja I'm pretty cool with her removing the rape part. It's an interesting trope.

See, when rape is normalised in the media as an "interesting trope" that's when all the deniers start screaming, "But we're only joking!"

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 10:59:24 PM »
I actually meant to put not an interesting trope. Which is why I'm cool with it being removed.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »
I actually meant to put not an interesting trope. Which is why I'm cool with it being removed.

Dam...And I had another rant I was gonna run with.